• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Game That You Played

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Guild Wars 2 - 10/10 I'm playing it with my new R7 260x and boy is it prettier than before.

Mario Kart 8 - I'm almost there. I don't have a big opinion on the game besides IT NEEDS MORE TRACKS. It gets a 7/10 because it feels incredibly short where I think it should be bigger. :)

New Super Mario Bros U - I don't have too much of an opinion on the game. I've played 1-1 and 1-2 so far.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Sonic Lost World (Wii U)
The best thing a modern Sonic game has ever done is copy Mario. This became apparent in 2010 with Sonic Colors and that was the best 3D Sonic game until now. Honestly, It's difficult to describe how accurate and perfect Sonic Lost World feels. It's like this is what Sonic should have been since he first transitioned into 3D. Its Mario Galaxy inspired 3D level design is phenomenal and really complements this franchise's more fast paced gameplay. No more uncontrollable speed getting the best of you and poor level design allowing you to fall straight off the edge of the stage. Instead, you find yourself exploring multiple routes with its cylinder shaped worlds which encourages exploration rather than mindlessly dashing to the finish line.

The speed Sonic is known for is still very much alive in Sonic Lost World, just not the main focus this time around and that's not a bad thing. Slowing down allows more opportunity for a platformer to be great as opposed to moving so fast you don't know when or if you're going to make or land a jump. While the latter captures the ability of the character well, it makes for a sloppier experience in a series that used to balance speed and platforming so well, that it rivaled the mustachioed plumber.

Gameplay wise, Lost World is a huge leap in the right direction. Holding the triggers to spin dash and run feels great and is even completely controllable in tight areas since Sonic maintains a steady much slower pace reminiscent to his Genesis days and is spot on with your reactions. Not once did I have issues with turns or adapting my movements to camera angles because Sonic moves exactly where I'd want him to, unlike previous games where the camera would jeopardize an entire level with a faulty jump due to a camera change. The game has its fair share of 2D levels and while not as impressive as the 3D levels (shocking) can be just as enjoyable.

The music for Lost World is often times relaxing even if forgettable. The story is simple and very Saturday morning cartoon and less forcibly convoluted like previous games and for what it's worth, very well done. Recent Sonic games like Colors and Generations have attempted this approach to story telling, but lacked in delivery. Cutscenes felt like they were just there to remind you that there's a story whereas Lost World actually attempts to add depth rather than pointless character interactions.

My only gripes with Sonic Lost World are the uninteresting boss battles and the difficulty spike in some of the later levels. The Sinister Six, Monstars, or whatever the hell they're called were annoying stereotypical personalities that offered no challenge whatsoever. While some boss battles were creative, others were just completely uninspired with some ending way too soon. Even the final boss fight was very easy and ended quickly. Not to mention, it was recycled from Sonic Colors which is very disappointing. Wisps also make a very unwarranted return as an excuse for Sega to implement some sort of gamepad functionality that was unnecessary to the overall experience. There's also no explanation as to why these wisps are on this world... They're just there, tacked on. The difficulty spike was also a major problem. It's like the game doesn't know who it's trying to cater to. The story is very kid friendly and the bosses are laughable but I can't imagine any kid getting passed some of these levels. They offered a great challenge for someone like me but also killed my enjoyment making these harder levels less thrilling to replay, a problem that has plagued many Sonic games before.

On one hand, I think it's sad that Sonic is clearly taking cues from Mario but on the other, it just works so well. As someone who has been unimpressed and even let down by recent Sonic entries, Lost World managed to impress me. In short, Sonic Lost World captures the essence of what made the Sonic franchise good in the 90s and is taking it to heights never seen before. My only hope is that the series can continue to do this well in the future.

Score: 8.5/10

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (2013)
So this game almost slipped by me as I've never seen or heard anything of it until one hopeless day when I decided to look around the Xbox Live Marketplace. It looked interesting so I downloaded the demo and I just had to buy it, which I did for a great sale price. As it turns out, Castle of Illusion is a remake of a Sega Genesis game released in 1990 and after skimming through a video playthrough of the original, this game is definitely the best version and something I'd love to see done more to retro games rather than constant ports to every new system. It's essentially what REmake is to Resident Evil and Metroid: Zero Mission to the original Metroid. It's faithful to the original game and anything that is modified or new is only there to further enhance the experience.

The gameplay is pretty simple as are most platformers, though the controls do feel a bit slippery which can ruin a jump or two in some of the more intense moments of the game. Castle of Illusion is quite short in length for a modern game but every second you spend with it is certainly sweet, oozing with charm in every detail. The game does have some replay value for those who want to collect and unlock everything as there are plenty of secret areas you'll probably have missed on your first playthrough as well as a time attack mode which unlocks after beating a level. There's no other way to put it, the game is just fantastic. Seriously, if you like Mickey Mouse or just want to play a fun and charming 2D platformer, go check this game out now! It's games like this that validate digital release games.

Score: 9.0/10

Sheik

:the:
So I finally beat Fire Emblem: Awakening after having owned the game for like a year and a half now.

I played it off and on. I'd do a chapter or two here, put it down for a two/three weeks, pick it up again and play the next chapter, put it back down... Long story short, I wasn't the most devoted to it, really.

So it wasn't the type of game I could sit down on the couch and play for hours straight. Does it mean I thought it was bad? Well... no.

Because Fire Emblem: Awakening is a phenomenal game. The Strategy RPG gameplay is deep, fleshed out, and satisfying, with some huge variety as to how your adventure can play out. The battles are intense, and the large number of enemies to fight is intimidating at times. The characters are fun and unforgettable, each one having a distinct personality and style of fighting. The dialogue is well written. The story is, for the most part, good - it's a bit arc-ish, and frankly uninteresting at some points, but at other times it's thrilling and suspenseful with some really great moments that make up for the boring ones. And those cinematic cutscenes scattered here and there are, I dare say, the best looking anything I've ever seen on the 3DS. There are only 12 of them in the whole game, but asking for more would feel like too much because weeks upon weeks of meticulous drawing and animation probably went into each different cutscene. The soundtrack is breathtaking. The finale is purely epic. And finally, the game itself is very lengthy, spanning over 25 chapters in the main story, tons of side chapters - or paralogues - and other side challenges here and there, like Risen attacks. There's also some multiplayer and DLC content I never really got into.

So in the end, I'm really glad I played Fire Emblem: Awakening, and I'm really itching to play other titles in the series. Awakening gets an 88% (because apparently I rate games with percentages).

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Fantasy Life (3DS)

Amazingly immerse game filled with fun characters and quirky dialogue. Beautiful scenery, cool monsters to fight, so many choices and things to do that I'm almost 120 hours in and still not totally done. It's so much fun and super cute. I'd totally recommend it to anyone.

10/10, for sure.

Smash 4.

This game is absolutely fantastic. The fighting is absolutely phenomenal, with a great balance of speed and polish. The roster is absolutely perfect in my opinion (though I may just be biased because Shulk, Robin and Lucina got in.) The new stages are really fun and the game is filled to the brim with content. This may well be my favorite Smash Bros. game.

10/10

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
Space Channel 5 Part 2

Space Channel 5 was a fun and addicting rhythm and memory game. I wish it were longer, but at least it had some catchy beats. 8/10

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

It's a fantastic re-imagining of Hoenn that filled me with feelings of nostalgia. Plus, there are sooooooo many legendaries to catch postgame.

7.8 -Too much water.
... just kidding. 9.8/10 - Not enough trumpets.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

This is the definitive version of the new Smash, without a doubt. With 50ish characters, hundreds of songs, gorgeous visuals, and extremely fun single and multiplayer modes, this is my favorite Smash Bros game ever.

9.9/10 - This score is only because they included the wrong Roy.

n64

Destiny Review

Destiny
Wow, people were right, this game was disappointing. I got this game a month after it came out from a friend who didn't have enough storage on his Xbox 360 to hold it for 25 dollars, if I bought it full price I would be even more angry with this game. It is a drag to get to level 20 in this, doing the same missions and strikes over and over again, slowly leveling up weapons and armor. Then it caps and 20 to 30 is considered the "endgame" which I heard was better than the rest. And it is! But only a little, as the grind becomes slightly more varied, but quickly becomes repetitive again, now with material farming. The story is boring and I just don't get why they put all the back story online and not within the game. I absolutely did NOT care about what I was doing. The game had more to it originally, but my guess is corporate (Activision) came in and wanted to make more money and decided to divide it into parts and sell it to us in pieces as DLC over TEN YEARS. May I remind you that they spent 500 MILLION DOLLARS on this game? But here's the thing, I'm still playing it, it's addicting, its fun. I just don't know what to think.
7 out of 10

Xenoblade Chronicles

I'm kind of upset that I waited so long to actually get this game. Even for a Wii game, it's art direction and overall look is fantastic, the music is nothing short of amazing, the gameplay is fun and just complicated enough, and the plot isn't completely full of generic, predictable plotpoints.

I haven't completed it yet, but I give it an easy 9.99/10.

Ty.

Ok, but dogs CAN look up!
Sigh. Destiny.
Destiny was a game that could have had it all, but didn't. Maybe some day it will. But as of right now, it just isn't good enough.
You want the story? Go to their website or some mobile app and figure it out. Lol.
You look at all the resources. All the manpower. All the money. The time. The Bungie. etc. You look at all that on paper and you think, this game has to be like, kind of good. Or at the very least, a complete game. But it wasn't.
Maybe when Destiny gets more content, it will be great. But as it is right now, yeah. It's profoundly disappointing. For me anyway.
5/10. Gameplay feels nice. It's a solid shooter. But it isn't a full game. And what you do get is very repetitive.
*may have paraphrased Jeff Gerstmann just a little bit on this one, but he summed up my feelings on this pretty well.

Infamous First Light.
Awesome. Very similar to Second Son, which was also excellent.
The gameplay and the open world environment are fun and easy to understand. Fetch is a good character. The story was interesting. Arenas were also a good time.
Complaint: very short. Worth $14? Questionable. But if you really dig Infamous, you'll dig this. But be warned. Very short.
Also, it's free right now on PS+.
8/10

Atelier Ayesha.
Not actually done this one, but very close.
Main character is very dull. She's boring and doesn't really seem to care about any of the **** happening around her. Makes it tough to get really invested in her journey. Other party members don't play heavily into the main story either, which sucks since they're more interesting.

That said, I am very much enjoying the game. I hate that it's on a clock, but it's pretty generous with the time it gives you.
The synthesising is a lot of fun. The gameplay is pretty ok. Nothing special. But still fun.
I'm liking this one enough to get the other two games in the trilogy. So yeah.
7.5/10 (may changed once i've finished it. But i'm like 35 hours in. I think I have a good idea on what I think about it!)

Boom Street.
Think Mario Party but instead of running around a board to get stars you are running around a board to amass the most properties and stocks on the share market to raise your net wealth high enough to win.

Mario Party + Wall Street = Boom Street (Fortune Street in the USA I believe, but I'm Australia so I bought the PAL version called Boom Street).
The game also has a few non Mario characters in it as well. I bought it 2 for 1 for $28. So so basically I bought that and Mario Power Tennis for Wii for $28. I loved the GC version of MP Tennis. But I do not know how the Wii version of it will go. I tried grand Slam Tennis and the Wiistick controls were just really annoying to use. Hope MP Tennis does it better.

So overall I give Boom Street a 7/10. It's very fun. And you really have to think about when to buy or sell stocks and properties and when up upgrade your properties. The downside is it's target audience is rather niche. It has just a little too much thought required to be a fun casual game like Mario Party.

For Mario Power Tennis, the GC version gets 9/10. It was amazing in many many ways in my opinion. If the Wiistick controls work well then it's still 9/10 for the Wii version of the game.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom