• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Game That You Played

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Eh, I'm pretty mixed on this game. The only reason I bought this game is because it's the sequel to Wind Waker, and I know I had to get it just for that reason alone. In my personal opinion, the game was nowhere near as good as Wind Waker. Never was a fan of gimmicky controls. Not to mention I don't find the characters to be all that memorable. Even the plot wasn't anything special. It's a 6/10 for me.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Super Mario World
10/10

It's better than Super Mario Bros. 3 in the fact that this game is FUN and INTERESTING and easy enough for those of us who are not skilled at platformers to play.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Link's Crossbow Training

It's a solid game, but too short to justify the price tag (which I think was $40 at launch). Luckily, I got the game for a good $3+S&H, so alles gut aye.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Dead Rising 2: Case West - It's a shame this game was only DLC because it could have really been more. The story ends on a cliff hanger and really has no build. Everything just sort of happens so quickly. Case West still offers the same co-op fun as Dead Rising 2, just on a smaller scale, which in this case (no pun intended) is a missed opportunity. I'd give it a 7.0/10.

Spider-Man: Edge of Time - It's not the best Spider-Man game, but it's certainly not the worst. The wall crawling still feels as awkward as it did in Shattered Dimensions and the web swinging is still limited to the confined environments the game takes place in, which can create some maneuvering issues. It's a repetitive experience, but it's definitely worth a playthrough for the story. The two Spider-Men have amazing chemistry and the voice acting is top notch. 7.0/10.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Super Metroid.

8.5/10

I never played Super Metroid as a kid; my first foray into the franchise was Prime 1. Thus, I have a somewhat different mindset for what Metroid's supposed to be. Granted, I have also played Zero Mission and Fusion beforehand, so I have something more similar to compare with.

Gameplay-wise, I like the way the GBA games go about it over Super. Since they didn't have as many buttons to work with, they stacked weapons to streamline the experience, something I think Super could have benefitted from. Cycling through all the alt weapons to get the one you want doesn't work quite as well as the one-button push the GBA titles did. Also the sprite simulations were smoother and more fluid than in Super; not a big complaint, but it's still one nonetheless. The biggest thing for me, though, was the relative lack of hard-to-get powerups in comparison to Fusion and Zero Mission. Those ones were outright devious with several of their powerups, requiring you to pull off near-herculean stunts. I didn't find any like that in Super, so I was pretty disappointed.

Story-wise: I love how this game went about it. After the beginning exposition, everything is told in-game with no dialogue needed. How you bully Crocomire into that pit and into his gruesome death, only for his skeleton to come back shortly after to scare the crap outta you. How you can use the shorted-out stumps of the turrets to fry Draygon with your grappling beam, only for his kids to silently and solemnly bury their parent right in front of you. How you learn the shinespark and wall jump by observing creatures in the wild without being told "This tutorial will show you how to ____" (I really wish more games did this). How you run across that lone soldier right before Kraid's lair which causes you to wonder about what happened to him. And, of course, how throughout all of Tourian you see the wreckage of the baby Metroid's rampage, see him attack that creature right in front of you and then go after you before running off once he realizes who Samus is, and then for him to come back to save you in the nick of time and sacrifice himself for you. I really think modern-day developers can learn a thing or two from how Super Metroid utilizes its surroundings to tell stories.

Music: Awesome. Though I still like the Prime subseries' tracks better than the 2D counterparts, what's found here is still quite stellar.

So yeah, Super Metroid. Stellar Super Nintendo game, though I'd still put others before it, like Chrono Trigger, the Donkey Kong games, Final Fantasy 6, Yoshi's Island, and Super Mario World. It's a lot like A Link to the Past, where like I can see the primordial form of Ocarina of Time in ALttP, I can see the primordial form of Prime 1 in Super Metroid.

Spyro: A Hero's Tail. This game's not as good as the PS1 games, but imo, it's the best Spyro game not made by Insomniac. It's a bit on the easy side, but still not a terrible game. 7/10.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Oracle of Ages

Finally got around to completing the second of the Oracles and I've got to say, even though this is largely similar, it has enough differences to make separate it from its counterpart. In fact, if I had to choose between the two this would be my pick. Reasons being that I think the fact that you had a past and present gave the feeling of two completely different worlds while Seasons was largely similar throughout its four variations. I also was more challenged in this game and the dungeons actually made me think... a lot. I also appreciated that Ages had much more of a story (still not a compelling one).

Anyway I'm going to give this game a 88. It isn't the in the same league as the likes of A Link to the Past or even the more recent A Link Between Worlds; however, it's still a great game and I would encourage anyway who hasn't played this installment to give it a go.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Aww, I think the Oracle games stand up just fine against the SNES title, given the fact they were on an 8 bit system you gota admit they did quite alot with it.

---------------

Anyways Zelda a Link Between Worlds 9.9/10, there were a few dislikes with the controls at times, so I can't give it a flawless, mostly R to block sucks because the 3ds XL triggers are not designed to be... used... and of course the Pegasus Boots need their brake pads replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom