• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Game That You Played

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Kingdom Hearts 3 Remind DLC

yeah this wasn't worth its sale price, and it sure as hell isn't worth it's base price, I payed $18 for a mildly alternate take on the game's last 3 hours, and for a 3 minute cutscene of Squall and his FF7 buddies

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir

it takes a bit of time but boy the story really picks up the further it goes, there was some genuinely good plot twists towards the end, though a bit too much menu clicking as a result of the game occasionally not being clear on what to do next, so that's pretty annoying

the presentation is super good though, they didn't cheap out on anything here at all, overall I'm really glad to see this relic from Nintendo's past come back, and especially be localized, looking forward to the Girl Who Stands Behind next

Last edited:

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Tales of Boreseria - 4/10

The tale of a game with a promising premise that quickly became overburdened by a multitude of tropes and outdated design.

A prequel to Zestiria--which focused on the Shepherd Sorey and his friends traveling the globe and fighting evil--Berseria served to explain the origin of the growing threat of malevolence. However, it did so poorly, with the half of the party being edgy, one-note iterations that played off of each other, like a hollow imitation. In contrast, Sorey and co. had a lively dynamic that matched the thrill of exploring ancient ruins or fighting a primordial dragon. But no, Berseria forces you to tolerate Velvet's vengeance-fueled obsession, even after reaching her "breaking point" and suddenly acting as if nothing affected her.

Navigating the world is nothing short of a nightmare. The average running pace moves at a snail's pace, which isn't helped by rivers that you can't cross nor short ridges you can't step off (like in other games). This results in tedious detours, undoing Zesty's more welcoming open-ended areas. The dungeons were particularly irritating in that if you made a single mistake in triggering barriers/unlocking doors in the wrong order, then you had to backtrack and do the entire process over again.

Now, there is a neat hoverboard that was a main selling point in the demo, but of course it's not unlocked until 35 hours in, when a random NPC popped up and just offered it out of the blue. Also, of course it can't be used until you walk over a certain point. In each area you've already visited, no less.

By the way, for a good measurement, I played just under 50 hours.

Combat, more or less, felt very hit or miss. Battles didn't last very long early on, but the more you progressed, the more enemies would become damage-spongey. Pulling off combos always felt great, though, especially after getting a full party and swapping them out on the fly. However, the low damage output main problem lay in the weapon upgrade system. No matter how much gear got disassembled, there would always be a scarcity of necessary materials, which could only be gotten from enemy drops. Because of this, even at level 75 I was putting out pisspoor damage, emphasizing how attack stats should increase with character levels.

Another intrinsically flawed part of combat is the Soul Gauge. This dictates how many actions you can perform in a combo string, so if you deplete all your soul then you can't attack until it refilled. Using a special in Velvet's case would remove an SG slot, and if an enemy happened to stun you then another slot would simply vanish. This was especially frustrating in certain hostile groups because they would stunlock you and you couldn't do anything to defend yourself. and people say xc2's combat was bad?

I guess it's kinda cool that the Lord of Spirits, Milla Maxwell, made an appearance, even if her cameo amounted to a robotic "Save the pangyons!" and "I serve the Harbinger of the End now!" Unfortunately, her simpleton/stalker Jude had to show up, too.

All of this was topped off by a post-game dungeon that had a new gimmick: Timed battles! In order to progress to the next stage, you had to clear out waves of enemies in less than 5 minutes, or else do the whole thing over again. This is where I decided to dip out because treasure at the end wasn't worth all the grinding (basically a stupid hot spring towel). Overall though the game has some good points, but this review was meant to highlight the disappointments, namely with the cast and design. To quote the great Witch of Wordcraft Magilou: "I just don't care anymore."

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
9/10
I've kinda said everything I think about this game all over this site. I just wish Zelda was a more compelling character, the final cutscenes would have felt more impactful if I had liked her. Oh well.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Spider-Man PS4 - 9/10

Pretty much everything I'd want in a Spider-Man game. Very few complaints apart from the stealth missions being crappy. Those really killed the pace and felt finicky at times.

I didn't do much of the side missions or completion goals, so I can see myself returning to it for that or to just swing around doing nothing.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
New Pokemon Snap: 4.5/10.
I'm surprised and disappointed I'm giving it a rating this low. It's a beautiful game, and I love getting to see the Pokemon living life in their natural habitat, it's really cool. Problem is, the levels can get really draggy and repititve, and the fact you can only register one picture per Pokemon in each run makes it really grindy. Plus, there are some levels with just one Pokemon, so you spend 5 minutes just for one picture. Cool concept, I loved playing it, but it got stale in a big fat hurry.

Miitopia Switch - 8/10

I kinda feel bad that I never finished this on 3ds, but I found the Switch version to be far more engaging--and I had a way more likeable cast overall, including my party, which really made all the difference, to be honest. Honestly, as ****posty and nonsensical the game was in poking fun at rpg tropes and plot twists, it still fulfills that expected wholesome rpg conclusion and by shedding some of the ****postiness in a really meta way, to assess the human mii condition, and it was good. Will probably goof around in the post game for awhile until I've gotten my fix.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 7/10

Jumped straight into this after finishing Spider-Man PS4. It was solid, retaining a fair amount of what the first game did right, although the plot was pretty weak and the overall experience felt bare for something retailing at $50. Feels like it'd be better suited as an expansion than a full game.

The missions felt samey and overworld objectives were mostly recycled as well. I can't say the gameplay was particularly bad in any way, but it doesn't feel like a significant improvement on its predecessor either, which is surprising.

It was good enough, but it really can't stand up to how good the first game was, in my opinion.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Just finished Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster and quite enjoyed it. Wasn’t fortunate enough to play it when it first came out on PS2, so I have no nostalgia for this. The game itself was pretty difficult, so a lot of my playtime was dedicated to levelling up when I could, and the game doesn’t always explicitly give you any direction on what you’re supposed to do next, so there were a few points I found myself needlessly backtracking through areas to find the one NPC that had the information I needed. Despite all that, I think the game holds up pretty well for an older generation game. Just don’t know if I’m willing to play it 5 more times to achieve the other endings.

7/10—will probably pick up V when it drops

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Paper Mario 2

somehow this replay took me longer to beat than my original file; there's plenty of moments in this game that's annoying or could've just been left out of the game entirely, but I still love it

the story, the music, the combat, the characters, the chapter intermissions, the occasional dark atmosphere, this game left me w/ such an impression on what a Mario game can be the first time around and much of it still holds up, even if it's faults are more apparent to me on a revisit

I can say this for certain though, I like it more than Metroid Prime, since I kept finding myself going back to this and left Prime for after [if at all]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom