• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Game That You Played

Crash N sane trilogy: Crash 1 - 7/10

Timing on the jumps is very precise, died a few times on the first level but it has plenty of lives to account for first time players. Keeps with this for the entirety of the game but gives you enough checkpoints so that even though the levels are short you don't have to replay the same parts over & over.

Smooth & polished, the boss fights are simple & fun, the music's not outstanding but appropriate to the level/game.

Stormy ascent is tricky stuff but not the worst ultimate level in video games by far.

Overall a fun little game to kill time with if you want something to casual to play.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Ys Origin demo - 9/10

nashville-deacon-whew-o.gif

Now that was a rush.

Wow, Ys is good. It's really good. It feels so enjoyable to play, from the combat, to the intense feeling of the gameplay, to the challenge, and the music! The dungeon was exactly what I would want out of it, mostly combat with barely any puzzling. Combat is snappy and fun. You can even jump! Such a little thing, but it makes combat so much more fluid and engaging.

That boss took me over a dozen tries, but I was ready for more every time. It was actually difficult. Very difficult. I played on normal and I struggled pretty hard with the patterns. Of couse, once I realized I could dash, that helped. If the demo is any indicator, Ys is definitely a series I can see myself enjoying. Thanks to my friend Shrimpy for the recommendation.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Henry Stickmin collection.

just as hilarious as always, and the new game included is easily the best in the series. Still, there’s no reason to pay full price for this, as it stands you’re paying $15 for 5 games you could play for free on Newgrounds and a 6th game that, while awesome, isn’t worth the price. Definitely play this, but wait until it’s on sale on steam.

Final Fantasy VII Remake (first impressions) - 6/10

Ive played four hours of this game now and I don't know... I have no nostalgia at all for the original, so I'm not bringing any excess baggage into this, but even after four hours I can feel the unnecessary padding.

The sidequests are trash, there's a lot of Dad of the Last of Us style walking and talking and constant interruptions.

It feels okay to move around but I'm not really feeling the combat, it doesn't have much bite and I've yet to feel engaged in a battle despite the Michael Bay as hell opening.

I also really don't like any of the characters so far. Cloud has always annoyed me but Barret is cringe of the highest order, and Tifa is much more basic than I expected.

I also already feel as if I've seen Sephiroth far too much and I fear they're just going to make Aerith cliche as hell.

I'm hoping this all gets better.

Visuals are nice though (apart from when it looks like they forgot to map textures to certain surfaces, like doors).

twilitfalchion

Staff member
Trails in the Sky SC - 9/10 (so far anyway)

Already at the end of Ch. 1 and am enjoying it just as much, if not more than I did the first game. Everything, from the story, characters, gameplay, music, etc., is all just so beautifully done and pleasant to experience. Being a continuation of FC's plot, it's also very satisfying to see the world and story develop even further. Looking forward to continuing tomorrow.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Gravity Rush 2
There's a fair amount of problems w/ the game like some annoying sidequests and a few story missions dragging out for longer than they really should. And some gameplay jank from the first game that I thought would've been ironed out here. It almost feels like this game is the poster child for the phrase "bigger doesn't always mean better", since even the areas felt big for how much you actually do in them.

Despite all of that though, I still loved this game. I loved the characters and the world, especially Kat, music was so good, and the story was a great lead off from the first game. I guess the thing about that too is that you sorta need to have played the first game since this one doesn't reintroduce any of the characters, it just kinda assumes we know them already. Still though, it became one of those games that I was so sad to see it was coming to an end, which probably sounds weird since I just said it dragged on a bit. The past month, I was getting into a comfortable routine of playing Gravity Rush 2 everyday.

I don't know, this game had a lot of character and emotion to it that I can overlook the shortcomings it has. Gravity Rush 1 & 2 get a high recommendation from me.

Gravity Rush 2
There's a fair amount of problems w/ the game like some annoying sidequests and a few story missions dragging out for longer than they really should. And some gameplay jank from the first game that I thought would've been ironed out here. It almost feels like this game is the poster child for the phrase "bigger doesn't always mean better", since even the areas felt big for how much you actually do in them.

Despite all of that though, I still loved this game. I loved the characters and the world, especially Kat, music was so good, and the story was a great lead off from the first game. I guess the thing about that too is that you sorta need to have played the first game since this one doesn't reintroduce any of the characters, it just kinda assumes we know them already. Still though, it became one of those games that I was so sad to see it was coming to an end, which probably sounds weird since I just said it dragged on a bit. The past month, I was getting into a comfortable routine of playing Gravity Rush 2 everyday.

I don't know, this game had a lot of character and emotion to it that I can overlook the shortcomings it has. Gravity Rush 1 & 2 get a high recommendation from me.

I was ready to go all in in Gravity Rush as a series, I loved the first game and got the second at launch. I loved the online hide and seek treasure chests and photography, that was excellent.

Unfortunately for GR2 the good was better but the bad was way worse and the last third felt as if the devs either given up and lost all passion for the project or rushed it out to work on something else.

It doesn't look like there'll be a third game but I guess that isn't a bad thing if the devs don't care anymore.

Shame though because I think the series could have gone super far.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I was ready to go all in in Gravity Rush as a series, I loved the first game and got the second at launch. I loved the online hide and seek treasure chests and photography, that was excellent.

Unfortunately for GR2 the good was better but the bad was way worse and the last third felt as if the devs either given up and lost all passion for the project or rushed it out to work on something else.

It doesn't look like there'll be a third game but I guess that isn't a bad thing if the devs don't care anymore.

Shame though because I think the series could have gone super far.
I wonder what the intention was in that last third, b/c it was a big story dump that almost felt like it came out of nowhere, like they were pressed for time or something. Especially since you fight a mutated Kali at the top of the tower downtown, and then the credits roll? Even though there's blatantly still more game to play? It's hard to get how they wanted to frame the story, like w/ Syd. He disappears midway, literally pops out of nowhere in the last stretch, then it shows his backstory and it turned out he died? Except he clearly didn't b/c he's been w/ us in both of these games and in the epilogue?
It was really confusing how it was handled that I can't help but feel that they really were pressed for time

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
carrion - 4/5

was a really cool concept and i'd like to see more games like it. the gameplay itself felt kind of weak but the aesthetic and concept were strong enough that it was still an enjoyable experience.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: the Sith Lords.

I have never had such mixed feelings towards a game in my life. On one hand KotOR 1 is one of my favorite games ever, and it’s the only non-Pokemon RPG that I consistently find myself enjoying. Everything that was so great about the first game is there, and most of it is at the very least more polished than the original. The new stuff was even better, tons of mechanics like character influence and lightsaber forms make the game so much better.

On the other hand there are a ton of negatives I have. The first game was never too hard, but it certainly wasn’t a pushover. But KotOR 2 has random difficulty spikes in various different places. Like a boss fight that forces you to play as a single specific character, no matter how under-leveled or ill equipped he is. You can’t have anyone else in your party, so you have to cheese your way through the battle. There are plenty of examples of this.

The characters aren’t as good either. The first game had a cast full of interesting characters to play as. Here there are 2 new characters I enjoyed (Atton, and Bao-dur).

So with all of that said, the game is still fantastic, and about as good as the original.

That is until the end when the whole thing falls apart.

Apparently the game was rushed out, because the last hour of it is just unfinished. The story has a twist villain, who you could tell wasn’t a good guy from the very start but the game insisted on saying a different character was the main antagonist. Not only did that characters henchman have more screantime than him, but he himself had a more prominent appearance on the title screen than in the actual game. Think if Zant from TP was not only replaced by a worse villain, but never had any setup to begin with despite being the prominent figure on the games cover.

Then there’s the very end. There are multiple different things wrong here. Apparently you get different missions at the end depending on what sidequests you complete. The problem is that the missions don’t amount to anything. No secret ending, no unlockables, nothing. They aren’t even set up at all. I didn’t know a certain character was dead until after I looked up why the ending sucked. Things just happen for no reason. At some point a character is searching for you in order to help you fight the final boss, you play as her, beat a boss, watch a cutscene of her continuing on the same path that you went on, and never see her again. There is absolutely nothing redeemable about this ending. After you beat the final boss (which isn’t even the final boss itself, it’s just slashing at a bunch of flying lightsabers) you just fly away with no sort of conclusion and the credits roll.

I have never wanted to like a game more than I do this. There are parts that I find awesome, there are plenty of things that I think this games did better about the original, but in the end, I just can’t make up my mind on whether I like this game or not.

Last edited:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Super Paper Mario

god damn this game is no joke, I'd go as far to say this is one of the hardest Mario games I've played, though mainly around half way through it do things begin to ramp up

switching b/w a 2d and 3d perspective is cool, but I had a certain fear of it when I initially saw gameplay of it so long back, and unfortunately it came to pass, in that you sorta have to comb over levels back and forth in both perspectives to make sure you didn't miss anything, and not just extra stuff, like mandatory passage ways or key items, also puzzles will be the death of me

I like the story but it's the kind that doesn't pay off until the end, since most of the chapters are just kind of random scenarios going on, but good stuff otherwise

it's not beating the first two Paper Mario games for me, but this was still a great game

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Tales of Berseria
I know.

I know.

I had a really good time with this game, actually. Really enjoyed the characters and story, and the combat was engaging and satisfying. Made me laugh, sometimes almost made me cry, and was just very fun and enjoyable overall :rosa:

Magilou best girl.

Last edited:
Super Mario 3D All-Stars

This is a wonky as hell collection. I've played the first world of each game, so this is like a first impressions take.

Super Mario 64 - This looks nice and sharp and clean, but that just makes all the ugly stand out more. There's a lot of pop in, which I can obviously forgive because of when the game was made, but it is so noticeable now. Also weird things happen to Mario sometimes, he sometimes turns into a very low poly version of himself and looks like a scary troll monster, it is very distracting when it happens.
It controls fine but the long jump feels different, like way more floatier than it was before, though that's probably just me.

Super Mario Sunshine - The cutscenes in this have been zoomed in on to fit wide-screen and it is very noticeable, they're also really dark when compared to the gameplay sections and it looks really jarring.
Now that things are cleaner and sharper the ripple heat effect is really noticeable and it looks like they went far too overboard with it. Things don't look hot so much as they look like they're underwater sometimes.
FLUDD's spray controls have been inverted and you can't play with the water pressure anymore like you could on the GameCube. ZR and R are used for either running and spraying or standing and spraying, it works but it feels alien to me after so many years of original Sunshine.

Super Mario Galaxy - This looks mostly the same to me, to the point where I wonder if they've done anything to it at all, though it has been a long while since I last played Galaxy.
We can use Y to spin and use launch stars and it feels so much better than flicking the damn Wiimote. The gyro works okay to collect Star Pieces but I've had to re-centre it tens of times with R, it also feels much slower than the Wiimote.
This last point is just me but playing with a Pro Controller that has two sticks constantly has me trying to use camera controls which obviously don't exist.

The menus between games are fine, and it's nice to have the soundtracks but overall the collection itself just doesn't seem happy to be here. There's very little fanfare about it and nothing to spend your time on outside of the games themselves unless you use your Switch as an iPod.

First impressions - 7/10

Last edited:

twilitfalchion

Staff member
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Ah, a classic.
Amazing art style, fun gameplay, near-perfect soundtrack--a wonderfully pleasant, but challenging game. The only real gripe I have with it is kind of nitpicky, but still. The baby's cry every time you lose him is a bit grating, but everything else is so enjoyable I can't complain about it much.

Classic SNES/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom