• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Game That You Played

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Kathy Rain: A Detective Is Born
This was pretty good. A compelling story, good characters, and some good puzzles. I particularly liked the times the game left you to your own devices. Rather than tell you what to search for when accessing computers, for example, the game leaves you to know what to do based on what you know. I also very much enjoyed the puzzle that involved forging a voice message from someone, it was something different and fun.

It does get pretty ****ing dark, though, more so than I was expecting it to. Overall, I'd recommend this as a fun afternoon for point'n'click fans :rosa:

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
Finally played Final Fantasy 7 (the original, using my PS classic). This is the first FF game I've played and I enjoyed it a lot. The cinematography in particular stood out. They had a lot of neat distant camera angles that gave a really cool/unique look to a lot of the game.

Very good, not overrated/10

Skyrim and 100%...

Not really fair since it was like my 5th play-through but still counts i guess :jake:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Ghost of a Tale
Charming little adventure about a mouse escaping a prison run by rats. Some minor bugs, and the enemy AI is very simple, but considering the game was made almost entirely by one guy it turned out great. There are a few nice ideas on display, and some good, engaging, writing, too. There's a lot of world-building to it, so this is clearly a deep passion of the creator, Lionel Gallat. Given a bigger team, and a budget, Gallat could produce something quite special with this, I think.

Now excuse me while I go buy all the Redwall novels.

Damsel
Score-based action platformer. There's not a whole lot to this, but what's there is fun. You run around and shoot vampires. Try to shoot them as fast as possible for big points. Don't shoot the hostages (you are going to end up shooting hostages). Also, you can fly using your shotgun.

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition: I'm not going to rate this with a numbered score, but I'll just say that it wasn't for me. I didn't enjoy the parts of the game I played. I really disliked the combat and the overall gameplay was just boring for me. The open world wasn't nearly compelling enough to keep me going. I had no desire to continue, but at least someone will be able to enjoy it when I sell it on eBay. Different games for different tastes and preferences, I guess.

I feel exactly the same about it. Haven't met someone in a while who felt the similar.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition: I'm not going to rate this with a numbered score, but I'll just say that it wasn't for me. I didn't enjoy the parts of the game I played. I really disliked the combat and the overall gameplay was just boring for me. The open world wasn't nearly compelling enough to keep me going. I had no desire to continue, but at least someone will be able to enjoy it when I sell it on eBay. Different games for different tastes and preferences, I guess.
As someone who's played it all the way to the end while doing nearly all the sidequests and beating every superboss, I can definitely get behind the sentiment that the gameplay feels dated. The mechanical appeal is being able to customize your party however you want and have them do crazy things (like making a glass tank to evade all physical damage), but sometimes getting there takes so long that it's extremely offputting. Thankfully, the quest system has been streamlined so that the majority of quests can be done far quicker but even that isn't enough for everyone.

While the gameplay takes a backseat, the characters and general plotline are the real driving force behind the game--the party sets off on a revenge mission after their hometown gets attacked, then some stuff happens and it turns out that everything isn't as it seems, etc. A bunch of plot twists occur with strong character building in between, and the whole thing gets flipped around on its head near the end. So narratively speaking, the story is extremely grounded and compelling with a determined cast that should be experienced one way or another. I'd recommend watching a few cutscenes since the game isn't your thing.

...That being said, avoid Xenoblade Chronicles 2 like the plague. Unlike XCDE, it's way too anime-tropey and the gameplay was dumbed down even more. Conversely, if Xenoblade X ever gets ported to Switch then you should definitely play that one--it has a dedicated run button!

Last edited:
Code Vein - 8/10

This score is based solely on the fun I had playing the game as a game. I liked the combat and how it felt, I liked the visual style, I liked the Blood Code system and the very immersive character creation.

I liked the smaller touches like a theatre mode in the hotsprings, music on jukeboxes and the good amount of sidequests.

I also liked playing online with a friend, it worked really well with no issues.

But if I had to rate the story it'd be a solid 3/10 because the story is trash, the plot is dull, the characters are boring and the lore is a convoluted mess.

There's a twist later on which I really liked when the game crosses over with God Eater, but this didn't enrich my CV experience, it just made me appreciate God Eater's world more but that doesn't excuse the badly told story and crap world building.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Life is Strange

I'll say it again: In gaming, I know few other games that has the potential to convey a narrative-driven experience than the narrative adventure game, or the 'dialogue choice-based' one, where cause and consequences intertwine to give you a tailor-made experience composed completely by your own moral compass.

These games are incredible. The way they tell a story where the cutscenes are as much of the experience as the immersive investigative sections, instead of a disjointed mess of pieces that don't fit together, are textbook examples of great design.

Life is Strange is an excellent high school sim through and through - it makes a tremendous and recognizable effort in placing you in the shoes of Max Caulfield as you ponder the halls of Blackwell Academy and make friends and enemies and take the reins of the narrative going forward.

It's also a game that wallows in it's mediocre shortcomings. It looks like trash, the music could be a bit better implemented, the script is clumsy, the plot is a hot mess and the actual outcomings of the choices feels narrow and inconsequential in comparison to, say, The Walking Dead.

But it's game I highly adore. It has really got me through some bad stuff. I'm forever grateful for it. Thank you, Dontnod, for this magnificent piece of art.

Personally? 10/10 Objectively, especially the vanilla PS3 version? 6.5/10

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: 7/10

It's fun enough to play. I like the updated skill tree and the new ways to traverse the levels. However, the story is silly and a lot of the times, the levels don't make any physical sense. I know this is a Tomb Raider game, so realism isn't something to get hung up on. But sometimes this game just can't help but give you blaring reminders that it's a game.

Like crawling through a body chute in a sacrificial chamber to find a room with an enemy inside and finding that the only way forward is through a brick wall. Well, how did the guy get in there? Did he build the brick wall after entering the room? Did he also climb up the corpse-dumping chute?

In addition, Lara Croft already had some pretty thick plot armor, but this game cranks it up to 11. I haven't finished it quite yet, but as it stands, I think Rise of the Tomb Raider was the best in the new trilogy.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: 7/10

It's fun enough to play. I like the updated skill tree and the new ways to traverse the levels. However, the story is silly and a lot of the times, the levels don't make any physical sense. I know this is a Tomb Raider game, so realism isn't something to get hung up on. But sometimes this game just can't help but give you blaring reminders that it's a game.

Like crawling through a body chute in a sacrificial chamber to find a room with an enemy inside and finding that the only way forward is through a brick wall. Well, how did the guy get in there? Did he build the brick wall after entering the room? Did he also climb up the corpse-dumping chute?

In addition, Lara Croft already had some pretty thick plot armor, but this game cranks it up to 11. I haven't finished it quite yet, but as it stands, I think Rise of the Tomb Raider was the best in the new trilogy.

This is an interesting take. I haven't played Shadow yet because I'm broke but I have played the other two and I found Rise to be so darn boring.

I've heard that Shadow is buggier than the other two because a different team made it, have you found that to be the case?

This is an interesting take. I haven't played Shadow yet because I'm broke but I have played the other two and I found Rise to be so darn boring.

I've heard that Shadow is buggier than the other two because a different team made it, have you found that to be the case?

It's definitely buggier. At times, the lighting can't decide whether or not the room should be brightly lit or dim. The textures on the walls in several locations take their sweet time rendering. A couple cutscenes seem to get stuck in a weird way where the character models look like they're trying to move but can't.

The bugs haven't been game-breaking for me, but then again, I play Bethesda games from time to time, so that's not saying much.

Super Mario Oddyssey-7/10 Just got it today. So far, its fun and engaging. I was expecting the Overworld to be more interconnected though, instead of a Mario Galaxy style hub. Ah well. Using the possession style gameplay to solve problems is neat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom