• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Game That You Played

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Trüberbrook
Point and Click adventure game a friend gave me. A sci-fi adventure taking inspiration from the likes of Twin Peaks and The X Files. It has a gorgeous graphical style and simple interface that lets you take it in the restful atmosphere, but it does lead to my only gripe with the game.

You can only use an item on something if the Use action is available, and the game only lets you use specific items rather than anything in your inventory. More often than not you only have one item you're allowed to use, which removes the who puzzle-solving aspect of the gameplay. A big part of Point and Click games is figuring out what items you need to use to solve problems, but Trüberbrook removes a lot of that by leaving you with few, or no, options.

It does have the benefit of preventing the game being trial-and-error, which stops it getting frustrating, though. There was only one point when I got stuck, and I knew exactly what to do, but it turns out you can only do it in one specific place for no clear reason. It made the game smooth, but simple.

It'd probably be a decent place to start for someone looking to get into Point and Click games, actually. It's not too long, it's funny and gorgeous, and the puzzles aren't too hard. I liked it.

Ninja

Well well well
Witcher 3, a few hours in, enjoying it so far. It's a lot to take in but I'm slowly getting the hang of it. 8/10 so far.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Daymare: 1998
God, if I'd spent five years making this I'd be so embarrassed.

Ten Italians who love Resident Evil start a company to remake RE2. Then Capcom announces a remake of RE2. So those ten Italians change their project into an homage to Resident Evil. The problem is that they don't really know what they're doing.

This game is ugly, it's tedious, it's sluggish, and the writing is so bad I was either bored out of my mind or laughing at how terrible the dialogue is. This is not a good game.

That said, I can see the heart in it. It came from a place of love and, really, the main issue is that it was simply too ambitious a project for this team. Not having professional writers stops the story and characters being anything other than dog****, and survival horror gameplay and level design is a lot tougher to get right than people think.

There are some nice ideas in Daymare, but they never get any room to breathe. The reload system is quite cool, and I could see it being in a Resident Evil game, but the things that make Daymare different never get a chance to sell themselves.

If they'd tempered their ambition and made a shorter game designed to make maximum use of its unique features, and kept the story simple (the simpler the better, really), then this could have been fun. As it is, it's the video game equivalent of a toddler trying to make breakfast. It knows what it wants to achieve, but it doesn't have the skill or know-how to do it. And now my kitchen is a complete mess.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

this was a great game, it pretty much acts as an interesting bridge b/w classic and modern FE, as well as a being spiritual successor to gaiden, I got a bit annoyed at the amount of units you're given yet only being able to use like 12 throughout the chapters, but I guess that lends itself to replayablity

I've only done Eirika's route, so I'll pick it up again to do Ephraim's route at some point later on

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
Monster Train: 8/10

big improvement on slay the spire's formula, the deckbuilding and combat both feel a lot more in-depth and varied. Could use some more variety in enemies as currently battles can feel a little samey.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Ocarina of Time: 7.5/10

I can recognize and respect the fact OoT was the series' first 3D entry and was innovative for its time (haha), but I don't feel as though it's aged as well as many tend to say. Admittedly, I'm viewing this game through the lens of being a modern gamer, but I also don't have nostalgia to blind me from the game's flaws. I do like the story, characters, music, and charm that the game has in spades, but the controls, dungeon design, and overall mechanics are fairly clunky or obscure by modern standards, even in the 3DS version. It's definitely not my favorite Zelda, but it's still a good game and established what would be a solid formula for 3D Zelda in the future.

The King's Bird - 8/10 + 0/10

I was enjoying this game and the unique mechanics and puzzles it had... But it's actually broken in Switch.

It breaks on the last world and makes it so you can't complete it. It'll just constantly crash your console if you keep trying to progress.

Avoid it on Switch.

twilitfalchion

Staff member
Link's Awakening HD: 8.5/10

This was definitely an experience. When it comes to my preferences in video games, I almost always prioritize story and "feel" over the best gameplay or graphics. In the case of LA, it really delivered on the story and charm (the soundtrack is spectacular as well), and had some good gameplay and graphics to go with it. The game is straight-up quirky and weird at times, but it's that quirkiness that gives LA its unique character. And I love every bit of it, especially the ending, which is probably one of the best endings to any Zelda game I've played. Concerning gameplay, I found the bosses to be either annoying or pathetically easy and the dungeons were good, if a bit obscure at times. I don't particularly love the art style, but it did grow on me as I played and I think it suits the dreamy atmosphere of Koholint Island. The technical issues did get irritating in some situations (Goponga Swamp especially suffers from this), but overall the frame rate isn't too terrible. I haven't played much 2D Zelda, but LAHD is probably my favorite 2D Zelda and definitely in my top 5 Zelda games overall.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
Finally played deltarune. It was enjoyable, but I'm not sure how I want to rate it considering it was kind of a partial experience.

Ninja

Well well well
The Last of Us Part 2 - 9/10.

For the most part it was very enjoyable, immersive, dark, and fulfilling. Just beat it a few moments ago and I feel empty. Need some time to process.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
The House in Fata Morgana
Got this after @Sheikah_Witch wrote a blog praising it a while back.

Despite this being not only a visual novel but a visual novel with incredibly sparse moments of player interaction even by the genre's standards, I really enjoyed my time with Fata Morgana. It's moving, engrossing, and enrapturing. It's melodramatic most of the time, but it's a tone that it wears well. The story keeps building you up and beating you down, every glimmer of hope is crushed under a dark boot of despair and suffering, but the overriding emotion I felt while playing was hope. You want to see the lead characters find their happiness so much that you endure the seemingly unending tragedies of the story.

The closest thing I have to a gripe with the game is its length. Well, not the length itself, because I sincerely believe the game uses its time to really examine and delve deep into its characters and scenarios. It's more that I kept expecting the game to end looooooooong before it did. Several times. That feeling of anticipating a climax, only to have it go on for another seven hours, then feeling like things would start wrapping up, only to have it go on for another ten hours, then to feel like it was about to end, only for it to go on for another six hours... It was exhausting at times, lol

I would recommend Fata Morgana, though. As long as you go in aware that it's going to be, like, thirty hours of reading with only a handful of interactions, you'll find an engrossing, emotional, and moving story about love and the endurance of the human spirit :rosa:

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
The Last of Us Part II - ?/10

I think I, at long last, have managed to try to formulate an opinion on this game.

I've rarely been this conflicted. I simultaneously want to call it vastly inferior to the first game while saying it's a 10. I simultaneously want to call it a masterful perfection of game design while saying the story is weak and disjointed. I simultaneously - also - want to endlessly praise that harrowing ending, while pointing out imperfections in the pacing and flow of the gameplay. Parts of the game are downright mediocre, other parts will stick with me forever.

It's been one hell of a ride, for sure. I can't deny the fact that the game has had such an effect on me, and has to grade it. But there's no denying the glaring and obvious flaws either, especially in the narrative department.

So let's split it up with the four things I love most about games.

Level design integrity: 9.5/10
Tactile feedback: 9/10
Narrative weight: 8/10
Immersion: 10/10

But with more 'classic' metrics, it goes:

Graphics: 10/10
Music: 7/10
Story: 6/10
Play time/pacing: 6/10

Man, I don't know.

twilitfalchion

Staff member
The Minish Cap (haven't finished yet, roughly halfway through I think): 8.5/10

Been playing through MC in the past week and I've been enjoying it so far. The spritework in MC is my personal favorite look for 2D Zelda and the music is nice, even if it does feature multiple songs from ALttP and OoT with slight changes. The gameplay is fun and challenging and Link controls very well compared to ALttP, in my opinion at least. I think the dungeon design is very creative and the puzzles are satisfying to complete. The story is fine, I guess. For me, Ezlo isn't that interesting of a character as much as he is enjoyable as a gameplay mechanic. I'm looking forward to continuing playing when I get the chance this week.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
The Room
Fun puzzle game. Doesn't hold your hand and lets you feel smart. Also very pretty to look at.

The Room 2
Fun puzzle game. Doesn't hold your hand and lets you feel smart. Also very pretty to look at.

The Room 3
Fun puzzle game. Doesn't hold your hand and lets you feels smart. Also very spooky, I got spooked a few times.

The Room

The Room 2

The Room 3
Fun puzzle game. Doesn't hold your hand and lets you feels smart. Also very spooky, I got spooked a few times.

And next for you
latest

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom