• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Game That You Played

Dead Space: As a long time Resident Evil fan, Dead Space really hit the spot. If you like survival horror or action horror, this game is extremely solid. It has some great UI, a good sci-fi story + setting, and the limb system adds it's own unique taste to the genre. Extremely bad ♥♥♥.

9/10.

Skunk

Floof
Kingdom Hearts Unchained X - 7/10

Okay, so the way I rate stuff is every game starts at a 5/10, which is as mediocre and bland of a game as could be, with no major bugs or killer flaws, but it doesn't do anything particularly well or leave any kind of impression. A 1/10 is something unplayable, with nothing that redeems the game to me, that is either broken to the point where it's unplayable or so poorly executed that playing it is a process that actively causes suffering. A 10/10 is the opposite, a game that has a lot to love, that is very polished and does everything it sets out to do extremely well.

Anyway, KHUx is somewhere between a five and ten for me, in the nebulous area of "Yeah, that's a pretty good game". The gameplay is great and has great flow, with a turn-based combat system centered around different medals that can be leveled, evolved, bought, and sold. Medals all have their own different abilities, as well as their own stats. The game isn't very heavy handed with these, it's pretty easy to tell if a medal is something that could be used right away and is fairly powerful or if it's something that would need a bit of work to be used. The medals combine with your characters stats and levels as well, to provide even more varied effects. Medals are equipped to your characters weapon, one of several Keyblades unlocked during the course of the game.

Keyblades introduce an interesting aspect to gameplay, that being a kind of rock-paper-scissors system. All medals are either strength, speed, or magic proficient, and so are all of the enemies in the game. Quests, as all of the different stages are called, tend to be themed around strength, speed, or magic, and so using medals that are strong to whatever the general theme of the level is. Keyblades enhance the power of medals they share an aspect with, for example the Lady Luck Keyblade enhances the power of speed medals. Keyblades can also be upgraded using items found throughout the game's quests.

One of the problems with gameplay that could have been changed is that gameplay doesn't feel different based on what aspect you use, so for instance using magic medals isn't very different from using strength or speed medals. There are different animations, and they're great, but the gameplay itself doesn't change much aside from doing more damage to enemies.

KHUx is a single player experience largely, although there is a party system and multiplayer. I don't know very much about this since I just started, but it does seem to be of note.

Each of the games quests take place in Disney themed worlds, because Kingdom Hearts. They all feel very nice, and the levels are designed pretty well. Wonderland feels like Wonderland, Agrabah feels like Agrabah, and so on. Also, on Agrabah, I actually like this game's take on Agrabah better than really any of the other games, though that's probably just me.

The aesthetic is excellent, and the graphics complement that. Everything has a very cutesy yet unique look to it, and yet giant bosses still do feel threatening even though they're adorable. There's tons of options for character customization, be that in skin colour or hair or facial structure, or in outfits or Keyblades or medals, and they all look great.

One part of character customization that's really great is that the game starts off with some default outfit options, hairstyles, and things like that, but through beating the quests while completing certain conditions or upon leveling up the player gets coins to let them unlock even more options. Each option has an Avatar Board, basically a perk tree that when filled or nearly filled unlocks the option. Each node or perk boosts the players stats, how powerful of medals they can use, or other things of that nature. The best part is that even if you don't use whatever you unlock, you still get the different buffs.

The story, as far as I've seen so far, is somewhat minimal, but the game is fairly long and there's still even more being added, so it will probably grow, and I'm not very far, so there's probably a lot I haven't seen yet. The game doesn't require any prior knowledge of Kingdom Hearts to play. Though it is canon, it's set long before any of the other games, in the time just before and leading up to a massive war between all of the Keyblade wielders. You, of course, are one of them, and at the start of the game, you choose from one of five groups called Unions that are sort of kind of maybe working with and working against each other. You're tasked by the leader of your Union to go into each of the different worlds to help people, accompanied by a smol floof named Chirithy, and monsters have started appearing everywhere, so you have your work cut out for you.

The music is pretty good, the soundtrack isn't one I'd necessarily listen to while not playing, although it doesn't make me want to turn the volume off and listen to something else while I am.

The game is free to play, and from what I've seen so far free to win. There are microtransactions, to get jewels that can be exchanged for medals or special offer outfits that often come bundled with big stat boosts or powerful medals. They're not especially cheap, but they're not especially necessary, so there's not much to complain about with them. The option is there, but the game doesn't compel you to use it.

If there was anything I'd like to see from that game that could take it from being a good game to a great game is finding away to increase difference in combat. Strategies are plenty, and hard core players do things that are amazing, but at it's core nothing is different from strength to speed to magic, and that's kind of a shame. Having differences would encourage players to form and join parties, because then they could get help with some levels they're not specialized for from their party members. Another thing that KHUx doesn't do that it probably should is have a kind of advancement system in Unions. Having the Unions basically be similar aside from their looks and leaders is fine, after all it's one of the first decisions you make as a player and giving the player a choice between radically different factions before they could experience them all would be poor design, but having different stations in a Union would offer more opportunities for gameplay. Players could receive rank specific daily or weekly goals based on their Union, there could be special raid bosses based on rank, and it would foster a more social relationship between players because they'd have people to look up to and aspire to be like.

Overall, 7/10 owo

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GOTY (XBOX)

Genre: Open-World RPG/Action RPG
Length: Infinity

I played this game originally on PC back in 2003/2004, and I loved it. A lot. I almost failed out of college because of this game. Years later, and after my wife forced me to get rid of my old computer that had this game on it, I was able to get my mitts on the XBOX GOTY version of the game. The XBOX version is inferior to the PC version, but honestly, it isn't a huge step down. A few things like menu customization and hotkeys are absent, but overall, it's the same game.

And it still holds up. It's better than Oblivion by a mile, and better than Skyrim by 100, for various reasons which I won't get into here. The combat can be frustrating at first, as any "roll of the dice" type gameplay can be. But everything else—everything—is incredible. The story, the loot, the items, the quests, the guilds, the lore, the writing, the overall feel of the game feels so much more genuine than the generic setting of Oblivion and the watered-down-for-the-masses crapfest that was Skyrim.

I can't call this the best game in the series, because I've never played TES I or TES II, but this is the best since them, at least. It's available on STEAM, and it's worth getting. It's as close to perfect as a game can get.

★★★★★

That's FIVE out of FIVE.

Dead Space: As a long time Resident Evil fan, Dead Space really hit the spot. If you like survival horror or action horror, this game is extremely solid. It has some great UI, a good sci-fi story + setting, and the limb system adds it's own unique taste to the genre. Extremely bad ♥♥♥.

9/10.

Dead Space 2: Basically a bunch of minor improvements over DS1 makes a huge deal. Lot's of tie ins to 1, so its great to play them back to back. Only thing I didn't like was that the PC version was basically intentionally given a bunch of the DLC/newgame+ stuff from the start because EA was to lazy to properly implement it. Played with a 60 FPS mode and vsync, looked like a$$ @ 30 fps @Emma .

9.5/10

Attack on Titan: Wings of Freedom

Another quality game from Tecmo, its a shake up from the traditional DW skin changes like Arslan, Dragon Quest and Hyruke Warriors.

The ODM gear works great and movement is better than feared it would be. The missions dont feel tacked on and fit in well with he events of the anime. Theres a lot of side content too to pad out the admittedly short main campaign (though there is more after the main ending).

8/10

Loses points because sometimes the camera can bug out but it doesnt happen too ofter and its usually an easy fix.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Overwatch: 4/5

The gameplay reminds me greatly of Splatoon. Objective based matches, greatly different weapons, using basic platforming skills to out-flank your opponents. Personally, I like Pharah the most, though I think her jetpack runs out of fuel too fast. I feel the characters are well balanced (except that ***** D. Va, she can go die in a hole). Lastly, the maps are diverse and have different "variations" to them. For example, a game mode would have three rounds and the stage would be Greece, yet after each round, you'd change variations, but still be in Greece with your K/D ratio. Overall, although the game is a little overrated, I can see why people love to hype it up so much.

Attack on Titan: Wings of Freedom: 4/5

Spirit gave an amazing review on this game, and it matches almost exactly how I feel about it. I would still like to say that I think that with all the recent failures of AoT game-adaptations there's been, that this one has been overlooked. It's severly under rated. There's a classic Koei Tecmo feel about the game throughout. If you like Dynasty Warriors, Hyrule Warriors, or any if the old Spiderman games for Gamecube and PS2, I think you'll like this game. It's very faithful to the anime plot and you can even play as Titans! It feel so satisfying choke-slamming other Titans and yelling "BOOM Motha-****a!" In your head while you do it. Definitely a fun game. Other than ODM gear malfunctions and camera spazing out sometimes, it's a great game.

Overwatch: 4/5

The gameplay reminds me greatly of Splatoon. Objective based matches, greatly different weapons, using basic platforming skills to out-flank your opponents. Personally, I like Pharah the most, though I think her jetpack runs out of fuel too fast. I feel the characters are well balanced (except that ***** D. Va, she can go die in a hole). Lastly, the maps are diverse and have different "variations" to them. For example, a game mode would have three rounds and the stage would be Greece, yet after each round, you'd change variations, but still be in Greece with your K/D ratio. Overall, although the game is a little overrated, I can see why people love to hype it up so much.

Attack on Titan: Wings of Freedom: 4/5

Spirit gave an amazing review on this game, and it matches almost exactly how I feel about it. I would still like to say that I think that with all the recent failures of AoT game-adaptations there's been, that this one has been overlooked. It's severly under rated. There's a classic Koei Tecmo feel about the game throughout. If you like Dynasty Warriors, Hyrule Warriors, or any if the old Spiderman games for Gamecube and PS2, I think you'll like this game. It's very faithful to the anime plot and you can even play as Titans! It feel so satisfying choke-slamming other Titans and yelling "BOOM Motha-****a!" In your head while you do it. Definitely a fun game. Other than ODM gear malfunctions and camera spazing out sometimes, it's a great game.

Oooh yeah, AOT is totally a spiderman game. Haha!

Pokémon FireRed - 3/4

It's a bit complicated actually. While I do enjoy the game and it fixes a lot that was wrong in Gen I, I did like the more sequence breakey feel that former generation had. And despised the Sevii Islands sidequest.
Oh well, it's still a good game imo.

Ocarina of Time 9/10. I have actually never played it before and it was very good. But coming from someone with 0 nostalgia for it... Twilight Princess was a better game to me. I know, booo.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 8.5/10
Although the game was excellent for a portable device, I still wish that the mansions were not broken up into missions. I hope that if there is a sequel it will be on a home console like the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom