• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rare to Make New Conker??!

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
So, Conker on the N64 was one of my favourite games on the system. Let it be known.

Rare in recent years has pretty much become an exclusive Kinect developer, much to people's disappointment. With new Xbox Team removing Kinect being bundled with every Xbox, Head of Xbox Phil Spencer had this to say about Rare, considering people's questions about what they would do now that Xbox aren't pushing the Kinect as hard:

Phil Spencer said:
"They're in the process of evaluating what they want to do next... you'll know that forcing a studio to do something is never a successful equation. So they're free to look at all different kinds of opportunities, they always have been, and we're having a great time trying to work out with them what their next game might be, but we have nothing to announce right now."

TotalXbox

And just dug-up on NeoGAF is this new domain name registering.

Ooccoo said:
conker.com
Registrant Organization: Microsoft Corporation
Updated Date: 2014-03-01

CONFIRMED

So Rare's next title may be a reboot of Conker? pls. pls yes. Whether or not it'll be showed at E3 is unknown, though nothing has been leaked, rumoured, or even discussed, bar this new domain. It could also be a hoax, mind, but Microsoft themselves registered and so it would be quite elaborate to fake this. Nothing could come of it either, many products associated with domain names registered have never seen the light of day.

If there is going to be a new Conker game... Hell yeah! <3

CemEg8o.giff

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
I'm actually kind of scared of the possibilities, I liked the original game, the multiplayer mode was a family ritual back in the day.

Last edited:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I'm actually kind of scared of the possibilities, I liked the original game, the multiplayer mood was a family ritual back in the day.

Yeah, same here. Played it basically everyday along with MK64. :P This is by no means confirmation and just going off this alone isn't enough to actually expect a game from, but, it's hard not to get excited, especially with the rumours Rare are indeed working on a non-Kinect, back to form adventure title. Also,

nvh0H60.png

Of all the tweets to reply to, why say that Nelson? YOU'RE UP TO SOMETHING!!!

Salem

SICK
They should bring back the old team that made the first Conker game, and get them to co-develop it, even if they don't want to join Rare.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
They should bring back the old team that made the first Conker game, and get them to co-develop it, even if they don't want to join Rare.

Well, GAF made a list of all the original talent at Rare that made games like Conker and Banjo-Kazooie and where they are now. I bolded the ones known to still work for Rare, Microsoft, or who free-lance and so could be hired.

• "Chief of ideas" (head game designer) Gregg Mayles - still at Rare
  • "Other ideas" George Andreas - left for Sony
  • Lead programmer Chris Sutherland - still at Rare
  • programmer Morten Brodersen - left Rare long ago
  • programmer Paul Machacek - still at Rare
  • programmer Graham Smith - don't know, probably left Rare after Starfox Adventures
  • programmer Kieran Connell - still at Microsoft, though I think not at Rare
  • programmer Rhys Lewis - left for Retro Studios (where he is not anymore)
  • programmer Mark Wilson - don't know, probably left Rare
  • "Chief scribbler" (level designer) Steve Mayles - still at Rare
  • "Cartoony bits and more scribbling" Ed Bryan - left Rare for Creative at Nosy Crow
  • "Scene Crayoner" Steven Hurst - left Rare for Flippin Pixels
  • "More Sketching" John Nash - credited for Micky Epic 2, so most likely not working at Rare
  • "Other Doodling" Chris Peil - left Rare
  • Composer Grant Kirkhope - freelancer, could probably be hired for new Banjo music

So it's not been a mass exodus of the old Rare talent like I think many people assumed it was when the company began to crumble a bit; Sutherland, Gregg and Steve Mayles still being there is a big win for any potential games like Conker. :)

they would probably make it into a Racer..and have kenect 2.0 controls :trollface:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I always thought of Conker as a mediocre platformer with a swearing gimmick. Though I think it was toned back when it was re-released on the original Xbox. I don't know, just don't think the game is that much really. I can see why it's in a way, infamous, but a good game? Err I just don't see it.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I always thought of Conker as a mediocre platformer with a swearing gimmick. Though I think it was toned back when it was re-released on the original Xbox. I don't know, just don't think the game is that much really. I can see why it's in a way, infamous, but a good game? Err I just don't see it.

Well that's fair enough, everyone has different tastes and are allowed to, however much the Internet will debate that point, but it's worth noting BFD was critically acclaimed when it first came out on N64 and was/is considered a very good game. Hence the excitement! Though it sold like trash unfortunately. Got like, 0 advertising because of the swearing.

Rare actually coming back and doing what they used to do is pretty exciting too, really, if it's all true. Rumours of a new Perfect Dark made by them have also been doing the rounds. Rare being back-on-form would be amazing! Too early to get excited but damnit I can't help it!

Salem

SICK
Putting aside the swearing and all that stuff, the gameplay was highly varied, each world had it's own mechanics which are distinct from the rest, so it had that going for it, also the multiplier.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Hrmmm...I'm a bit hesitant about this...

Need I remind you about the other games that Rare has given us when it comes to their old franchises? There was Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, which, while not an AWFUL game, just didn't seem to fit with the actual Banjo Kazooie franchise. But i never liked BK, so I guess that doesn't bother me that much :I

Then again, I believe a lot of the negative critical reception about that and many other games (Perfect Dark on XBOX 360) was brought due to nostalgia blinders. I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that I know anything about these games, because I've never played them. But from what I've heard, they seem...less than desirable.

Hey, but who knows? Anything can happen. They might just surprise us with an amazing game. Just as long as it doesn't involve Kinect. If it does, consider it pretty much dead in the water (yes, I really hate motion controls, even if people claim they are "good". So sue me.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom