• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rank the Zelda Games Based Off Of Polarization

Most Polarizing Zelda Game?

• Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Link Between Worlds

• A Link to The Past

• OG Zelda

• Ocarina of Time

• Total voters

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
This is simple. Just rank the games from least polarizing to most polarizing.

I'm just curious, given that the last couple games have been pretty darn polarizing (Or I see it that way).

BONUS HARD MODE: Rank the % of players you think each opinion represents. For Example: "I think Metroid Other M is 3% fans and 97% haters" or something like that

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
1.) Wind Waker
Number one because it's the one that started it all. The series was cohesive until WW came along and the series has been divisive ever since. WW was where Ninty lost their perspective, and since then - with a lamentably brief return to form with TP - they've only been getting more and more hopelessly lost.

3.) Breath of the Wild
You must be thinking, "Where's Suckward? How can Suckward not be number one or two?" Patience, we'll get to that. Breath of the Wild tried to reign it in and return to the series open world roots. Ninty was paying some bit of attention to that at least. But they forsook all other essential aspects of the series and just ended up turning the game into another bi-yearly Ubisoft game anyway.

3.) Zelda II
"What? Still no Suckward? Castle have you gone MAD???" Well, yes. But that's beside the point. You see, Zelda II is a good game and more than that an honest to god Zelda game. So what if it had side scrolling segments? So what if it had experience points? It is in every respect every bit a sequel to its predecessor and directly in line with the series natural progression moving forward. There's nothing essential about it that makes it any different to any other Zelda game at that point, nor at all remarkably different from the later entries in the series to follow (for a brief time at least before ninty got horribly lost).

Still, Zelda II was polarizing in its day and there was a time when it was considered the only black sheep in the series. *sigh* If only it had remained as such...

4.) Spirit Tracks
"Castle, you're screwing with us." Usually, but hush now. I was considering not even including ST on this list and just listing it separately as a "dishonorable mention" on account of it not being a Zelda game in any conceivable form or fashion. Well, that's fair especially in light of the point I am about to make in regards to Suckward. But I feel like ST is just such a perfectly minor and inconsequential blip in the history of the Zelda series that it can be easily overlooked for having no real lasting impact, unlike the stinking beacon of a dumpster fire that is...

5.) Suckward Sword
WTAF does Suckward have to do with Zelda? Anything? Anything at all? No. Of course not. It's a story based on a stupid inconsequential premise that for how simple and meaningless it is somehow manages to tear up established lore in ways that have done irreparable harm to major essential components of the series. Zelda isn't even a freaking princess for the first time ever. Demise utterly obliterates Ganondorf as a character. The games stylings veer so far away from the series it cannot even be considered spun off from established series trappings. The game isn't even set in Hyrule in name only. Even Waker's Great Sea had the sense to consider itself vastly removed from Hyrule and not pretend like it has anything to do with it (insufferable shoe-horned tie-in backstory notwithstanding). And that's before we even get to the gameplay, which doesn't even superficially compare to any way in which any Zelda game has ever played before. Even Wind Waker felt like a Zelda game to play, even if nothing else about it looked or read like a Zelda game.

Suckward is so far removed from anything having to do with the Zelda series that it for all intents and purposes cannot even be compared to a Zelda game. More than that, it's just a cruddy game at all. Wind Waker, simplistic as it is, is a decent game. Suckward sucks. In all respects. Suckward isn't polarizing. If anything it's the one game everyone can agree on the most. It sucks.

Last edited:
1. The Wind Waker
Because of the way it looked and because of the sailing (which I both like).

2. Skyward Sword
Because it ****ing sucks! Forced motion controls and a fragmented, puzzle-based overworld didn't help.

3. Breath of the Wild
A lot of change, complete disregard for the lore and exploration resulting in only one of two things.

4. Majora's Mask
The time mechanic. A lot of people don't like it.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
BOTW > tWW = SS

BOTW is easily the most polarizing game, mainly because it's not just the fanbase, it's also people outside the fanbase who have hated Zelda for years and have only now joined since BOTW is appealing to their tastes. As for tWW and SS, it's a more difficult pick. They're both polarizing, but in different ways. SS has had the fanbase split since release. With tWW, there has never really been a "split", rather it was almost universally hated when it was released and is currently almost universally loved like OoT, MM, and TP. A lot of people felt like Zelda lost its identity with tWW and hated it because of this...but since they felt Zelda was no longer Zelda, a lot of them left the fanbase. The ones remaining are mostly those who liked it to begin with, learned to love it over time...or just grew to appreciate it because SS and BOTW were released, one (or both) of which they hated more.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
it's also people outside the fanbase who have hated Zelda for years and have only now joined since BOTW is appealing to their tastes.

That's a solid statement. But I honestly wonder how many new players Ubisoft's then latest open world game of the month actually brought in?

I think Majora's Mask is polarizing because it's void of Princess Zelda (except for that small cutscene), Ganon, or Hyrule. It's in Termina, there's completely new characters, the game is timed, and there's only 4 dungeons. In a typical Zelda game, you're in Hyrule, Zelda needs to be saved from Ganondorf, you can take all the time you want, and there's like 8 dungeons. Majora's Mask is my 2nd favorite Zelda game though, so it being polarizing isn't a negative thing at all in my eyes.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Is Tri Force Heroes polarizing? I feel like it didn't go over well at all but I think it must have dove awesome in Japan and Korea. I strongly disliked it. The only zelda game I've ever truly disliked.

I suppose the most obvious to me is FSA. I adore that game, definitely in my top 5 favorites (not best, favorites) but many zelda fans either write it off or even disdain it.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I honestly think Zelda II is way more polarizing than Wind Waker ever was. Sure, Wind Waker got some crap when it was announced, but like most Gamecube game it's now a cult classic and I feel like it has a lot more fans than it does haters. I feel like most people view Zelda II as the black sheep in the franchise. It barely feels like a Zelda game. The RPG elements, the overworld, and side scrolling separates it from the other 2d Zelda games. The game kind of feels like it's own idea that was re-skinned as a Zelda game.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The Wind Waker was the most polarizing. It split the fanbase right down the middle. Sold half the copies of OOT which means half of the players of that universally loved game did not return and not all those that did thought what they played was what Zelda should be.
It meant that when Zelda did return to the spirit of what it was originally with TP, the old fans of OOT returned and yet we still had the Wind Waker fans who loudly complained that Zelda should be cartoony and light and that is the way the series is meant to be.

Then we had Skyward Sword. The first 3D game that was actually mediocre disregarding whether you like the artistic direction or not. The game sold half the copies of TP again and appealed to neither the hardcore TP or WW fans. It was Zelda so Zelda fans bought it but it was sold on lies and people are resentful of it these days.

Now we have BoTW. The fanbase has been ****ed over with mediocrity before so the sting of this one was perhaps somewhat lesser. Also many of the people who liked what OOT was and what TP was have moved on. Going through the stages of grief a lot of the old fans have had the anger and the denial phases already with one or more of the other titles. Now the depression and acceptance is the most common for those who dislike BoTW. Many have realised the type of games we actuslly like are now on other consoles made by other developers. And personally if I wasn't on ZD I wouldn't even follow the Zelds series anymore. The feeling I get is that quite a few love the new reskin of a Ubisoft game and the rest of the fans are just tired of not recieving a great game for 12 years. And if you didnt like TP then its even longer. That's why there isn't such angry posts ranting about BoTW as there was for SS. It's hard to stay passionately angry for this long.

People have mixed opinions on the DS Zelda's, and Tri Force Heroes, Four Swords etc but they're small games and come out much more regularly and just don't carry the weight of the 3D entries, so as much some might hate them they don't hate them as strongly as they would a 3D entry that upsets them.

As for Zelda II not many people passionately hate that like they might have done when it came out. It was polarising apparently but was before my time and I know personally I don't like it but there is no point in hating it. It's not gonna come back and be the future of Zelda. It's history. So for this reason I don't see it as a divisive game anymore.

Last edited:

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Now that I'm really thinking about it, I wonder if Ocarina of Time is the most polarizing currently. I mean, according to much of the fan base, it's the best Zelda game if not the best game of all time. A lot of the fanbase though doesn't care for the game. I feel like a lot of the latter group consists of younger gamers but of course that doesn't make their opinions any less valid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom