• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rank the 19 main Zelda games

Rank the main Zelda games from worst (19) to best (1) and let us know what made you pick your number 1 Zelda title. I'll start off:

19-13 ???
12. Oracle of Ages
11. The Minish Cap
10. A Link Between Worlds
9. Oracle of Seasons
8. The Wind Waker
7. Skyward Sword
6. Link’s Awakening
5. A Link to the Past
4. Breath of the Wild
3. Ocarina of Time
2. Twilight Princess
1. Majora’s Mask

I’ve yet to play the following games:
-The Legend of Zelda
-The Adventure of Link
-Four Swords
-Four Swords Adventures
-Phantom Hourglass
-Spirit Tracks
-Tri Force Heroes

So why Majora's Mask? Let me start off with the fact that Majora’s Mask wasn’t my first (or second) Zelda game. I didn’t grow up with it and the first time I played it was only a few years ago. In other words there’s no nostalgia factor here.
The reason why I picked Majora’s Mask is because it goes much deeper into the story than any other Zelda title. It’s also the darkest and most emotional Zelda game imo.
I like the fact that you can really ‘’fail’’ to save the world so that urgent feeling to save the people is always there. Another thing I loved about the game is the fact that the people also change with each passing day. There are people who accept their doom and those who don’t.
Scenes like the Deku buttler’s son at the end or Anju & Kafei’s wedding give the game much more meaning. Also the Happy Mask Salesman still remains a mystery these days.
Majora’s Mask is and will always be my favorite Zelda game because of all the mystery that's going on in the game.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Oracle of Ages was better than Seasons in my opinion, but I have yet to update my tier list to reflect said thought

Oracle of Ages was better than Seasons in my opinion, but I have yet to update my tier list to reflect said thought

I enjoyed Seasons much more than Ages. Time travelling was something we've seen before while changing the seasons was completely new.

19. Four Swords
18. Tri Force Heroes
17. Four Swords Adventures
16. Adventure of Link
15. Phantom Hourglass
14. Legend of Zelda
13. Oracle of Seasons
12. Oracle of Ages
11. Minish Cap
10. Skyward Sword
9. Spirit Tracks
8. A Link Between Worlds
7. Link's Awakening
6. A Link to the Past
5. Majora's Mask
4. Breath of the Wild
3. Ocarina of Time
2. Twilight Princess
1. Wind Waker

After Link's Awakening my appreciation for the other games drops off a cliff, i dont like them.

Last edited:
19. Trifirce Heroes
18. Four Swords
17. Wind Waker
16. Spirit Tracks
15. Phantom Hourglass
14. Four Swords Adventures
13. Skyward Sword
12. A Link Between Worlds
11. Oracle of Seasons
10. Oracle of Ages
9. Link's Awakening
8. Link to the Past
7. Twilight Princess
6. Ocarina of Time
5. Zelda - 1986
4. Minish Cap
3. Majora's Mask
2. Adventure of Link
1. Breath of the Wild

@Spirit - It seems our tastes in Zelda games differ greatly :)

19. Trifirce Heroes
18. Four Swords
17. Wind Waker
16. Spirit Tracks
15. Phantom Hourglass
14. Four Swords Adventures
13. Skyward Sword
11. Oracle of Seasons
10. Oracle of Ages
9. Link's Awakening
8. Link to the Past
7. Twilight Princess
6. Ocarina of Time
5. Zelda - 1986
4. Minish Cap
3. Majora's Mask
2. Adventure of Link
1. Breath of the Wild

@Spirit - It seems our tastes in Zelda games differ greatly :)

Indeed, that's some impressive Wind Waker hate you've got there.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
15 Tri Force Heroes
14 Four Swords Adventures
13 Zelda 2
12 The Legend of Zelda
11 Oracle of Ages
10 A Link To The Past
9 Phantom Hourglass
8 Spirit Tracks
7 A Link Between Worlds
6 Breath of The Wild
5 Skyward Sword
4 Wind Waker
3 Majora's Mask
2 Ocarina of Time
1 Twilight Princess

I haven't played all the games. So they aren't all on there though I don't need to play TFH to hate it as the worst Zelda.

Twilight Princess is my favourite as it is the very embodiment of what Zelda is all about. Containing all the classic elements that make Zelda what it is. It features the most developed character in the series (Midna) and the most thought out plot. In fact it is probably the only game in the series to feature decent writing. It also has one of the best soundtracks and selection of bosses and dungeons.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
14.Phantom Hourglass
13.Spirit Tracks
12.Oracle of Seasons
11.Zelda - 1986
10.Link's Awakening
9.Oracle of Ages
8.Skyward Sword
7.Ocarina of Time
6.Breath of the Wild
5.A Link to the Past
4.Minish Cap
3.Majora's Mask
2.Twilight Princess
1.Wind Waker

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I've played every Zelda game with the exception of Breath of the Wild so, naturally, my list is going to exclude that particular title.

18: Four Swords
17: Phantom Hourglass
16: Four Swords Adventures
15: Tri Force Heroes
14: Oracle of Seasons
13: Spirit Tracks
12: The Legend of Zelda
11: Link's Awakening
10: Skyward Sword
9: Adventure of Link
8: Twilight Princess
7: Oracle of Ages
6: A Link to the Past
5: The Minish Cap
4: Ocarina of Time
3: A Link Between Worlds
2: The Wind Waker
1: Majora's Mask
I would love to sit here and thoroughly explain why every game is where it is in this ranking, but that's not what the OP asks for, so I'll specifically explain why I love Majora's Mask so much.

Well, where do I even start. This game is, in my opinion, the epitome of great Zelda games. It takes nearly everything that Ocarina of Time did well and makes it better, and it takes nearly everything that Ocarina of Time did wrong and makes it good.

I'll start with the story. The story of Majora's Mask is an extremely dark one, arguably darker than any other game in the franchise. It's a fairly simple concept, as the end of the world isn't anything truly unique, but the way the game tells the story is absolute perfection. You can really feel the sense of dread and impending doom as you play through it. The game does an extremely good job of making the story come to life. The dialogue, the atmosphere, the music, it all comes together perfectly to tell the story in the best way it possibly could. No other Zelda game gives me the same feeling this game does, it really makes you want to ensure that the world is saved.

Next up is the gameplay. Gameplay wise, this game was quite a departure from the games that came before it, as dungeons took a back seat. This game put a massive focus on sidequests, and it really works well. You could say the lack of dungeons makes the game a bit weaker, and I'd normally agree, but the four dungeons it does have are all fantastic (well, the Great Bay Temple is fantastically designed and looks really cool, but it's downright frustrating at times). There are some other games that put a lot of emphasis on sidequests, like I suppose The Wind Waker and Skyward Sword could kind of fall into that category, but in this game more than any other, each sidequest is truly engaging and genuinely feels rewarding when you complete them. They also found a creative and believable way to make the sidequests fit in as part of the story, which no other Zelda game has managed to do to the same scope. Plus, the time mechanic, while a gimmick that many people have trouble with, I feel really adds to the game, and helps make you feel like you really do need to race to save the world. It contributes to that feeling of impending doom that the game does such a good job of drilling into your head. Additionally, the game features not one, not two, not even three, but four alternate forms that Link can take, and it uses all of them extremely well. So ya, A+ for sure.

Am I saying every Zelda game should follow what Majora's Mask did by having fewer dungeons and instead adding lots of sidequests and a cool gimmick? No. That's part of what makes this game so great, is the fact that it's unique among Zelda titles. If more games did what this game did, it would ruin what makes this game so special.

Now for the difficulty. While I certainly think Ocarina of Time is a great game (I mean, it's number four after all), I find it a bit easy, especially after you've played through it once. Majora's Mask clearly learned from that by upping the difficulty, but still keeping it low enough so practically anyone can play it. The game moves faster than most, so the difficulty increases quicker than most other Zelda games, but it's OK. For what the game is, the difficulty is about right where I would want it. There are no parts in this game that are painfully easy (like the Great Deku Tree, for example), but there are also no parts that are ridiculously hard (OoA's Jabu-Jabu's Belly, I'm looking at you). It's just right.

There is a lot more I could say, such as how great the music is, or how beautiful and diverse the world is, or how it features my favourite sidequest of every Zelda game ever, or how every boss has multiple different ways they can be defeated, or how... well, you get the idea. Majora's Mask is truly a masterpiece, and I don't think any Zelda game, not even Breath of the Wild, will ever top it for me.

Ninja

Well well well
19. Triforce Heroes
18. Spirit Tracks
17. Phantom Hourglass
16. Oracle of Seasons
15. Oracle of Ages
14. Links Awakening
13. Adventure of Link
12. Legend of Zelda
11. Four Swords Adventures
10. Four Swords
9. Minish Cap
8. A Link Between Worlds
7. A Link to the Past
6. Skyward Sword
5. Breath of the Wild
4. Majoras Mask
3. Wind Waker
2. Ocarina of Time
1. Twilight Princess

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I'm assuming we're talking favorites and not what we think is the best so...

14. Oracle of Seasons
13. Oracle of Ages
12. Legend of Zelda
11. Four Swords (multiplayer)
10. Zelda 2
9. Link to the Past
8. Link's Awakening
7.Link b/w Worlds
6. Ocarina of Time
5. Minish Cap
4. Skyward Sword
3. Majora's Mask
2. Twilight Princess
1. Wind Waker

haven't played the DS games or breath of the wild yet

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Right, let's get to this.

19: TriForce Heroes
I got an HMV gift card for Christmas last year, had no use for it, so I got TFH cause why not? Because it's crap is why. Relies entirely on other people (who you can't communicate with) not being a bunch of tits or leaving at any moment. I played it for about two hours and haven't touched my 3DS since. And I really wanted to play dress-up, too (legit).

18: Four Swords Adventures
Very unfair of me to put this here since I've never played it, but it honestly looks like more fun than TFH so there you go. I'm sure it's more of a pain than anything, though. Next!

17: Four Swords
I have actually played this one. It's not good. But it's short so whatever. Multiplayer Zelda is bad.

16: Spirit Tracks
I never finished this. Whoever thought to put literal railroads in a primarily exploration-based franchise needs to be broken upon the wheel. SpookZelda was a cute, though.

15: Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
100% because I'm bad at it. I will not hide from this fact. I don't like this game because I am bad at it and die. A lot. The Dark Souls of Zelda (lol, I'm so funny you guys, omg). I don't plan to ever try to git gud, so rip Zelda II.

14: The Legend of Zelda
It's boring. Maybe if I was alive in 1986 when there was nothing else to do except think about Ronald Reagan (which I do a lot now, to be fair) I'd have enjoyed it, but this game bores me to hell and back. I can at least finish it, though.

13: Breath of the Wild
This game sent me into a bout of depression for a few weeks because of how disappointing it was. You know when you look back on the last twenty or so years of your life and wonder why you wasted it on this boring, pointless, monotonous garbage when you could have been learning languages, getting fit, having a meaningful social life, doing the things you actually enjoy years or even decades earlier? Honest to God, I hate this game. It hurt me.

12: Skyward Sword
One thing I'll say in Skyward Sword's favour is that it didn't make lie awake nights on end questioning the purpose of my own life. Hell, I even managed to have fun the first time I played it, like a smackhead who forgets that it's harming me because it'd been so long since the last good hit. But this game is utter trash and if you like it you have bad taste, true fact.

11: Phantom Hourglass
Eh, it's k. I mean, it's not what I'd call a good game but it's not what I'd call a bad one, either. Very forgettable game. I remember Linebeck's name and that one puzzle when you have to close the DS over.

10: Link's Awakening
Finally, good Zelda games. I was forgetting that such things exist. I never played this until about two years ago. I think it would have been higher if not for that. Nice, surreal premise, good dungeons. A fun adventure all round.

9: Ocarina of Time
Is it over-rated? In context, no. On it's own, yeah there are plenty of better games. But it became Ocarina of Time for a reason. It's a solid game to this day, well worth playing and replaying. Malon best girl.

8: Oracle of Seasons
You can play as a kangaroo boxer. Tiny Gorons best Gorons. I don't think I need to say more.

7: Oracle of Ages
I always preferred Ages because: 1. It was blue, 2. Nayru a cute, 3. time travel is cool, and 4. it was harder than Seasons. I want the mermaid suit thing to come back. I would very much like to swish swish my way through a dungeon again, please.

6: A Link Between Worlds
Short, simple, sweet. Hits my nostalgia triggers. Pandering, sure, but pandering to me, so of course I liked it. Blind 2.0 is a very fun boss fight. Hilda a gothy cute.

5: The Minish Cap
I don't actually know what to say about this one because when I had a little think just now all I got was, like, emotions that I can't really articulate. TMC fits snugly into my own personal zeitgeist of the early 00s when my life was this, Morrowind, Harry Potter, Fable, and Discworld. All colourful fantasy and adventure. I love this game.

4: The Wind Waker
Sorry it's SO LOW, Spirit. TWW captures the feel of adventure and exploration better than any other Zelda. It's a deeply engrossing experience, emotional, memorable, wonderful. The strongest soundtrack of any of the games, too. An utter delight from start to finish.

3: Twilight Princess
Ocarina's angsty teenage brother, which makes it cool. Best Link. Stoic Zelda a frosty cute. Dungeons, yeah boiii, the dungeons. Lots of 'em and they're all good fun. Snowboarding with Yetis is also a series highlight.

2: A Link to the Past
My first. The bar against which all others are measured. I love dungeons in Zelda, so I love ALttP. Can any other game's dungeons even compete? When I was a kid, I thought the game was over after I got the Master Sword and beat Agahnim, but then I was suddenly in the Dark World with eight more dungeons and more than half the damn adventure to get through. Blew my tiny mind. I've been in love ever since.

1: Majora's Mask
I've waxed lyrical about this game on this forum so often that I simply won't do it again here. This is my favourite game. Ever. It's a masterpiece and I am in love with it.

Tri Force Heroes is NOT a main Zelda game.

18. Phantom Hourglass
17. Spirit Tracks
16. Adventure of Link
15. Four Swords Adventures
14. Legend of Zelda
13. A Link to the Past
11. Minish Cap
10. Skyward Sword
9. Four Swords
8. Oracle of Seasons
7. Breath of the Wild