• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rank Order The 4 3D Home Console Zelda Games

Rank order the 4 3D home console zelda games, which are: OOT, MM, TWW, TP.

These are the only 4 zelda games I've played and completed, and I really, really loved them all! So just to make clear, this was a very hard choice to order, but yes, really enjoyed all 4 of these!

So, here's my order:

1st - Ocarina Of Time - Well, I don't think it can be topped. That however could be the nostalgia talking, as it was my first zelda game. But, this game was revolutionary (as it introduced us to 3d zelda). Also the game is a great length (has many dungeons) and has a great atmosphere. Ganondorf is a brilliant villain in this game. The dungeons were very unique and very creative. I also felt the game had a good difficulty, in that it wasn't too challenging, but not too easy at the same time either. Excellent music too.

2nd - Twilight Princess - I really enjoyed this game. From what I've read, it seems that this game is slightly underrated. I myself thought it was a sound entry to the zelda series. It had a great, dark atmosphere, and very creative dungeons (snowpeak ruins and city in the sky were brilliant). Great overworld, and again, a decent length (lots of dungeons to explore). Also the characters were great, particularly midna and the rebellion group, and the whole wolf concept was a great touch too. I did not enjoy the tears of light stuff, but most of this game really hit the nail for me. Also in places I found it challenging (in terms of the puzzles that is, NOT the combat, that was easy). Anyway, great game.

3rd - The Windwaker - At first I was dubious about the cell-shaded graphics, but I soon got used to them, and I was very glad I gave this game a go. Even though I thought this was by far the easiest of the 4, I still really enjoyed this game and actually found it very relaxing! The sea overworld in particular was relaxing, and the cell-shaded graphics actually gave this game a great, unique feel. As I said, I found this game slightly easier than the other zelda games I've played, which kind of adds to the 'relaxing' feel of the game. The sailing was tedious though.... and gathering the triforce charts/shards, jesus, I hated that, it took forever..... constantly changing the wind was very tedious too.... but apart from those quibbles, this is a great, unique, fun, and relaxing zelda game! (Just pissed off that I saved over my completed file with the second quest one though argh). A fine game though.

4th - Majora's Mask - The last game I completed (completed it yesterday :) ). Majora's Mask is a very decent game. Yes I've put it last, but I still think it's great. The 3-day concept is excellent, and gives this game a unique feel like no other zelda game. Out of the 4 I've played, I found this game the hardest. The dungeons in particular I found more difficult (although collecting the stray fairies may have contributed to that). That boss in the great bay temple.... my god, that was THE hardest zelda boss I have ever encountered. In contrast, I found the final boss majora to be extremely easy - although very fun to fight! I did NOT like the saving system - it was a huge pain in the arse. And was also a pain to keep going back in time, and depositing your rupees before you go back... tedious and annoying. Also, howcome, when you go back in time, you lose all your rupees, arrows etc, but you do NOT lose songs, weapons, boss remains etc? HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE? But yes, the whole repeatedly going back in time stuff was confusing, and the inconvinient saving process was a pain, so that is probably why this game is last, as all that stuff gives it a tedious feel. Having said that though, this game is still excellent, and really, this, TWW, and TP are just about en par anyway, with OOT only being slightly better... my point is, I love them all!

What's everyone else's order of these 4 games?

Vibed

must read before he posts
#1 - MM - I loved it's character development, I felt a true connection to the world I was in because of the three day system. An amazingly emotional adventure. A true adventure, traveling around meeting new people, not a quest. The system also presented unique gameplay concepts. The masks were fun to collect and use and made the sidequests worthwhile. The dark undertones (but not very subtle) were awesome. My favorite Zelda.

#2 - OoT - A fairly standard Zelda, besides revolutionizing the world of 3D, but well crafted.

#3 - WW - The art style was unique and the sailing was fun. It would be above OoT, but the sometimes monotonous sailing and Triforce hunting dampened it a bit.

#4 - TP - Another fairly standard Zelda, but I feel it didn't do enough to mix it up to set it above the rest. The dungeons were superb. The tear collecting parts were agonizing.

Um, personal opinion is something like MM, OOT and TWW (can't even choose an order for those two), and then TP. But it's really close, they are all good!

MM - I just really like this game, it's my favorite video game of all time. I think it has something to it that I can really relate to, because I know that many people dislike/hate it and that's okay too. I like doing sidequests and having things to do between dungeons, and this game sure has a lot of that. I also like the characters, music (best soundtrack IMO <3), dungeons, masks, and I think they picked some of the best items they had out at the time and used some of them in really creative and fun ways (ice arrows). I never felt pressed for time to the point of not enjoying the game, I barely even notice the reused character models since they are incorporated into this new setting so well (plus there are a ton of original characters made just for MM), and the losing items has never bothered me since you can get them all back in the field in less then one in-game hour of grass chopping. I LOVE the bank idea, I wish that other Zeldas had that too. Stone Tower Temple is the my favorite dungeon in any Zelda game, Great Bay Temple is awesome as well, they are all good. I love it how they give Link so much more personality in this game, certainly not as much as he has in Wind Waker (<3) but a lot more than in OOT. I also like that you don't have to play as Adult Link, because I find him less fun to play. Only problem is it ends too soon, I wish it were longer.

OOT - this was the first Zelda game I played, and I have played it far too many times, but I still adore it for introducing me to Zelda <3 It's long and has a lot of fun dungeons and memorable characters, and I can't tell you how many hours I spent running around the cornfields pretending to be Link all thanks to OOT (and I'm a girl). This game is the game that introduced my favorite Link and the game that made possible my favorite game! For it's time it was great, but now that we've had games make improvements I can see the places where OOT is lacking. I don't hold that against it at all, but because of that now I do choose to play other Zelda games over it because they are more entertaining.

TWW - the graphics style of this game is amazing, I also was like "What" wen I saw it at first but I warmed up to it the minute I started playing and seeing how Link reacted to things. So cute! And I love that it manages to be a really serious game despite that it doesn't look like it. Windfall is so detailed and has so much to do, I love running around and photographing people. The Earth Temple is my second favorite dungeon of any game. This game made me cry! It's one of only two Zeldas that have. However, the sailing irks me, it's too short, and it's absolutely too linear.

TP - pretty pretty graphics, I love Midna, and the horseback riding in this game is fantastic. There's quite a bit to do sidequest-wise and Hyrule looks amazing. Interesting story, too, and Snowpeak Ruins is my third favorite dungeon of any game. However, there are just a lot of places that drag, and I got tired of that, it seems like it doesn't really pick up until the last 4 dungeons.

Interesting lists. Interesting how MM is at the top on both, whereas it's last on mine... as I said though, I still love MM. 4 brilliant games here!

MattWalker

Windfall Walker
#1. Wind Waker
---
I love me some Wind Waker! The sheer scope of this game is... incredible. Especially for the Gamecube (all that on that tiny disc!). I don't care what anyone says - the sailing is a load of fun. When I learned the song that allowed you to warp, I didn't even use it - I enjoyed sailing and exploring so much. The music is great, the art style is fantastic... I just love it so much.

#2. Twilight Princess
---
This adventure was just really polished and very nice to pull me into the world of Zelda. The story was incredible. The characters were likeable, and Link truly feels more like a hero here than he does in probably the rest of the Zelda games... to me, anyway. Great game.

#3. Ocarina of Time
---
This Zelda game feels the most medieval to me, and I don't mean that figuratively. I mean, our of all the Zelda games, this one feels older... wiser.. .deeper. Like I'm really play a legend. The story is pioneering for a Nintendo 64 game, and the size is incredible. Perhaps over-rated by most, but I still adore this game!

#4. Majora's Mask
---
The only console 3D Zelda I haven't beaten yet. I have it on virtual console, and am playing it off and on. So far, it's great. So deep and rich with the story. I can't wait to experience it more.

T

TalesOfFan

Of the four 3D Zelda games, I've only played through Wind Waker and Twilight Princess so my ranking will be a tad shorter.

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Wind Waker constitutes my first step into the Zelda universe and I could not have been more pleased. the art style, which to many seem to be either a hit or miss, really made me love this game even more. By going with the art direction, Wind Waker will remain a beautiful game even as technology advances, much like Link to the Past. One of the most interesting things that I find with Wind Waker is the wide range of emotion that Link and the NPCs are able to convey through their faces. This is a giant leap forward from previous titles, and for most a leap ahead of even what games do today. I also really enjoyed the exploration aspect of Wind Waker. With the vast ocean, sailing had a calming feel to it. The ocean was also littered with treasure and side quests that kept it from ever getting dull. Another thing that stood out with Wind Waker to me was the story. I love how Hyrule has been flooded in an attempt to seal away Ganon. I really felt hooked to the game, especially after I visited the Tower of the Gods. The only blemish that I can think of would be the Triforce quest, which caused me to allow the game to sit uncompleted for little over half a decade. Though when I did finally finish the game about a month ago, I found that the Triforce quest wasn't quite as bad as I previously feared. Wind Waker also introduced and allowed for the introduction of my two favorite characters in the Zelda series, Makar and Linebeck.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
I received Twilight Princess the Christmas of the Wii's launch. It had been about a year since I had played Wind Waker and I was really itching for a new Zelda game, one would wonder why I just didn't go and finish Wind Walker. I was fortunate enough to have a friend at the time that was also playing the game along side me. That added to the enjoyment, but he never finished it and I stupidly used a guide for my entire play through, which I feel cheapened the whole experience. I really like the games art design, though a departure from the cute visuals of Wind Waker, it gave the game a truly epic feel similar to the Shadow of the Colossus. I loved riding Epona through the mass expanse of Hyrule. Twilight Princess also represents my only experience with the valiant stead, as I have yet to play Ocarina of Time. Another thing I really enjoyed from the game were its dungeons and boss design. Snowpeake Ruins remains my favorite dungeon of the entire Zelda series and the final battle with Dark Beast Ganon and Ganondorf, my favorite end game boss. I also found the characters to be quite memorable, especially Midna, who I find to be the most interesting of the series' partner characters. The wolf sections of the game were also a delight, even if they could have used a bit more variety. One of my biggest problems with this game come from my own failing to play it without a walk through. Because of that I plan to return to the game this summer and replay it. I was even lucky enough to get a Gamecube copy of the game so I can now play it with my favorite controller.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thatlinkisaspy!

(not really)
1. Oot- The first and best Zelda I've played for seemingly the amazing storyline.
2. Majora's Mask- A tougher Oot but with more sidequests to make up for lack of boss fights.
3. Twilight Princess- Great Oot Game play combined with Majora's Mask dark atmosphere
4. Wind Waker- I liked this but I sold it for an unknown reason.

OhYeah!

♫A▼▲A▼▲
1. The Wind Waker, just epic.
2. Majora's Mask, my first homeconsole Zelda game (still haven't beat it though).
3. Twilight Princess, I had a lot of fun with this game.
4. Ocarina of Time, I'm in the Forest Temple and it feels like story haven't even started yet. So far, I don't like it.

ShaneOMac713

The Seal has been Broken
I really want them to remake them all in 3D but the one I want the most is the one they remade OoT. That game is my favorite game and the one I but the most work in to beat I am even going to do a three heart run on the game and I only do that to LoZ games I think are good and I would have a fun time doing it.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
4) The Wind Waker. It's a beautiful Zelda game with it's own uniqueness, but it didn't appeal to me all that much. The first thing that comes into mind is the Triforce hunt - extremely boring and slows down the pace and intensity of the game a lot. I also felt that the islands were poorly underused, as there were so many of them, but there were only a few important ones.

3) Majora's Mask. A great game also, I can see why many people like this game as their favorite. The game just was too short for me. Also, I'm more of a dungeon guy, and this game was loaded with sidequests, which is part of the reason I didn't like the game so much.

2) Ocarina of Time. Very fun game to play, a lot of dungeons and interesting puzzles brought to 3D. The plot of this game didn't seem that good because it felt the exact same as A Link to the Past for me, but it was very fun nevertheless.

1) Twilight Princess. This is a game I call brilliant. The plot was superb, and I felt it was superbly executed. Not to mention Ganondorf's appearance - it was just fantastic! It was a really epic feeling to see him appear in the game. And even though the dungeons were easy, they were made up by their creativity and innovation. It also brought fun, new items (Double-Clawshot heck yeah!), and was a very long game which I liked.

Lupine

Sacred Beast
In truth, I can never place these games in an exact order.
But, I shall try:

1. Majora's Mask: Dark, unique story, and emotional characters.
2. Wind Waker: My first Zelda game, so it holds a special place in my heart. I'll never forget the art style.
3. Ocarina of Time: Epic classic.
4. Twilight Princess: Truly amazing game.

1. Wind Waker - I just finished the game last year, and wow, it is phenomenal. Everything, from the beautiful cel-shaded graphics, to the awesome dungeon design, is amazing, and it's a perfect game to start your Zelda journey.
2. Twilight Princess - my "sequel" to Ocarina of Time. I absolutely love Twilight Princess. The awesomely mature-graphics, and the cool new items really round out the game to make such an awesome package.
3. Ocarina of Time - oh, the classic. Not my favorite, however. I love the time-traveling, and the awesome dungeons, but there's something keeping me from putting OoT on top.
4. Majora's Mask - call me crazy, but I wasn't overly ecstatic about the whole 3 day mechanic. It was boring, and repetitive. But the masks were a lot of fun.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
1. Wind Waker - I just finished the game last year, and wow, it is phenomenal. Everything, from the beautiful cel-shaded graphics, to the awesome dungeon design, is amazing, and it's a perfect game to start your Zelda journey.
2. Twilight Princess - my "sequel" to Ocarina of Time. I absolutely love Twilight Princess. The awesomely mature-graphics, and the cool new items really round out the game to make such an awesome package.
3. Ocarina of Time - oh, the classic. Not my favorite, however. I love the time-traveling, and the awesome dungeons, but there's something keeping me from putting OoT on top.
4. Majora's Mask - call me crazy, but I wasn't overly ecstatic about the whole 3 day mechanic. It was boring, and repetitive. But the masks were a lot of fun.

This is clearly your favorite to least favorite list. How 'bout your actual "which ones are better" list? (There's a difference, yes. TP is my fav, but it's 3rd on my best list.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom