• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Raiden: Yay or Nay?

Raiden: yay or nay?

• Yay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nay

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
From the mind that brought you 'Kirby: yay or nay?' and 'FLUDD : yay or nay', comes the next burning question: Raiden: Yay or Nay?

For many, Raiden's introduction into the in-joke fan-service that was Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty was one which took the spotlight from Snake, a character many had waited to see return for some time and made gamers play as an unfounded, very feminine character and force them to do naked cartwheels with him, take urine showers and kick multiple bound hostages in the face...

Some hate his guts, i never minded him and even though i havent played MGS4, i've seen most of Raiden's cutscenes and he looked pretty cool. MGS Rising also looks pretty sweet too with a very cool Ninja Raiden look.

So what is the verdict? Raiden: yay or nay?

Raiden? RAIDEN?! SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!! I mean...

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I'll let my favourite horse, Derrick, answer for me:

NEIGH!'

Good boy Derrick.

I loathed Raiden when he first showed up. Snake is so awesome and the Tanker section of MGS2 was so awesome and then suddenly everything is not awesome and it never becomes awesome again :(
Going from butch, manly Snake to petite, pale Raiden was too much of a change for me to handle when I was, what, 12? The best bit of the game was when Raiden got piddled on because it felt like true justice for making me play as Not-Snake. When the President of The United States of America's initial response to seeing your protagonist is to grab his crotch just to check if he is a boy or a girl, you've done something wrong.

However, it gets better. Although I am certainly no fan of the Metal Gear Solid franchise, I have kept up with its story and cut-scenes and such because I have a friend who is fanatical about it. Seeing Raiden as Super Cyborg Ninja: Alpha One is pretty cool and does redeem him somewhat. He's still a bit of a joke in my eyes because to compensate for MGS2 they had to go so far over-the-top with him but still, cool is as cool does.

So over all, I say NAY but Raiden does have his saving graces.

Kirino

Tatakae
As you can likely tell by my avatar, I like Raiden. I played Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty years after it's release, so by the time I bought it, I had already known about his inclusion in the game for quite a while. His suit was too tight, and he was a bit too effeminate, but he seemed alright. I also liked his inclusion in Sons of Liberty. It was neat to see Snake through someone else's eyes, and Raiden was a pretty cool character. He was also alright for gameplay. Flipping was more useful than rolling. I also liked his story, and the way he grew up. Interestingly enough, Kojima decided to consider a more effeminate protagonist after recieving a fan letter from a girl saying that she didn't want to play as an old man.

Once Raiden got to Metal Gear Solid 4, he was a bonafide bad***. He was powerful, and all of his cutscenes were epic. I also liked him as a character. He sure had gone though a hell of a lot, and it was nice to see him get a happy ending. I also enjoyed the conflict between him and Vamp. He looks equally awesome in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, which i'm planning to buy as soon as it comes out.

In short: Yay.

It depends on which Raiden we're talking about here. Now, even though I am one of the people that you mentioned (hating his guts, making fun of him at every turn), I'm not going to turn this post into a rant about how much I want him to go away. I am going to argue from a logical point. If it's the normal Raiden that we see in MGS2, he would be too likely to reprise his role as a cheap Snake knock-off. He would have far more potential as Cyborg Raiden, as he became a more unique character. That's why I like Raiden from MGS4 on, he stopped being an attempt to recreate Snake and became a drastically different person. It was almost to the point that he wasn't even the same character anymore. I've seen Cyborg Raiden pull off feats that would have easily killed him if he was still fully human (impaling himself on his own sword, breakdance-throwing Gekkos, losing both of his arms and continuing to fight, etc.). Normal Raiden has used guns, explosives, and a sword (for all of 10 minutes). Since Super Smash Bros. is against actual guns, he would be limited to using explosives (leaving him with a moveset that wouldn't be all that different from Snake's). Cyborg Raiden is the most logical choice, and if Nintendo includes Raiden at all, I believe it would be most beneficial to use that version of him.

So in short:
Cyborg Raiden- Yes.
Normal Raiden- No.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Yay. I've never understood the hate for Raiden's character. I can understand why people were upset by the bait 'n switch of MGS2, but his character? Um... what's wrong with it? He's pretty prissy at first, but that's for the sake of character development. He goes from being insecure to a complete badass. He's a great character through and through. (His kid is pretty awesome, as well.)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
We get to see a lot of Raiden's butt in MGS2. After many years and seeing him go super awesome in MSG4, all I can say is "breathtaking".

He's a definite "yay" in my book. :)

By himself, hes fine. But in comparison to Solid or Naked Snake... no. just no. Plus, I'll never forgive him for one hing. If the ******* had just remembered what day it was, that ***** would've finally shut up about it.

I was blown away by the original Metal Gear Solid, and waiting a LONG TIME for MGS2. Then when it was finally released everything was great, until Raiden showed up. I never hated a character as much as I hated Raiden. But by the end of the game and multiple playthroughs, he grew on me and I became a fan. Of course Solid Snake was still the man, and they made us wait until MGS4 to play as him again.

In MGS4 he was great. I don't like that they had to make him a ninja to get people to like him. But I liked his dialogue and relationship to Snake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom