• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Radical Redesign?

Sorry to have jumped on you however, I was having a particularly bad day and transferred a lot of it. Honestly, if anything I'd argue that Aonuma doesn't want this particular subject to come up anymore, he seems annoyed every time it does come up, and he even stated once that he wanted people to focus on other things, so perhaps part of the reason they've been so quiet is that they're waiting for this to blow over.

'sall good bruddah.

ILU

i luv u
I'd love it if they did the spaceworld thing all over again. I seriously doubt they will, but the last time they did Zelda was given the miracle that was TWW. A fresh look, a fresh adventuring style, and a very fresh little pirate <3

I'm all for a major change. Change Link's gender, change his skin, change the era, change it *all* I don't care. It worked out well. Zelda fans bemoan everything anyway. After TWW, the series just returned to its recycled ALttP style. Which, I love it don't get me wrong... but a radical change is due IMO.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I can see it's graphics being improved. What I hope doesn't happen is it turns out being a completely different game than what it orginally was intended to be, like Skyward Sword. While delays can be good the bad thing about it is that unnecessary changes could be made.

It's not jarring or offensive, honestly. I just think it would be silly for a person to swear off a series of games that they love because the option has been provided for other people to enhance their experience in a way that doesn't actually detract from their own enjoyment. But really it's all moot because I wasn't seriously suggesting that was the reason for the delay, I'm just trying to spark some conversation on this subject because Nintendo hasn't given us anything to go on, so us fans are having to resort to jump-starting this Frankenstein to get any life out of our discussions.

The reason the idea puts some people off (me included, and I'm female) is that it would do nothing for the game series other than pander to a few loud SJWs, who would take the pandering as an invitation to demand more meaningless changes to a variety of other games, regardless of whether or not they make sense. There's nothing in LoZ that has really prevented girls or women from playing the games in the past. Heck, I remember girls playing Zelda 2 back when I was in middle school.

When I was little, I had no issue playing Mario games as Mario. Mario 2 was fun playing as Peach, but as a kid I understood that it was fun because the ALREADY female character had a chance to shine on her own terms. It didn't make me want to replace Mario with a girl.

If Nintendo really wanted a female hero in a game set in Hyrule, there is more than enough opportunity to get more out of the existing female characters. (Such as what they did in Hyrule Warriors, and even Aonuma pointed that out.) There is also nothing stopping Nintendo from spinning off the series, such as what was done with Tingle, or even setting the game around an entirely new character using Hyrule only as the setting.

If you really want a female Link that badly, get yourself an Xbox:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Kameo/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307d2

The reason the idea puts some people off (me included, and I'm female) is that it would do nothing for the game series other than pander to a few loud SJWs, who would take the pandering as an invitation to demand more meaningless changes to a variety of other games, regardless of whether or not they make sense. There's nothing in LoZ that has really prevented girls or women from playing the games in the past. Heck, I remember girls playing Zelda 2 back when I was in middle school.

When I was little, I had no issue playing Mario games as Mario. Mario 2 was fun playing as Peach, but as a kid I understood that it was fun because the ALREADY female character had a chance to shine on her own terms. It didn't make me want to replace Mario with a girl.

If Nintendo really wanted a female hero in a game set in Hyrule, there is more than enough opportunity to get more out of the existing female characters. (Such as what they did in Hyrule Warriors, and even Aonuma pointed that out.) There is also nothing stopping Nintendo from spinning off the series, such as what was done with Tingle, or even setting the game around an entirely new character using Hyrule only as the setting.

If you really want a female Link that badly, get yourself an Xbox:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Kameo/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307d2
Well, keep in mind, I wasn't talking about making Link female, only giving the option for a female model, and the idea of people getting mad that the option is there, but not forced on them. Really though it's all just speculation for the sake of conversation, mostly because they're approaching a ten month dry spell for news on Zelda and we have no choice. My personal stance on it is: if they did it, that'd be cool, but I don't care if they do and I'm not calling for it. It wouldn't stop me from playing the game how I play them, I'd probably just be the female model on my second Playthrough.

On a mostly unrelated side note, as an experiment in college a friend and I designed a simple game and observed people playing it. However, in the beginning, rather than ask the player "are you a boy or a girl", it asked "do you identify as a boy or a girl?" You'd be surprised how many people were livid at such a change, and about 12% refused to even play the rest of the game just because of that slight paradigm shift. So needless to say… I don't actually put much stock in humanity as a whole. So possibly for that reason alone, I hope they don't make Link female; spare us the blowback from mouth-breathing losers who don't know how to contain their misguided rage and bile.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think the delay is less than people are making of it.

If I remember right, didn't Aonuma say in an interview somewheres that the boss fights in Hyrule Warriors gave him some new ideas on how he wanted to handle open world combat? It Nintendo suddenly decided the game needed a complete gameplay overhaul, then the delay makes sense.

elliotstriforce

trollin for booty
it's a good possibility, i'm not sure why else they would postpone the game for another year unless they lost a lot of the data.. thats another possibility.

it's a good possibility, i'm not sure why else they would postpone the game for another year unless they lost a lot of the data.. thats another possibility.

Well, if the idea that Aonuma got some gameplay ideas for boss fights from Hyrule Warriors is true, that means they are probably having to redesign all the dungeons to accommodate that.

Keep in mind that big-release Zelda games being delayed is almost a tradition at this point. Twilight Princess apparently went through a good deal of changes...and that was *before* they decided to port it to Wii. If you look around the internet, there's a large number of screenshots from cutscenes and gameplay that never happened.

Most businesses that have been around as long as Nintendo (which is a pretty darn long time) know to keep backups of everything anyway.

Yeah, there's no way it's just losing data. There are so many redundancies it's impossible, short of someone nuking their Dev building.

When it comes down to it, I think the big changes are just them implementing a bunch of gameplay ideas. Maybe it's boss fights, maybe it's new dungeons, maybe it's new items or traversal methods or just a totally new way of doing things.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
I think, if this game is going to be a WW prequel, they want to make the game feel more like a WW prequel by making the design more Toon-Shade like while keeping some of the promised realistic feel. They're probably giving the game of an anime style look much like the style Fire Emblem has.

So that said, everything will pretty much look the same except with a bit of a more cel-shaded look, Link's hair will probably be a bit more blonde-like, and everything will be more polished with a more finished type look to it. Who knows, Zelda U Link could be re-introduced as "Anime Link".

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I think, if this game is going to be a WW prequel, they want to make the game feel more like a WW prequel by making the design more Toon-Shade like while keeping some of the promised realistic feel. They're probably giving the game of an anime style look much like the style Fire Emblem has.

So that said, everything will pretty much look the same except with a bit of a more cel-shaded look, Link's hair will probably be a bit more blonde-like, and everything will be more polished with a more finished type look to it. Who knows, Zelda U Link could be re-introduced as "Anime Link".
What gives you the notion it would be a Wind Waker prequel?

They already made a Wind Waker prequel. It was called Ocarina of Time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom