• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Race Theory: A Study on Gorons and Goron Reproduction

Fierce

Deity Link
Reading Axle's wonderful article on races, I was inspired to start this topic about the lovable Gorons.
Zoras have male and female counterparts, as do Hylians, Deku Scrub, Kokiri, etc... and yet the Gorons are always mysteriously male. Patriarch is the term used for the Goron leader in Twilight Princess. This is a bit of a confirmation for this, as Patriarch stands for male leader. The destinction is made, making it clear that the Goron is a single gender race with only masculine qualities.

Therein, how would these creatures create offspring?

I believe the gorons may perhaps reproduce asexually through budding, so to speak...

I will define budding first off, for those who aren't familiar with the term. Taken straight from Wikipedia:
Budding is a form of asexual reproduction in which a new organism grows on another one. The new organism remains attached as it grows, separating from the parent organism only when it is mature. Since the reproduction is asexual, the newly created organism is a clone and is genetically identical to the parent organism.

- Genetically identical: Now this would make sense that they share the same DNA, as most gorons look nearly identical in all the series. The way their physical structure changes is likely due to diet. The amount of rocks and the quality of rocks does in fact matter, as has been gathered through conversations in OOT, MM, and TP. In this way, the rocks eaten could increase size and shape with age. As seen in MM and TP, age weathers and chisels away at older gorons making them mishapen and disfigured, much like it does with rocks in real life. All sharing the same DNA, all gorons are in fact, related... thus perhaps why each address each other as brother. (This term was likely extended to Link as a metaphorical bond)

- Growing on the Goron: HUGELY possible. Ever notice the rocky sprout-like patches on the back of the gorons? I theorize this is where the baby gorons grow and bud off of. This would also explain the father/ son relationships certain gorons have. The rocky diet seems odd for survival... but if this was true it would make sense. The gorons are living rocks perhaps, as they do not require the need to breath. (As seen in TP) Adding rocks to their diet, their backs calcify, creating new gorons. This makes them a hugely resiliant race, explaining why they've been able to survive in practically every game after OOT. Even Underwater in WW, these gorons likely lived, having an aquatic existance feeding on seabed rocks and going to the surface to trade.

-Leaving only when mature: Maturity is a major theme among the gorons. Like the ritual of rolling all the way down the hill with a bomb flower... This would explain also why young gorons are always seen at roughly the same age as well.

This is all of course, not confirmed in anyway.

What are your thoughts on the ideas I've proposed? What are some of your theories on Goron biology?

My Dear Epona

Its all about balance
I do agree in the theory of they breeding asexually, what about mitosis? i dont say it like making fun of or anything but when i think about goron breeding i think about the baby and his dad on MM and he really looked like a part of him was taken away, what if he actually had a part of him taken away? by mitosis? now you could argue that the fire sage did have a son and he did look the same, then i would say maybe they grow their bodies back after a while, maybe in MM this process was interrupted by the fact that the father was frozen

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
You think Gorons...bud? Why? They're normal life forms, not bacteria. I'm not calling you stupid, but this is something I can't understand at all. The rocks on their backs are for protection. Remember Goron Link's "shield?" He used his back.

Djinn

and Tonic
You think Gorons...bud? Why? They're normal life forms, not bacteria. I'm not calling you stupid, but this is something I can't understand at all.

Actually much more complex creatures than single cell organisms reproduce by budding. you might be confusing budding with binary fission which is typically how single cell organisms reproduce. The most well known creature to reproduce by budding is coral. Which is an animal, not a plant btw. Which also shares a similar feature to the Gorons by creating a very rocklike calcium shell. I made a post on this a few months ago but I only listed it as a possibility.
http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showt...l-Gorons-Males&p=209304&viewfull=1#post209304
But I think this is a very interesting theory on Goron reproduction. This does do a great job of explaining exactly why majority of the Goron species is identical with very little variation outside of a few named individuals. Even then their main differences are having rocky beards or different looking hair.

Mostly since Nintendo has never been very shy about showing many young and elderly Gorons in the villages in several games, but still no females of any kind. It seems to be a strange occurrence to have one aspect of their society but not any other after four or five different appearances on three separate consoles. There were so many chances to have a female within the village but they never took it, there had to be a reason behind that. Even more so that the Gorons have appeared the most out of all the extra tribes invented in OoT.

This theory also does a good job of displaying the Goron species as a truly separate species and not a different breed of humans with some racial superpower. It is a rare occasion for a game developer to create a species that actually comes off as a different species from human. Instead of simply making short humans or forest humans and calling them something different. gorons are a great example of a separate species of animal.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Actually much more complex creatures than single cell organisms reproduce by budding. you might be confusing budding with binary fission which is typically how single cell organisms reproduce. The most well known creature to reproduce by budding is coral. Which is an animal, not a plant btw. Which also shares a similar feature to the Gorons by creating a very rocklike calcium shell. I made a post on this a few months ago but I only listed it as a possibility.
http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showt...l-Gorons-Males&p=209304&viewfull=1#post209304
But I think this is a very interesting theory on Goron reproduction. This does do a great job of explaining exactly why majority of the Goron species is identical with very little variation outside of a few named individuals. Even then their main differences are having rocky beards or different looking hair.

Mostly since Nintendo has never been very shy about showing many young and elderly Gorons in the villages in several games, but still no females of any kind. It seems to be a strange occurrence to have one aspect of their society but not any other after four or five different appearances on three separate consoles. There were so many chances to have a female within the village but they never took it, there had to be a reason behind that. Even more so that the Gorons have appeared the most out of all the extra tribes invented in OoT.

This theory also does a good job of displaying the Goron species as a truly separate species and not a different breed of humans with some racial superpower. It is a rare occasion for a game developer to create a species that actually comes off as a different species from human. Instead of simply making short humans or forest humans and calling them something different. gorons are a great example of a separate species of animal.

Oh, right, I did say that wrong. I should have said yeast, or something.

Fierce

Deity Link
Budding is a means of asexual reproduction... It is not something normally attributed to Bacteria either...

Sure the rocks on the back can serve as a shield, but that works for the theory as well. Wouldn't be only natural that the most protected part of the Goron would be the part harboring its offspring?

Think of budding in the way a stalagmite/mite grows. We know rocks don't literally grow, but they can calcify. If a goron is a single sex rock based organism, the concept of a natural rock growth asexual reproduction makes sense.

Goron children always refer to their father, not fathers. Meaning the form of reproduction is implied to not be sexual, as there is only one parent.
Fungus can no gender and can reproduce through budding. Compare this rather than bacteria...

Edit:

I just read your article on Gorons Djinn. Awesome work, looks like much of our theories coincide with one another.

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
I've basically had the same theories. Gorons are basically sentient, land-based coral.

Couldn't have worded it better myself. Great article.

E

Everysummer

How do you explain the fact that they all have belly buttons?

S

SolidSnape

Just something i've thought of while viewing this thread is what if Gorons reproduced like sea slugs?
With all of them being hermaphrodite and both having male and female organs, or like the slugs who have only one and wrestle to determine who gets to deposit it's sperm into the other individual.
This would solve almost every problem with any existing theory apart from maybe every baby or kid Goron calling his father ''father'' but that would just be the Goron's waying to of refering to it«s progenitor while talking to other races like the Hylians, for all we know the gorons may have their own language and only use english (or Hylian) to talk to Link and possibly everyone else; this would also explain the crude manner in wich (i feel like) some of them speak.

Sorry for being late to the party :P

I agree there is a social hole in the goron race where women would usually be. However, I'm not sure I can fully jump into this theory. It is really cool, and probably comes about as close to answering the goron conundrum as we can get, but there are a few things I'd like to point out. First, that in OOT Darunia is the tribal leader due to his lineage, which would be irrelevant if many gorons originated from his potentially very numerous ancestors. Baby goron also tells you as an adult that Darunia and himself are descended directly from the ancient goron hero who sealed volvagia, which stands them apart from the rest of the gorons and motivates the rest of the race to look to Darunia, and Darunia only, in times of trouble. If gorons reproduced asexually, then considering there are only about 10 gorons living on death mountain in OOT, either the gorons are EXTREMELY classist or each goron can only make one baby over the course of a lifetime.

As for the maturity aspect of budding, baby goron is in no way mature, either in MM or OOT. In order to preserve the lineage arguments presented in the games, only 1 baby may be begotten by each goron, so why is baby goron in MM the son to the ancient elder? Wouldn't it make more sense for his one and only baby to grow and detach in the prime of life? And, do the babies just grow on their own? Or do gorons decide when to have them? Considering that every goron has the rocky back described as a "womb" of sorts, then each goron must grow a baby goron or even many, again disrupting the lineage-determined leadership in OOT, MM and TP.

I like this idea, but it still has a long way to go :) Maybe you could play through at least OOT and MM again to get any and all possible information out of our rocky friends and continue to add on to your theory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom