• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Questions concerning Majora

I was just wondering, if there's such thing as Majora's Mask, then there has to be someone, or something called Majora. Now, I don't think that this question has been resolved, in MM or any other Zelda game. So what, or who, do you think Majora is or was?

linkman8

True and Noble
Well, if you read the manga (Yes, I know it's not canon), there was an adventurer who met a beast with armor that could grant wishes, and the adventurer played his drum, and the beast danced for several days until he died. Then the adventurer took the beast's armor and carved out a mask. Since it was made of the beast's wish-granting armor, it had the same powers.
My guess would be the adventurer is Majora, unless I've missed something.

Hmm, well that's interesting. Probably the best explanation, even if it isn't canon. I've never read the manga, so I didn't know that. But, if the Mask grants wishes, why would it be so evil? I know that in the hands of someone bad, it could be disastrous, but it seemed to have a mind of it's own, and an evil one at that.

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
Hmm, well that's interesting. Probably the best explanation, even if it isn't canon. I've never read the manga, so I didn't know that. But, if the Mask grants wishes, why would it be so evil? I know that in the hands of someone bad, it could be disastrous, but it seemed to have a mind of it's own, and an evil one at that.

If you replay Majora's Mask you'll find that the Happy Mask Salesman talks about it in the beginning. It was used by a tribe for hexing rituals and such.

Assuming the "wish armor" thing is true, then it's possible the armor or its creator had evil intent and were going to use it to cause harm to others.

Since the "Majora" is just in mask form now, I wonder how powerful the true Majora was. That would be a boss fight.

linkman8

True and Noble
Well, providing Majora was the adventurer I was talking about, he really wasn't that evil at all. The beast was evil, though, because he devoured anyone who tried to hunt him for his armor. Perhaps that's where the evil came from.

If you replay Majora's Mask you'll find that the Happy Mask Salesman talks about it in the beginning. It was used by a tribe for hexing rituals and such.

Yeah, I know, but that doesn't say anything about the original Majora.

Maybe the evil of the beast was poured into the armor when it died, hence making the mask carved out of it evil. Obviously it couldn't have come from the adventurer, because he slew the evil beast, so he couldn't be all that bad, especially since he didn't keep the mask for himself. Or maybe he did keep the mask, and it turned him evil.

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
An btw, what does cannon mean?

Cannon means included as part. You'll see this a lot in anime/video game debates as well as in debates about the bible. If it's cannon, then it means it's included as part of the series. If it's not, then it's just a side story holding little or no value to the topic at hand.

Leix

Error
You know, I always thought the manga beast, Majora or not, looked kind of silly. But the musician resembling Fierce Deity who destroyed the beast kinda makes it unlikely that he's called Majora.
Also, in the manga, neither character had names. It was just a musician who played a drum and a beast who ate everyone(connection to the moon? i must consume all?)

Cannon means included as part. You'll see this a lot in anime/video game debates as well as in debates about the bible. If it's cannon, then it means it's included as part of the series. If it's not, then it's just a side story holding little or no value to the topic at hand.

I always thought Canon was regarded as official in the sense that the people who created the other stories created that story as well. If not, then it's just a side money maker. Like the CD-i things, those weren't created by the makers of Zelda, just some other company who bought temporary ownership of Zelda and thought if they stuck Zelda in front of it they could make tons of money and promote their product better.

Last edited:
The manga included a big beast that looks like the thing the Avatar rides around on that Nickelodeon show....But meaner. It wore armor that would grant wishes to whoever wore it, so people would often come to challenge it to a fight to try and kill it and take its armor. Well one day someone came along. The adventurer looked a lot like the Fierce Diety. The beast would eat its challengers and was never happy because it never had a real challenge, or a friend, or whatever, so the adventurer played a tune on his drum for days until the beast danced itself to death.

That is a very basic, relying on memory, recap of the manga by the way.

Now, since the manga is not canon, it can be at least believable that the posibility is there for it to be true according to some things in the game itself. Majora's Incarnation (the second version of the Majora's Mask final battle) dances around. You got a mask that resembles the guy who actually killed the beast in the manga, now fighting the mask supposidly carved from its armor.

J

Joey Kazooie

Isn´t Majora the evil in the mask? Like when he transforms, he has a human form.

P

Powerbracelet

Joey Kazooie has it right, and I'm surprised no one else said it.

Remember in the final battle, when you're fighting the boss it has the boss name. The first phase says Majora's Mask, but that's when you're still facing the mask. However, the little hyper infant is majora's incarnation, not "majora's mask's incarnation".

Then "Majora's Wrath". It's hard to avoid that. Obviously you're facing majora's wrath, but you're also facing a screaming humanshape thing. So if you're facing majora's wrath, there's a wrath to be had, and it's being had by majora. So the angry beast is majora. End discussion.

Yes, but what is that evil that inhabits the mask?. My guess is Majora (if not the beast in the manga) could be an evil spirit summoned by the tribe, in order to have complete power over neighboring tribe's or something.

Kybyrian

There could be so many possible theories, and we just don't have enough facts to be able to solve it completely, but I don't believe Majora was the traveler, for reasons already stated in the thread. (Majora's Incarnation, Majora's Wrath)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom