• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Questions About the Mirror of Twilight

Hi everyone

I've just finished TP for the second time (the first time being 8 years ago).
Since I'm alot more into the story and timelines of the series, I still have a few unanswered questions, related to the Mirror of Twilight.

Ganondorf was banished to the Twilight Realm. There he met Zant which he granted some of his power to invade Hyrule.

- How did Zant and his demons travel to the Light World to steal the light from the guardians? I thought it was sealed for good. And even if he used the Mirror of Twilight, why didn't the Twili use it before?
- Did Zant broke the mirror into pieces? Why?
- Suddenly Ganondorf envaded Hyrule Castle. How did he travel to the Light World again?

I'm really confused and Hyrule Historia doesn't provide the answers I'm looking for.

It really doesn't make sense to me.

All the Interlopers were banished yet they can easily go to the Light World again. Same for Midna

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
NotoriousG said:
- How did Zant and his demons travel to the Light World to steal the light from the guardians? I thought it was sealed for good. And even if he used the Mirror of Twilight, why didn't the Twili use it before?
He used the Twilight Portals to do so. This was an alternate way into the Light World. My explanation for why he was able to do such was due to him borrowing powers from his master, Ganondorf.

NotoriousG said:
- Did Zant broke the mirror into pieces? Why?
Yes he did; he couldn't break it as only the true ruler of the Twili could (Midna) - his power was false. Zant did this so Link and Midna couldn't gain access to the Twilight Realm. Zant was weak and he knew that he wasn't as powerful as he first thought. His death was invertible and this was his last chance. Zant was really a coward and nothing more, unfortunately.

NotoriousG said:
- Suddenly Ganondorf envaded Hyrule Castle. How did he travel to the Light World again?
We can assume Hyrule Castle was took over since pretty much the start of the game. It's probably why no one spoke that much of it nor had access to it. Also, Zant's death allowed Ganondorf to gain enough power to return to his physical form and thus return.

He used the Twilight Portals to do so. This was an alternate way into the Light World. My explanation for why he was able to do such was due to him borrowing powers from his master, Ganondorf.

Yes he did; he couldn't break it as only the true ruler of the Twili could (Midna) - his power was false. Zant did this so Link and Midna couldn't gain access to the Twilight Realm. Zant was weak and he knew that he wasn't as powerful as he first thought. His death was invertible and this was his last chance. Zant was really a coward and nothing more, unfortunately.

We can assume Hyrule Castle was took over since pretty much the start of the game. It's probably why no one spoke that much of it nor had access to it. Also, Zant's death allowed Ganondorf to gain enough power to return to his physical form and thus return.

The first two make sense now.

Although I'm not sure about the last one. The protection field was already cast around the castle before Link defeated Zant. So I assume Ganondorf was already sitting on the throne.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
The first two make sense now.

Although I'm not sure about the last one. The protection field was already cast around the castle before Link defeated Zant. So I assume Ganondorf was already sitting on the throne.
Ah you're right; I forgot about that.

Ok, so Princess Zelda holds the Triforce of Wisdom and what I assume happened was that when she gave her last powers to Midna she gave up Hyrule Castle. Basically, when Link restored Lanayru to normal, Hyrule Castle was free from evil (briefly). Although, Princess Zelda was using the last of her powers to protect the Castle from Ganondorf. When she gave the very last of her powers--to revive Midna--the protection of the Castle was no more, which allowed Ganondorf to seize control.

This probably explains why Zant retreated to the Twilight Realm. Ganondorf probably instructed him to do so in order to stop Midna from retrieving the full power of the Twili, which was enough to break the force field he had placed around Hyrule.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
- How did Zant and his demons travel to the Light World to steal the light from the guardians?

Since Midna didn't know where the mirror was originally I'm going to assume she (and Zant) used the twilight portals.

I thought it was sealed for good. And even if he used the Mirror of Twilight, why didn't the Twili use it before?

Sealed for good? They were actively using it to banish criminals. Also, the light is deadly to the twili, so there's no reason to use it.

- Did Zant broke the mirror into pieces?

Yes

To hinder the heroes efforts to stop him.

Suddenly Ganondorf envaded Hyrule Castle. How did he travel to the Light World again?

The only thing stopping him was how weak he was. He used the twili's hatred to grow strong again and took it from there.

Since Midna didn't know where the mirror was originally I'm going to assume she (and Zant) used the twilight portals.

Sealed for good? They were actively using it to banish criminals. Also, the light is deadly to the twili, so there's no reason to use it.

I still find it hard to accept that they just used the portals. The game states several times that the mirror is the only gateway between the 2 worlds. The only way to accept it is if Ganondorf used his powers to create those portals...

The light can't be deadly to the twili. At the end when the curse is broken on Midna, she stands as Twilight Princess on Hyrule field in full sunlight...

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I still find it hard to accept that they just used the portals. The game states several times that the mirror is the only gateway between the 2 worlds. The only way to accept it is if Ganondorf used his powers to create those portals...

The light can't be deadly to the twili. At the end when the curse is broken on Midna, she stands as Twilight Princess on Hyrule field in full sunlight...
I really don't understand the use of Twilight Portals to access the Light Realm, either, but I can answer the second question. When Zelda sacrificed herself to save Midna, Midna gained a tolerance for light that the other Twili lack. It's why prior to that, she always remains in your shadow, but after you get the Master Sword, she rides on Wolf Link's back and stands in the Sacred Grove in the light. Evidence for the Twili's intolernace for light is shown by the fact that Zant used the Light Spirit's light to harm Midna in the first place, which made Zelda's intervention necessary.

EDIT: Besides, wasn't it sunset/sunrise at the end of Twilight Princess...? I don't think it was full sunlight. XD

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links

Yeah...and she was in the sunlight several times as an imp too. Zelda gave her power so she could survive in the sunlight. As the full fledged Twilight Princess, I imagine she'd have enough power of her own to be immune, like Zant did.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I don't think it was Princess Zelda who gave Midna the power to survive in the Light World as it was more so Zant. Quite ironic, lol.

Anyway this quote is what I'm on about:

Zant: "And that, Midna, is why... I need you. Not just for me, but for all of our people... Lend me your power. So be it... I will return you to the light world you covet!"
Zant exposes Midna to the element of light and basically makes her a being of the Light World. This is further supported by the fact that this was the first time Midna was in her physical form in the Light and that she had this golden light-like glow. Princess Zelda cured her but her ability to coexist in the Light World remained.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
I don't think it was Princess Zelda who gave Midna the power to survive in the Light World as it was more so Zant. Quite ironic, lol.

Anyway this quote is what I'm on about:

Zant exposes Midna to the element of light and basically makes her a being of the Light World. This is further supported by the fact that this was the first time Midna was in her physical form in the Light and that she had this golden light-like glow. Princess Zelda cured her but her ability to coexist in the Light World remained.

What he said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom