• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Public School or Private School?

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I go to a public school.

Specifically it's a known as a magnet school, a type of public school where you need slightly above average grades to get in (it sounds like it's for genius level students but if you have a 3.0 GPA it's pretty easy to get in). In a magnet school you choose a certain elective focus that you take for 4 years. It's similar to a college major, but it's simply to give you an idea or training in the field of the elective that you're taking.

My magnet school is known as a STEM magnets. STEM stands for science, technology, engineering, and math, and describes our schools focus. The programs offered as magnets at my school are Video Game Design, Computer Systems Technology, PLTW (Project Lead the Way)-Engineering (my course), and PLTW-Biomedical Science.

I really wouldn't want to go to a private school cause it would put my schedule at odds with all of my friends and I really don't want to have to pay to go to a school, especially when most private schools are christian in some form and I really don't care about religion.

Nicole

luke is my wife
I went to a private elementary/middle school. It was a Roman Catholic school that ran Pre-K through 8th grade. I started there in 1st grade and just graduated 8th grade this past June. Let's just say I wouldn't recommend it. It was far too small, which is significantly hindering to both socialization and education. A small school does not allow for the separation of skill levels and therefore I was learning at a far slower pace than I could have. It held back my potential significantly, and that's one big regret of mine. I was also not very happy with the religion aspect of the school later on in the year.

Now I'm going to public school. I'm going from a private school of ~180 kids (in nine grades) to a public school of 1200 kids (in four grades). I'm very excited for the change. The high school I'll be going to, with its size, offers some pretty awesome classes that should provide more enrichment for me and provide more of a challenge (maybe). There also were no sports in my old school, whereas there are dozens here in my new school. I also believe public school is much more lax, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. I know how to properly conduct myself so I don't think I'll run into any problems; if I do, I know I can handle myself in any situation, be it verbal or physical. I'm not concerned about the size difference nor the class difficultly difference. I welcome the change as I know it'll be a wonderful experience for me.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I am currently attending a public highschool in my neighborhood. My family cannot afford a private school, and I wouldn't want to go to one anyway. They're probably too uptight for me. Besides that, I found friends I truly care about at my school, and that's really all that matters to me. I mean, it's not like I cant get into a good college or get a good education unless I go to a private school.

Semi-Private?
It's Public for everyone who lives in my town and certain towns surrounding it (It's kind of like a Collage where it has a campus and several buildings, but it's a high school) but if you live in a different town, you have the option of paying to go there.
There's also a Headmaster and Deans instead of a Principal/Assisstant principals, but we don't wear uniforms or anything and there's like 3,000 kids total. Which also puts alot of stress on Freshman, like me, who are confused about everything (too many buildings DX)

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Public school. I have nothing against private schools, it's just that I was always enrolled in public school. Would I want to go to private school? No, not really. I feel that most of the time, public schools offer more than private schools, but that's just me.

If I had a dollar for every person I ran into while walking through the halls, I'd be as rich as Bill Gates.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I went to a small public school for most of my secondary education. Up til 11th grade I had no choice but to put up with the limited educational opportunities it offered and, since the school was far more interested in its football program than anything else (admittedly they were actually pretty good, 3A champions for a few years running), I wasn't very happy with it.

Then I got the opportunity to go to OSSM (Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics) for my junior and senior year. I still had to go to public school to take care of English and stuff, but since I was only there for half of the day I luckily got to skip past all the stupid bullcrap everyone else had to go through. Mind you, I wouldn't have had switched earlier, going to a public school and being the main target for bullying due to my intelligence gave me a thick skin and the will & guts to stand up to injustice. However, by junior year I had moved past all that irrelevant stuff, and public school was only slowing me down. I'm so glad I got to go to OSSM, it gave me a very good fundamental understanding of calculus and physics that I took with me to my college engineering classes. My physics professor, in particular, was the best teacher I've ever had. Even though he was an outright a$$hole, he instilled in me an intuitive understanding of physics that many of my peers were without when we first entered engineering classes.

I don't think that would have been possible had I gone to a private school. True, I most likely would have been able to study more interesting topics in high school, but public schools gave me the social skills I've needed. I've seen the difference among engineering students between public schooled and private schooled, and it's not pretty. The private schooled, while still very intelligent, didn't know how to handle themselves around other people as well, and they stuck out like a sore thumb. So yes, I'm more in favor of public schools, but with the caveat to seek out extra opportunities for learning as well.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
I went to a private elementary/middle school. It was a Roman Catholic school that ran Pre-K through 8th grade. I started there in 1st grade and just graduated 8th grade this past June. Let's just say I wouldn't recommend it. It was far too small, which is significantly hindering to both socialization and education. A small school does not allow for the separation of skill levels and therefore I was learning at a far slower pace than I could have. It held back my potential significantly, and that's one big regret of mine. I was also not very happy with the religion aspect of the school later on in the year.

Now I'm going to public school. I'm going from a private school of ~180 kids (in nine grades) to a public school of 1200 kids (in four grades). I'm very excited for the change. The high school I'll be going to, with its size, offers some pretty awesome classes that should provide more enrichment for me and provide more of a challenge (maybe). There also were no sports in my old school, whereas there are dozens here in my new school. I also believe public school is much more lax, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. I know how to properly conduct myself so I don't think I'll run into any problems; if I do, I know I can handle myself in any situation, be it verbal or physical. I'm not concerned about the size difference nor the class difficultly difference. I welcome the change as I know it'll be a wonderful experience for me.

Going to an all Catholic school must've been rough. I can easily say Catholicism is one of the worst religions out there and to go to a school that preaches the stuff all the time, man o man/

Anyway, I don't go to any school! Thehehehehe!!!!!! IM OUT!!!! THANK THE HEAVENS POOR KIDDIES!!!

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Going to an all Catholic school must've been rough. I can easily say Catholicism is one of the worst religions out there and to go to a school that preaches the stuff all the time, man o man/

Anyway, I don't go to any school! Thehehehehe!!!!!! IM OUT!!!! THANK THE HEAVENS POOR KIDDIES!!!

Well I did go to a Catholic school while I'm not catholic. I did have a good time though.

I go to public school . . . it's the butt school of all the ones in my town.

The city next to us is having a real problem with teen pregnancy so to avoid bullying and what not they send all the pregnant girls to my school. It's creepy.
I like my school though, it's fun to make friends with the police dogs that come in and sniff for drugs on a daily basis . . .

Go_Skyward

Seek a door that carries a [9]
No love for homeschoolers? I'm hurt!

Anyways... I am homeschooled, but really, I go to school online (kind of like an online college, but for you know... school other than college)

So it's more like a.... homeschool charter school... If that makes ANY sense...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom