• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sony PS5 Price Increasing in Select Markets

Sony is increasing the price of the PS5 in select markets as a result of high inflation.

The new RRPs below are effective immediately unless otherwise noted.*

• Europe
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – €549.99
    • PS5 Digital Edition – €449.99
  • UK
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – £479.99
    • PS5 Digital Edition – £389.99
  • Japan (effective Sept. 15, 2022)
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥60,478 yen (including tax)
    • PS5 Digital Edition – ¥49,478 yen (including tax)
  • China
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥4,299 yuan
    • PS5 Digital Edition – ¥3,499 yuan
  • Australia
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – AUD $799.95
    • PS5 Digital Edition – AUD $649.95
  • Mexico
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – MXN $14,999
    • PS5 Digital Edition – MXN $12,499
  • Canada
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – CAD $649.99
    • PS5 Digital Edition – CAD $519.99
What are your thoughts on these price increases? Will this affect your decision to buy a PS5 if you're in these regions?

Do you think Microsoft and Nintendo will follow suit?

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
To purchase a PS5, there has got to be a PS5 to be purchased...

I'll probably get it at some point in the future, but don't know when, I'm not in a rush to get one. I just want to play the new Ratchet & Clank

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
This might finally be the generation that Xbox actually beats PlayStation in sales.

Speaking of, the Xbox is 100% the reason why they aren’t increasing in the US. They don’t want to lose sales in the one place where they actually have a competitor, though I wouldn’t be surprised if the Series X/S gained sales in other regions from this.

This might finally be the generation that Xbox actually beats PlayStation in sales.

Speaking of, the Xbox is 100% the reason why they aren’t increasing in the US. They don’t want to lose sales in the one place where they actually have a competitor, though I wouldn’t be surprised if the Series X/S gained sales in other regions from this.

I think it's pretty unlikely because a lot of Xbox games are also on PC. Microsoft is deprioritizing console sales for more Game Pass subscribers. Regardless, it'll be less lopsided than Xbox One's 50 million sales vs. PS4's 117 million sales. Add 15 million to the Xbox column and take away that much from Playstation this generation seems right. That would put the PS5 at around PS1 numbers and make the Xbox Series the second best selling Xbox console.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I think it's pretty unlikely because a lot of Xbox games are also on PC. Microsoft is deprioritizing console sales for more Game Pass subscribers. Regardless, it'll be less lopsided than Xbox One's 50 million sales vs. PS4's 117 million sales. Add 15 million to the Xbox column and take away that much from Playstation this generation seems right. That would put the PS5 at around PS1 numbers and make the Xbox Series the second best selling Xbox console.
You say that, yet supposedly the Series X/S has been the fastest selling Xbox yet.

Sony doesn’t really prioritize exclusives as much as you’d think, particularly this generation. Sure you have your occasional Ratchet and Clank and Demon Souls, but most of the other big name “exclusives” are also on PC or PS4. Its to the point where the only reason anyone buys either a PlayStation or an Xbox is because they prefer console gaming to PC, and for that the Series X/S is the cheaper, more readily available option.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't think I would have been getting a PS5 for a long time (if at all) anyway so this does not impact me but I think Sony can probably get away with this increase given it is already so hard for anyone to get their hands on one still. Some people are paying upwards of $1000 for one from scalpers as it is...

As someone who made the decision to buy an Xbox Series X last month, my decision is not impacted. As a gamer and consumer, though, I would hold off on buying the PS5 until it drops in price.

There are a couple of games coming out on the PS5 that I would like to play such as Insomniac's Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine, and I would also like to get a hold of The Last of Us Part 1 Remake.

Yet, I can hold off because I already have one of the latest consoles. If I do get the PS5, it will probably be towards later in its lifespan.

You say that, yet supposedly the Series X/S has been the fastest selling Xbox yet.

Sony doesn’t really prioritize exclusives as much as you’d think, particularly this generation. Sure you have your occasional Ratchet and Clank and Demon Souls, but most of the other big name “exclusives” are also on PC or PS4. Its to the point where the only reason anyone buys either a PlayStation or an Xbox is because they prefer console gaming to PC, and for that the Series X/S is the cheaper, more readily available option.

Yeah, I feel like Playstation has fallen off with the number of exclusives. I already thought the PS4 was down compared to the PS1-PS3. If Xbox Series actually outsells Xbox 360, that's bad news for PS5 numbers because Xbox and Playstation have consistently sold around 170 million units combined across the past 3 generations.

Yeah, I feel like Playstation has fallen off with the number of exclusives. I already thought the PS4 was down compared to the PS1-PS3. If Xbox Series actually outsells Xbox 360, that's bad news for PS5 numbers because Xbox and Playstation have consistently sold around 170 million units combined across the past 3 generations.

There are even exclusives from the PS1 era that have become multiplatform now. You have games like Resident Evil that is now on Xbox, then there's Tomb Raider. Even Spyro and Crash Bandicoot have made it over to the Xbox platform. Then there are the exclusives from PlayStation that make it onto PC such as Marvel's Spider-Man and Horizon Zero Dawn.

That is if you ignore Nintendo Switch sales.

Also to even buy a PS5 these days it is either pay scalper prices or pay forced bundle prices at gamestop (or the store of your choice).
Near impossible to purchase a PS5 and only a PS5 these days.

Sony gaming is 100% US based these days. The US price is the standard that all the regional prices are compared too. If the USD tanks, Sony will just up the regional pricing to compensate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom