• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

PS2 fat or PS2 slim

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
So I've been seriously considering getting a ps2 lately. The only remaining games from my childhood that I've yet to reclaim are exclusively for ps2, and they're cheap too so I can really get them any time so....well you get the picture.
But when searching which ps2 I should get, I've been hearing a lot on both console types having issues: such as the disc tray wearing out for the original or the console overheating for the slim

I was wondering if you guys could tell me your experiences w/ the ps2 hardware,especially if you owned both. And above all,which version I should go for.

Clank

Hmm
Go for the fat if you want to mod it, otherwise, definitely go for the slim. I've never had overheating issues with the slim (I have a 75XXX), but earlier models could have it.
On the fat though, the lasers have a tendency to die really easily. But the fats also have a hard drive bay which is required for like one game and really useful for modding it. The slim models have a faster disk drive which allows for faster loading times.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
I'd go for a slim. I have both. Technically 3 ps2s. 1 fat two slims one of the slims being the white model. My fat one after awhile still works and the disc tray never gave me problems. It just decided to be a bit picky with the disc reader. Since it decided to have a hard time to read ps1 games but it reads most ps2 games fine depending on wear and tear. One of the ps2 slims only had a slight issue that the lid wouldn't be far enough down to let the console start reading the disc. so a little weight on top fixed that. The white slim so far works perfectly. I've never had any overheating but i kept my game time decently reasonable usualy at most maybe 6 hours but average of 3 at times. I do not know if it was certain models of the slim that overheat.

Maybe a first edition PS3? That'd solve both the disk drive problem and the PS1 game problem, right? Wouldn't they be cheaper nowadays? Or are they more sought after because of modders?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom