• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

PS Vita: The Forgotten System

Reposting this thread from yesterday since it was deleted.

While the Wii U is garnering a lot of attention recently due to strong software trying to save the failing system, another low sales machine is forgotten: the PS Vita. Considering Sony did well with the PSP, a system that narrowly outsold the GBA, their handling of the Vita is just bizarre.

The Playstation division is once more advertising its handheld as a way to play consoles games on the go. While it's a bizarre decision considering most people play handheld games for shorter bursts of time, that strategy didn't backfire for the PSP. Another factor must explain the Vita's failure. The true failure of the Vita lies in it mostly being advertised as a means for PS3 and PS4 cross-platform play. The system hardly receives sufficient spotlight for its own games.

What do you think of how Sony has handled the PS Vita thus far? How can the system be better advertised?

Mido

Version 1
I replied to the original thread, but I think I want to rework my original answer. For one thing, I give Sony credit for their advocating of 'console-on-the-go' mantra. It most certainly worked with the PSP in a few cases, with high-powered graphics and games such as MediEvil ,Daxter, and various MLB games lining the forefront of its library. The Vita, if I recall right, has a port of Borderlands 2, so the Sony's strategy in this respect is certainly not a bad thing.

From what you're saying, the main problem lies in the lack of exposure to the Vita's individuality as a system. Take the 3DS for instance: there are a few things that the 3DS offers in terms of cross-platform functioning, such as what has been done with Super Smash Bros. and Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate; however, the 3DS still harbors a solid identity because it is not only advertised as such, but also has an excellent library of games that draws an audience in. In this respect, a bolstered library coupled with some more attention towards the Vita can help. If anything, the Vita needs some firepower, some noteworthy entries that can entice players into purchasing the handheld. At this point, it does not seem likely that the Vita will pick up an exponential amount of steam, but small strides towards more exposure marketwise certainly does help.

I think they handled it poorly. they did not even try. they did things for it in the 1st year for it. and made some bad decisions for it like the insane prices for the memory cards. over time they eventually just ignored it like the other things the Sony comes out with ( like the PS move). Cross play will never save the system, not meany games support it . only exclusives can save it. but honestly i feel that its too late for that.

Gemquarry

The Inquirer
I liked the direction Sony was going when they made the PSP (I didn't always want to play on a duel screen handheld). But honestly I felt pretty underwhelmed when it came to the PS Vita. I never really even thought once of upgrading mostly because I saw nothing strong in the systems game line up, and really I saw nothing I didn't care to miss. As far as to why it overall hasn't done well...I speculate the system's advertising, mixed with the fact that they treat it as nothing more than a PS3 to PS4 accessory. And of course the weak-ish game line up. But I guess if Sony cared enough, they could give the Vita a boost of some sort.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
The original PSP was so successful because multimedia devices didn't exist back then. The idea that you could listen to music, game, use the internet and watch movies on a single device, in 2005, was incredible!

Of course, smartphones have come along and basically, the majority of people don't need a multimedia device, which the VITA has tried to be.

Kybyrian

Did the PSP really do better than the Vita? That seems odd to me. I've always heard more about the Vita over the PSP. I also rarely saw people with a PSP back in that generation, but saw tons of people with GBA/DS/etc.

I actually love the Vita, I'm not sure what's wrong with it. Remote play is a great feature, perhaps undersold. Maybe the issue is advertisement? I don't think many people see a lot of incentive to get a Vita. Exclusives can be a thing, too, but I have plenty of games for the Vita. Honestly, I think it's more rich in valuable exclusives than the 3DS. Of course, that may depend on my genre choice, but the PS Vita has the power and capability to give a great variety of games in different genres. Freedom Wars, Tales of Hearts R, that mind zero or whatever it's called game, Touch my Katamari, Soul Sacrifice... those are just a few. There are more coming out in the future that I'm going to get.

I don't think the Vita went wrong anywhere... the multimedia part of it isn't what ticks for me, but that's never going to be what gets me to buy a gaming system; it's always the games and how they play. To be honest, I don't think Sony went wrong on either of those directions. The Vita is built fantastically and the games that it plays play incredibly well. Easy-to-hold and easy-to-use. I think it has some good games backing it up, but those are just niche things. Sony never had a good line of exclusives going for it in the past so many people likely never saw the system as a must-buy. What kind of Vita exclusives do you think of that would make it a must buy? Knowing that Freedom Wars is as good as it was beforehand, I would certainly buy one for the promise of it, but no one else knows that. Tales is a great series and the Vita now has Tales of Hearts R, but how many people invest in that?

For me there has to be something making a system a "must buy" for me to get it. It was Tales of Hearts R on the Vita that swayed me, so I got one a few months in advance. I'm glad I did because it's a great system, but most people probably don't have that kind of pull toward the system because nothing screams "must buy" to them even though there are a number of great exclusives that would make it worth it, but none that ultimately stand out and force someone into buying.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Did the PSP really do better than the Vita? That seems odd to me. I've always heard more about the Vita over the PSP. I also rarely saw people with a PSP back in that generation, but saw tons of people with GBA/DS/etc.

Yes, the PSP sold 80 million units. Vita would be lucky if it sold 8 million.

The Vita is a niche product for indie & rpg lovers, but the PSP was a product for the average consumer.

We're hearing more about the Vita now because it's a new system.

Kybyrian

Iridescence said:
We're hearing more about the Vita now because it's a new system.

Well, that's not what I meant. What I mean is that back when the PSP was getting out there, I was rarely exposed to it either in public or through the internet/TV commercials. It was always about Nintendo handhelds, and I never knew the PSP to really provide anything worth getting... the only time I saw people using PSPs were when they were playing some generic racing game that came out on it, so it never seemed like a big deal to me.

The way you say "product for the average consumer" confuses me a little because when I think of the PSP I think... nothing special. Which is why I never owned one. I would think the average consumer wouldn't even invest in a handheld made by a company who had no reputation in the field with little big sellers.

Though, perhaps it's because the PSP offered something clear over its competition at the time, whereas the Vita doesn't seem to have anything specific going for it. The kinds of games the Vita can provide aren't incredibly different from what the 3DS can do. And most people are going to play shooters on home consoles, which is where the Vita has an advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom