• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Protagonists: Male or Female

Although I am unsure as to whether this counts, most of the games that I play are usually made so that the players can customise their avatars to whatever their imaginations permit to borne. I would usually create androgynous or female characters as they require more challenge to adorn than the males, who in turn tend to be rather bland in composition of physical anatomy in comparison to the formers.

As for the games that conform to the norms of society by inclining us into using male protagonists, I have absolutely no problem with them either as I focus more on what the game has to provide for me. As long as the game does not fail to intrigue and hook me onto it, regardless of the protagonists' gender, I do not mind about playing as either a female or a male.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
It really doesn't matter one bit. As long as the game plays well, as long as the character is well developed, as long as the story is well-written (if it's a story-driven game), and most importantly, as long as the game is fun, then it shouldn't really matter.

If the game does present the option, then I usually do one of each, or multiple, with different play-throughs. Especially when the game gives you different options when you pick male vs female.

For example, in Mass Effect, you obviously got different choices to make if you were Male Shepherd or Female Shepherd. In Fallout you got the Lady Killer/Black Widow perks, which obviously make a difference. Things like that make games interesting, and warrant a play through with different characters.

Finally, after I've beaten a game a few times (especially with games like Oblivion and Skyrim), I like to role-play my characters. For example, the last time I played Skyrim, I played as an Imperial female Dwemer scholar, who went around Skyrim exploring the Dwemer ruins. Before that, I played a Nord miner, male. It's nice to mix it up.

But when I play a game that has a defined main character for me, I never care, because that's the decision the game makers made, and there's a reason for that decision.

Just to mention, Bayonetta is one of my favorite all time characters. I love her no-nonsense, sarcastic attitude. Never really cared for Lara Croft, though (haven't played the very newest game).

I don't really care to be honest. I just go with whatever the game gives me. There have been a lot of good protagonists from both genders. Samas Aran is one of the more notable ones, but many others exist too. I prefer the female ones that are not made out to be naked sex symbols though.

The N64 Castlevania games had a female protagonist too. I preferred Carrie to Rhindheart there though. But I base my favourite on who I like more. And that turns out to be a roughly even mix, some male ones I like better and some female ones I like better.
In Diablo 3, the playable characters are not the protagonists of the story but out of 6 characters, 3 I chose as male and 3 female. Just a random example.

3 I chose as male and 3 female. Just a random example.
I play Diablo 3 as well (well I did), all of my characters were male besides my demon hunter. Maybe it's because the original trailer for the demon hunter was a women, that it felt right, or that the male demon hunter wasn't exactly what I'd choose as an ideal male hero to be. But my Barbarian and Crusader no matter how many more I made I always chose males. Since I typically play the strength based classes I think it just makes more sense for me to pick the males anyway.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
When it comes down to choosing, it depends if the game is in 1st person or 3rd person, as a guy if it's in 1st person Ill pick a male to feel more immersed, if it's 3rd person I don't want to stare at a guy for 20+ hours so I choose a female. Fact: Final Fantasy V has 3 Female protagonists.

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
Actually, if I have a choice in the game, like in Dragon Age or Mass effect, I'm just as likely to pick a woman as a man. Like when Splatoon comes out, I will almost certainly choose the girl one because I don't like the look of the boy one.

I play Diablo 3 as well (well I did), all of my characters were male besides my demon hunter. Maybe it's because the original trailer for the demon hunter was a women, that it felt right, or that the male demon hunter wasn't exactly what I'd choose as an ideal male hero to be. But my Barbarian and Crusader no matter how many more I made I always chose males. Since I typically play the strength based classes I think it just makes more sense for me to pick the males anyway.
For me it goes like this:
  • Barbarian - Male
  • Crusader - Female
  • Demon Hunter - Male
  • Monk - Female
  • Witch Doctor - Male
  • Wizard - Female

I don't have a preference for male or female characters. While I can better relate to male protagonists, I enjoy playing from the perspective of a female character as well. Female protagonists may be rarer than male protagonists in videogames, but they tend to be better written. They feel like a more complete person. As far as male protagonists are concerned, I wish companies would move away from the rugged badass of few words. A few games like Sunshine Overdrive add more personality to their male protagonist, yet they're few and far between.

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I don't mind if I play as a male or female protagonist if there is no option to choose. If i'm given the choice to choose a male or female protagonist, though, I prefer male. The girl characters are appealing and whatever, but it just feels weird to choose to play as a girl when I can be a boy. I feel like I can immerse myself in gameplay/story more if I can relate to my protagonist, even if it's something as trivial as gender. It's kind of strange, but what can ya do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I don't think those characters should disappear either, since they are an accurate representation of some men in real life, but they're currently disproportionately represented in videogames.

While that could be true, I don't think we need equal representation in video games, I'd rather let artistic vision or demand dictate the characters we have. I think once you start making characters for representational reasons you're going down a slippery slope where everyone feels entitled to be represented.

However if that's what developers envision for their characters, or if that's what the market majority actually wants, then I have no problems with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom