• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pronunciation Thread

Austin

Austin
This is a fun thread I saw on another forum. Basically, you pronounce different words in English and compare your accent to other community members. It can be really interesting to see how people from different areas of the country and the globe pronounce words differently. If English is not your first language you are doubly encouraged to participate!. You can record yourself either reading a random passage of text or a list of words. I'll be doing the latter. For reference, this is what I'll be saying.

coffee
caught
cot
mary
marry
merry
long island
song
drawer
dog
talk
law

I think these words in particular emphasize my way of speaking. Feel free to either say these or pick your own words. If you want, you can also make this a guessing game. Try to guess where I'm from!

Vocaroo | Voice message

Keeseman

Smash is Life
Vocaroo | Voice message

Here's my words:

About
Boot
Out
House
Doughnut
Coffee
Literally
Milk (side note: I saw a video once about this being pronounced three different ways. It's strange...)
Off
Mom (I spell it Murikan but pronounce it Britishly.)
Beijing (it is not pronounced bei-zhing. Get it right, 鬼佬)

That's it...

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Beijing (it is not pronounced bei-zhing. Get it right, 鬼佬)

Are you Cantonese? *is a curious cat*
Also I've never heard bei-zhing before lol. I've heard some pretty butchered Henan's tho.
EDIT: Austin just spent the last 5 minutes making weird j noises at me trying to explain what zhing sounds like so I'mma just take his word for it and pretend I understand ._________________.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom