• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Pronunciation of Farore

To begin, this is mostly my own personal opinion, so you are free to ignore/disregard this idea. Of the four goddesses, Farore's name is (arguably) the hardest to pronounce. So how is it actually pronounced? This thought crossed my mind after a session of talking to myself. Ever since I started taking German, I've been accidentally applying German pronunciations to English words. This happened with her name. Instead of pronouncing it the way I normally would (fah-roar-ay for those who wonder/care), I pronounced it using German conventions and it came out as Fah-roar-ah (rhymes with aurora). In German, words that end with an "e" generally end with an "a" sound, and one of my friends told me that it is the same way in French (although I don't speak French, so I'll his word for it. There's a distinct possibility that he could be wrong). So, I began thinking, what if this is how it's pronounced? I mean, there isn't really any official statement (that I know of) about the pronunciation of her name. It seem far easier to say than any of the other pronunciations (for me at least), even the one that I usually used. Ever since then, I've used this pronunciation.

So what are your thoughts? How do you pronounce it? Are there any other words/names from the series that you think are hard to pronounce?

Fig

The Altruist
To be honest, I thought these kind of threads were dead. :eek:
As for me, I pronounce it like:

Fah-roah or Fay-roah.

I do remember someone saying it as Fay-roh-ray when I was younger.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I speak some French, and I don't even know how you would say this in French. Haha, so I Americanize it by saying "Fay-orreeeeeee".

When in doubt, look into Hyrule Historia for obviously canon results.

Z

Zelda Dungeon

I've always pronounced it "Fay-roar-ay", and I will always pronounce it as so.
I've never thought about it until you mentioned it. An interesting question indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom