• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Prometheus - SPOILERS

What would you give Prometheus?

• Rating: 5 - Perfect

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rating: 4 - Good

• Rating: 3 - Average

• Rating: 2 - Mediocre

• Rating: 1 - Terrible

• Haven't seen it yet

• Not going to see it

• Total voters

Kuddlesnot

100% Video Creator
Sooo... Who saw Prometheus? Because I did, at the midnight premiere on the West Coast.

It sucked. I'm sorry, but it did. At least George Lucas has the freaking gonads to just re-release his original trilogy with better visual effects, 3D, what have you. Ridley Scott actually had the audacity to just remake Alien, but call it something else.

Some of you may know already, but I am a filmmaker and scholar, so I watch a lot of movies. Including Prometheus, and the Alien Trilogy. I have many, many thoughts on this film, but I am too freaking tired to put them into words at this time in the morning. So I will edit this post when I get time to sit down and type out my detailed thoughts. The above is just my gut reaction.

This won't change, though. So I'll say it now.

SAVE YOURSELF MONEY AND TIME AND JUST WATCH THE ORIGINAL ALIEN AGAIN.

Sooo... What did y'all think?

<and if you just watched both trailers, Ridley isn't even doing a good job of hiding it.>

Last edited:
I'm a film theory graduate with highest honours, and i have gripes with all of the Alien movies especially James Cameron's Aliens (and nearly everything else James Cameron does)

I didn't mind Prometheus, it did seem desperate, it was a prequel more interested in telling a different story than it set out to do, so we didn't get many answers and it also seemed too obsessed with catering to its own possible sequels. I hate 3D so i only watched the 2D version. I thought the set design looked spectacular and aside from Michael Fassbinder's wonderful acting, the film was very flawed and nearly every level. Still, if you pretend it isn't an Alien film and something else entirely, you could get away with something that could be considered mildly entertaining and very pretty. (Though I'm an H.R Giger fan so it was enough for me to just see the new interiors.

Last edited:

Kuddlesnot

100% Video Creator
I didn't mind Prometheus, it did seem desperate, it was a prequel more interested in telling a different story than it set out to do so we didn't get many answers and it also seemed to obsessed with catering to its own possible sequels. I hate 3D so i only watched the 2D version. I thought the set design looked spectacular and aside from Michael Fassbinder's wonderful acting,, the film was very flawed and nearly every level. Still, if you pretend it isn't an Alien film and something else entirely, you could get away with something that could be considered mildly entertaining and very pretty. (Though I'm an H.R Giger fan so it was enough for me to just see the new interiors.

I'd agree with that. I think most of the acting was top notch, despite the gibberish coming out of their mouths (exposition, anyone?) And it did look amazing.

Last edited:

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
nooooooo! I have been waiting to see this and it sucks:( well there were people who told me The Fountain sucked, and I liked it so...we'll see.

Prometheus isn't all bad, it just isn't what you'd expect going off the rest of the series that it is supposed to be foreshadowing. There is a beautiful Fountain-esque scene at the very beginning so don't worry that'll get you in the mood. =]

It sucks that people are like that, they dont have open minds or the good grace to keep their opinions to themselves considering no-one asked. I worked in a cinema not too long back when The Orphanage was playing, and while i was patrolling the screen as the film began about 20 people stood up and demanded their money back because it was subtitled. Some movie goers can be terrible.

Its nice to meet someone who likes the Fountain, and i hope you enjoy Prometheus. =]

The Joker

&lt;span style=&quot;text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
I thought it was quite excellent actually. I enjoyed seeing the origin of the the Alien creature. Also, most of the gripes from the general public are three things:

1. It ruins the mystery of the Space Jocky. (Which I think is a rediculous reason since Ridley Scott said long before it's release that he was gonna reveal most info about the Space Jocky within it.)

2. The Engineers were making weapons. (Again, another ridiculous reason IMO because Ridley Scott mentions in his commentary to Alien that the Space Jockeys designed the Alien creature as a weapon)

3. The same creatures created the humans and then wanted to destroy them, creating confusion. (Again, this was mentioned in the commentary to Alien. There are two, separate civilisations of Space Jockeys. They went to war with each other; which is the whole reason why the Aliens were created to begin with. Many extended universe Alien novels/comics play off this info too. In other words, one group created the humans and the other wished to destroy their creation. The only time this is made evident is the first minutes of the movie. Shaw wanting to question the Engineers was just her own confusion and lack of understanding that there are two civilisations.)

So yeah, I guess that's why I enjoyed it more than most; I was well informed enough to know exactly what I was going to see and was given just that.

Last edited:

Kuddlesnot

100% Video Creator
I thought it was quite excellent actually. I enjoyed seeing the origin of the the Alien creature. Also, most of the gripes from the general public are three things:

1. It ruins the mystery of the Space Jocky. (Which I think is a rediculous reason since Ridley Scott said long before it's release that he was gonna reveal most info about the Space Jocky within it.)

2. The Engineers were making weapons. (Again, another ridiculous reason IMO because Ridley Scott mentions in his commentary to Alien that the Space Jockeys designed the Alien creature as a weapon)

3. The same creatures created the humans and then wanted to destroy them, creating confusion. (Again, this was mentioned in the commentary to Alien. There are two, separate civilisations of Space Jockeys. They went to war with each other; which is the whole reason why the Aliens were created to begin with. Many extended universe Alien novels/comics play off this info too. In other words, one group created the humans and the other wished to destroy their creation. The only time this is made evident is the first minutes of the movie. Shaw wanting to question the Engineers was just her own confusion and lack of understanding that there are two civilisations.)

So yeah, I guess that's why I enjoyed it more than most; I was well informed enough to know exactly what I was going to see and was given just that.

My gripes are with the script, storyline, and plain copied scenes from Alien 1. I enjoyed what it revealed about the series and franchise and world of Alien - but they way that they did it was pretty stupid.

BTW I can't say I loved the fountain, but I was entralled, so much so that I watched it a second time in one sitting, then again a few days later. I thoroughly enjoyed it, in spite of Hugh Jackman. Aronofsky is a genius.

The Joker

&lt;span style=&quot;text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
My gripes are with the script, storyline, and plain copied scenes from Alien 1.

Most people's favorite Alien movie is Aliens. And Aliens is pretty much a copy of the first Alien. I still think it's the best in the series but the fact that it's an epicnized copy of the first film is very evident.

Last edited:
I thought it was an amazing movie, this is coming from a hardcore Alien fan though and I'm sad to see that everyone hates it because they think it is a direct copy of Alien. The only complaint I had was the giant leap in technology, kind of the same suffering we had to endure from watching the Star Wars prequels with all the advanced technology we see in the movies. Then again Ridley always wanted to do a sci-fi movie like this but just didn't have the resources and tech to do it. Now that he has it we can finally see his vision come into full fruition.
All my questions were answered but I was then again left with some new ones, the movie is pure fan service and that's why I loved it. Ugh and that scene at the end, I swear to god I screamed, "YESS!!" in the theater when that Xenomorph hybrid popped out of the Engineer's body.

tumblr_m5ft7ouBFR1r8m92ao1_400.gif

Kuddlesnot

100% Video Creator
Most people's favorite Alien movie is Aliens. And Aliens is pretty much a copy of the first Alien. I still think it's the best in the series but the fact that it's an epicnized copy of the first film is very evident.

Umm.... Alien is a Science Fiction Horror Film while Aliens is a Science Fiction Action Film. So while certainly there is similarities considering the obvious sequel elements, it is anything but a copy of Alien.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom