• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Project Christine - An Idiot Proof Modular PC

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
So, this is a weird one... but pretty cool too.

razer-christine-gallery-02.jpg

Project Christine is basically a very cool-looking rack into which gamers can slot any combination of modules including GPU, CPU, memory, and more, which will automatically sync. These modules have built-in liquid cooling and noise cancellation and require no cables. The modules could potentially be sold by Razer or third parties, but the company hasn't planned that far. The computer can also run multiple operating systems.

If gamers respond well, Razer will start working on bringing Project Christine to market. Min-Liang has no idea when that might be. But based on Razer's past, we could be looking at a product release before too long.

The Verge, via NeoGAF

So, it's a PC you practically build and upgrade yourself and requires absolutely no technical know-how at all. Changing any hardware isn't hard to anyone who is even slightly tech savvy but can feel like a daunting task to those who aren't.

I think this is a really neat, innovative idea. I struggle to think this will have much market impact, no doubt like most Razer products it'll price itself out of many homes to begin with, but imagine a console with this kind of technology, where you could slot in more powerful parts and more. A problem with consoles is the fact they stay the same for the entire generation, something a device like this wouldn't have issues with. The concept is amazingly fun and very cool, and something many people have asked for, but I guess we'll see if this would be a success.

I mean, I'd personally argue that the concept and idea of this is more exciting than the actual product!

What do you think?

Clank

Hmm
I think this is a really neat, innovative idea. I struggle to think this will have much market impact, no doubt like most Razer products it'll price itself out of many homes to begin with, but imagine a console with this kind of technology, where you could slot in more powerful parts and more. A problem with consoles is the fact they stay the same for the entire generation, something a device like this wouldn't have issues with. The concept is amazingly fun and very cool, and something many people have asked for, but I guess we'll see if this would be a success.

You say problem, I say feature.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I think that because of the price, the majority of people who are likely to spend that much on a PC are the very people that are comfortable with building their own rigs and can get more for their money with a barebones kit.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Will it make PC gaming more popular or something?

I think they're only doing it as a sort of 'Because we can' moment, more to show-off the technology and capabilities than actually release a best-selling product. It's showing that we could have PCs one day where switching out hardware is a simple, less than a minute process with little to no effort. Years and years down the line, this sort of technology could be in laptops and consoles, perhaps even phones and other handhelds, and even every PC to make swapping parts simple and easy for everybody. Or it might not be! Who knows. But it's still a pretty neat idea and shows how far we've come.

Salem

SICK
I think they're only doing it as a sort of 'Because we can' moment, more to show-off the technology and capabilities than actually release a best-selling product. It's showing that we could have PCs one day where switching out hardware is a simple, less than a minute process with little to no effort. Years and years down the line, this sort of technology could be in laptops and consoles, perhaps even phones and other handhelds, and even every PC to make swapping parts simple and easy for everybody. Or it might not be! Who knows. But it's still a pretty neat idea and shows how far we've come.
Do want. <3

Isaac

Doesn't have internet
Cool, though I can see it getting really expensive. I disagree on one thing. Several consoles have added upgradable hardware. Most were complete and utter failures. Like the 64DD. Or the Xbox 360 blu-ray add on. Or maybe the Sega Cd.... Okay, Disc drive add-ons are failures... Okay, maybe but... Fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom