• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Progressive Rock/ Metal

Hanyou

didn't build that
One of the more underrated genres of music is progressive rock. With its complex musicianship, often long suites, cryptic lyrics, lengthy instrumental sections, and (in many cases) long-winded concept albums, prog proves inaccessible to many, but dedicated listeners are rewarded with rich soundscapes and experiences. This thread is about that sort of music, whether it's rock or metal.

Post about your favorite progressive rock and metal bands here, examples of good prog rock and metal songs, or just talk about the genre(s) in general. Love it? Hate it? What bands do you love and hate? Anything prog goes.

For the uninitiated: it is literally impossible to "sum up" what prog is about, since by its nature it is experimental and...well...progressive. One of the quintessential classic prog bands, however, is King Crimson, and one of their most identifiable and accessible (though by no means their most progressive) songs follows:

This song is from 1969, when prog was in its infancy. The album on which it was featured would help shape the rock industry for the next decade and onward, ushering in an era of rampant "art rock" unlike most music listeners had heard. I would also suggest listening to "Dancing with the Moonlight Knight" by Gabriel-era Genesis, "Apercu" by Kansas, and "And You and I" by Yes for other early examples of prog.

For the uninitiated, both of these wikipedia articles do a good job of explaining the genres. Progressive rock: [link]; Progressive metal: [link]

Alternatively, this humorous Cracked article does an even better job: [link]

Famous examples of Progressive Rock bands are Emerson, Lake & Palmer; Pink Floyd; The Moody Blues; Jethro Tull; King Crimson; Rush; Genesis; Marillion; and Kansas. Famous examples of Progressive Metal bands are Dream Theater; Tool; and Pain of Salvation.

Discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favourite Prog Metal band would be Dream Theater. I didn't like Black Clouds and Silver Linings, but I love A Dramatic Turn of Events. Great album, Mangini fit really well with the band.

As for Prog Rock, I love Pink Floyd, especially Wish You Were Here. That album is difinatly in my top five.
I also really like the Mars Volta, although I only listened to their first album and a couple other songs.
The Prog genre is difinatly one of my favourite metal/rock genres, without a doubt.

I like Pink Floyd and a bit of King Crimson, but other than that I'll leave it well alone.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I've been into Rush and Yes recently, probably because of changes in time signature, key, and tempo which keep their songs interesting. I am especially fond of several Rush songs, such as "Tom Sawyer," "Limelight," and "Spirit of the Radio." A couple Yes songs I like are "Roundabout" and "Owner of a Lonely Heart."

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I found out about After The Burial and Periphery (both could be sub-catagorized as Prog-Metalcore) about a year ago.They're pretty good. Check out Animals As Leaders for good Progresive Math-Rock

My brother really likes prog, so he has showed me some of it, prog rock is kinda cool, but I don't like prog-metal all that much, it's a little boring IMO, I also have to learn Something for Nothing by Rush for my band, so wish me luck :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom