• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Professional" Aka "Competitive" Gaming a Waste of Time?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
The definition of being a professional anything is that you make money doing said activity.

That's how professional is defined, but not how it's used. When you see people talking about professional gaming, they'll list many penniless speed runners, but if you asserted the Game Grumps were professional, they'd laugh in your face. And even here the thread is titled "Professional" Aka "Competitive" Gaming a Waste of Time? when those two words are far apart from each other when it comes to their actual definition.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
That's how professional is defined, but not how it's used. When you see people talking about professional gaming, they'll list many penniless speed runners, but if you asserted the Game Grumps were professional, they'd laugh in your face. And even here the thread is titled "Professional" Aka "Competitive" Gaming a Waste of Time? when those two words are far apart from each other when it comes to their actual definition.

I wouldn't call them professional gamers, but I'd call them professional entertainers. Because that's what they do, they don't really get paid money for the games they actually play, they get paid because they entertain in the process. That goes the same for every Youtube gaming channel, would PewDiePie be as big as he is if he just played the games with no commentary, no webcam, no anything? Of course not. Professional gamers, on the other hand, are paid purely for playing the game, we don't get any kind of commentaries by them during it, they just play, win, or lose.

And you're missing out that many pro players are hired by companies. Companies like Fnatic give their players salaries across all their games, they are paid professionals in every definition of the word.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I wouldn't call them professional gamers, but I'd call them professional entertainers. Because that's what they do, they don't really get paid money for the games they actually play, they get paid because they entertain in the process. That goes the same for every Youtube gaming channel, would PewDiePie be as big as he is if he just played the games with no commentary, no webcam, no anything? Of course not. Professional gamers, on the other hand, are paid purely for playing the game, we don't get any kind of commentaries by them during it, they just play, win, or lose.

And you're missing out that many pro players are hired by companies. Companies like Fnatic give their players salaries across all their games, they are paid professionals in every definition of the word.

Was going to post but then this completely stole the words from my mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom