• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Princess Zelda is your...

In "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past" your uncle leaves to rescue princess Zelda. You meet him in the castle sewer badly injured when he gives you the sword and shield. Something interesting though, is that he says "princess Zelda is your..." and then faints. The game never finishes the sentence so I'm wondering what relation Link has with Zelda. Is it sister? Destiny? Cousin? I honestly have no clue. I have no idea how to theorize so I'm gonna leave this one to you guys.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
From the Zelda wiki
"In the original SNES version, Link's Uncle begins to say, "Zelda is your..." then trails off and dies.[9] This caused some fans to speculate that the full sentence would have read "Zelda is your sister", possibly in relation to the film Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (less popular sentence endings included "ally" and "only hope").[citation needed] The original Japanese version of the game contains a different line – お、お前は、姫の… …。 (y- you are the Princess's... ...). In the Game Boy Advance version, Link's Uncle's last words were changed.(Link... I shall always remember... our time... together...) However, the direct translation of the aforementioned line is spoken by Blind the Thief when it impersonates Link's Uncle in the Palace of the Four Sword."

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Original English Translation: "Princess Zelda is your [TOP PRIORITY/ONLY CONCERN/RESPONSIBILITY]."

Original Japanese: "You are the Princess's [ONLY/LAST HOPE]."

Speculation on Link and Zelda's status as brother/sister, cousins or distant relations is long standing and largely unsubstantiated. It gained some credibility as the series went on and we kept seeing different Zeldas and different Links in different games that obviously weren't taking place at the same time or place as other games, lending credence to the theory that the two share a common bloodline and all but outright confirmed with Skaznitch Skurd. For ALttP to allude to this and then say nothing about it later is either an oversight/happy accident/nintendo intentionally screwing with us.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
I think the whole time it intended to be destiny in the english version and only hope in the japanese version. But in last decade and the decade before that, a lot people misunderstood that line as implying that Link and Zelda were brother and sister. Which is why it was changed in the GBA version as a message to fans, telling them to shut up about sibling family relationship between Link and Zelda.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Haven't I heard Zelda referred to as the "Princess of Destiny"? I think it may have been in a guide book tho~

karu

Panamaniac
Zelda is your burden, OK Link? You have to deal with her constant nagging, her inability to save her herself much less her kingdom though she has the triforce of wisdom AND she can freaking turn into Sheik. I mean come on!!! Is she really that vulnerable?! I understand OoT and some other games but really, I think she just like working link down to the bone.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
Zelda is your burden, OK Link? You have to deal with her constant nagging, her inability to save her herself much less her kingdom though she has the triforce of wisdom AND she can freaking turn into Sheik. I mean come on!!! Is she really that vulnerable?! I understand OoT and some other games but really, I think she just like working link down to the bone.

Then you'd probably hate Hilda even more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom