• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Premonition Theory - Creation of the Third Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kombatgod

Timeline Exegete
Many minds blew while seeing there is an extra split in the official timeline. Mine didn't, because I always considered the OoT-AlttP connection stronger than the OoT-WW (if OoT is the Sealing War, than it's directly before ALttP, while we know for sure that between OoT and WW at least another battle with Ganon happened), so to me AlttP could have been:
1-between OoT and WW, in the Adult Timeline (with some retcons and adjustments of course)
2-parallel to WW, in a third timeline.
The second one turned out to be right.
I started a thread explaining this third timeline back in february 2011, called The What If Theory: a Double Split in the Timeline! but at the time I only talked about a "what If", with no actual in-universe split. This may still be right, but many people talk about how could there be an in-universe split, and I have my theory.

First of all:
I hear many people saying the split occured when Link was sealed. I don't know if it's said in the book, but to me yeah, it happened there, but not like many people think, that created a Hyrule with no Hero of Time, no, you don't split the timeline by going forward in time, it would make no sense to have a timeline where Link is sealed, but not freed 7 years later! What happened is the exact opposite: apart from the Adult Timeline we all know there's another timeline where LINK WAS NOT SEALED!
Here's what happened:
Link took the Master Sword and opened the Sacred Realm letting Ganon take the Triforce. Rauru saw this and, worried, used his powers to see into the future. He had a terrible vision: Yong Link used the Master Sword to fight Ganondorf... And failed. That's because he's the one with the most courage, but Ganon is too powerful for such a young boy. This allows Ganondorf to take the Triforce of Courage from him, and after that, it would take very little to also get the ToW from Zelda. A horrible war would follow: the Sealing War, eventually leading up to ALttP. I don't know how far Rauru looked, but this is the Failure Timeline! So he decided to change the future: he sealed Link in the Temple of Light for seven years, until he was old enough to fight him, and also to hide the ToC from Ganondorf. This new timeline he created is what we know as the Adult Timeline!

So here's a possible reason for the extra split. I believe it to be 100% fair, but would Nintendo think of something like this? Whadd'ya think?

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of the third split, but well...

There is a big mistake in your timeline. With Young Link killed, there is noone to awake the sages, so the sealing war couldn't happpen as discribed in ALttP

Kombatgod

Timeline Exegete
There is a big mistake in your timeline. With Young Link killed, there is noone to awake the sages, so the sealing war couldn't happpen as discribed in ALttP

Some say they weren't the same sages, but I agree with you they are, because their names are in AoL.

So how were they awaken? Who knows? But they can. Maybe it just took a very longer time, maybe the Hylian Knights did it. At the end Good prevailed over evil in all timelines! The Hero of Time wasn't really needed to defeat Ganon, he was probably just needed to defeat Ganon early enough.

If Link actually is 'defeated' by Ganon instead of (say) a lack of involvement, your theory sits the best with me so far. Well done. I do hope that when the actual events are clarified, the true occurance is close to this, rather than something more disagreable like 'Link being defeated in the end game battle'. Those forms of 'defeats' just seem poorly concieved, and would appear to be the lazy implementations of Nintendo to tidy their room.

Kombatgod

Timeline Exegete
If Link actually is 'defeated' by Ganon instead of (say) a lack of involvement, your theory sits the best with me so far. Well done. I do hope that when the actual events are clarified, the true occurance is close to this, rather than something more disagreable like 'Link being defeated in the end game battle'. Those forms of 'defeats' just seem poorly concieved, and would appear to be the lazy implementations of Nintendo to tidy their room.

Hey, thank you. Yeah, I would be disappointed if they blandly say "In this timeline Link is defeated at some random point in the game." like ALttP is simply a sequel to OoT's "game over" screen.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
Well after Link dies in ALttP, the downfall timeline occurs.

Ehhhhh, no, ALttP doesn't create splits, sorry

Onto the topic, I say that the DT happens whenever Link replaces the Master Sword

Also remember ALttP came very early (third Zelda game), and OoT was meant to be a direct prequel, but then they made MM , then they made OoX as sequels to ALttP and then TWW, which continued from OoT, at this point the split was official, they had three games that continued from ALttP and only two splits, so they decided to put the original games in a what-if timeline

When I have time to spare I will make a thread describing this in more detail

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
The Child and Adult branches are well established, so here is my explanation for the last branch: After beating Ganon in the Adult branch, Link is sent back to the Child timeline to warn Zelda. However, the branch where Link pulls out the Master Sword has no Link return to it since Link arrived back before that happened, enabling Ganondorf to run wild. End result-- No Link, he fails, thusly "Failed Timeline"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom