• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Prefer developed or underdeveloped back story in RPGs?

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
So when it comes to RPGs (or any other 'make your character/play the way you want' type game), and you create/have your main character, do you prefer a main character with a developed back story, either chosen by you (Such as Mass Effect 1, Dragon Age: Origins) where the game's NPCs react to you in a certain way depending on what back story you chose?
Or do you prefer playing a character with a un/underdeveloped back story so you can put your own take on your own story, regardless of how the NPCs in the game react to you (Elder Scrolls and Fallout games).

On one hand, you have greater immersion choosing a preset character history and having the world interact with you accordingly, but if you go against the grain/against your character's motivations, it can seem weird, especially if you want to go against the grain and you end up feeling shoehorned into playing 1 of X-amount of default "personalities".
On the other hand, the world doesn't react to your backstory at all. They react the same to you even if you're an elvish mage or a human noble. But this way, it gives you more freedom to act as you believe you character should (thief with a heart of gold, or total jerk) and not worry about how it fits into the game's predetermined backgrounds.

I'm a bit torn. I like both styles, but I feel greater immersion with a developed back story within the game. In Dragon Age: Origins, if you were a Dalish Elf, you felt it through out the game. You felt as if you character was treated like a second-class citizen, or an outcast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom