• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
How do you guys feel about pre-ordering games? I know it's become common practice in the video game scene, with publishers proudly touting that games are now available to pre-order (even when they're sometimes years away from release), but I've never been a fan of it. I don't like the idea of paying people $60 in advance for a game that won't see reviews until the scant weeks until it actually comes out.

That being said, I often feel like the minority. If you do pre-order, how often do you do so and why?

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I dont preorder cuz half the time i dont keep an eye on games i only know ss in july cuz of this site..

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
It really depends on what I know about the game and my prior experience with the company. That's why I had no issues pre-ordering a game like Monster Hunter Rise, as a recent example. I knew that I was hooked on the gameplay based on the demo and my time with Generations Ultimate. I wouldn't do that for every game though, even if it does have a demo.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I don't like to preorder games cause that usually means paying full price, but I'll make exceptions sometimes. For example, biomutant offered a free character class as dlc if you preordered it, so I dropped the extra $10
Still dont know if it was worth it haha

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I don't preorder games, no. I do have a lot of NASCAR diecast preordered, because you don't pay for those until they're shipping the car to you, so it's a much more fair system imo.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I used to only preorder Zelda, Pokemon and any game that had those 2 references in them (How I justify Animal Crossing). But its nothing to do with the game industry but retail, I have lost trust in Gamestop which is where I preordered from. I heard that if a store starts to close they might not be willing to give a refund on a preorder with out a major headache.

MW7

I only pre-order if I absolutely know that I want a game and will play it as soon as it releases. Also I usually pre-order only a few weeks ahead unless there are expected supply issues. In practice I can't think of any games in the last 10 years that I've preordered besides Zelda games.

accio boomerang

you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
I have preordered a few times, I tend to buy digital and I like being able to wake up the next day or come home from work and have my game ready to play without having to go to the store (especially in the last year.) I also only preorder games that I know that I really want, if I am not sure about the game I wait to see reviews or see if there is a demo I can play.

I preorder a bit more often than I used to, but it's still not a super common practice for me. It's very situational. I mostly do it if its a game I really, really care about, and either already know I love, or a game I know I am going to love. Especially if it's like a physical release of an indie through a distributor where I'll only be able to get it by ordering, so I get the order out of the way early so I'm able to get my blessed physical copy.

I do get a handful of games on release day if they interest me enough, but I don't usually worry about not being able to snag a copy to the point I feel justified in placing an order in advance. There are some exceptions to this, but I usually make that order closer to release if I get worried that the store may not stock them.

CreeperMaster343

Spirit Tracks Zelda best companion, LinkxNavi FTW
I have only rarely ever preordered games, off the top of my head, i think the ones that i have are Legacy of the void, Age of calamity, and now SSHD. Ultimately i have had very good experience with what i have pre ordered, i have immensely enjoyed both LotV and AoC, and i am almost certain i will enjoy SSHD a lot.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I will typically preorder a game if it has an edition that I anticipate might sell out (Like the massive Darksiders Genesis box that came with a statue collectible among other things), or if I know it’s a game I’ll really want to play and don’t really have the time in between work and home stuff to get myself to the store and pick it up.

Quin

Disaster Master
I have no problem with the practice. If you preorder a game and you get burned, that's your own fault.
This. I do have a problem with ingame pre-order bonuses though, especially if the content isn't available in another manner

Personally I try not to pre-order. But unfortunatly, there is sometimes something I really want which I know is gonna sell out quick, and I have no other choice, like certain special editions or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom