• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Praying to a stupid statue?

I am a Christian and have played previous Zelda games (however it has been a long time) and I know this game is fiction but why do I need to pray to a statue in order to get containers, or can I buy these containers without having to pray to a piece of rock?

Thank you!

I hate it too. The goddess statues are terrible why did they have to return? The goddess is scary too so there's also that. at least she doesnt have to sing to you again It's probably Nintendo trying to integrate their half-effort Skyward Sword lore. As far as I know, the goddess statues are the only way you can redeem spirit orbs for heart containers and stamina vessels (there's one in each village afaik), but you also get heart containers from beating the bosses of the divine beasts. Aside from that, I believe all containers do need to be redeemed via the statues.

If it's the concept of Link "praying" to her that bothers you, it's kind of handled the same way as him "praying" to the save statues in Skyward Sword. To us, it's just dialogue menus so no big deal. After awhile you sort of get used to it and learn to tolerate it but it's still kind of out of the way to stop what you're doing to go trade them in at a village or the temple of time or wherever.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Personally I might advise you to get over it. But if that's not going to happen you can always stop playing. Or you could affirm your faith by limiting your health and stamina I suppose since afaik those powerups are optional. /shrug/

I find it rather ironic that ninty would go to such ridiculous efforts to censor religion from their products and end up conjuring up some half baked fictitious pseudo-religion in their fantasy game and still make it awkward for some people.

I agree that this whole goddess hylia thing is dumb and anything derived from suckward swords lore is in dire need of a zealous purging.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
People really this sensitive now? Such a frail society we live in today. Also, a piece of rock and a mass produced cross, what's the difference? You said it yourself, it's fiction, a fantasy. Why does it bother you? Is God gonna smite you because a fake character in a video game that you're controlling is praying to an even faker god? Is your God really that dense?

I'm not Christian, but I know what you mean OP.

When I first saw it I thought it was a little disrespectful to faith.

I think the use of the word 'pray' is the issue. Usually in games it's 'make an offering' or similar. Which is more objective and removed to my mind.

Praying, I would imagine, is a very personal thing.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I don't see why Link wouldn't pray to Hylia, with her being a Goddess and people tending to pray to those. It is worth noting that in the world of Zelda, Goddess Hylia and the Golden Goddesses aren't just works of fiction like Yahweh and Ganesh are in ours. Their existence is proven and praying actually does have a genuine effect.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I am a Christian and have played previous Zelda games (however it has been a long time) and I know this game is fiction but why do I need to pray to a statue in order to get containers, or can I buy these containers without having to pray to a piece of rock?

Thank you!

1lf0rp.jpg

I think you should get over it. This thread is silly and you should feel bad for creating it.

Last edited:

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
While Im not religious, I have a feeling that your God will not get mad at you for playing a game where a character prays. Its not you as a person truly believing, following, or claiming to believe or follow, another deity. I do believe many posts in this thread are a little overly agressive towards you, I agree with the general consensus that its not something you should really be qorrying ahout. Its akin to watching a television show where an Islamic character praises Allah.
If youre really that worried about it, then just do a 3-heart challenge. Cant be easy but I wish you luck in such an emdeavor if you choose to do so

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
There is no problem at all. Almost every religion prays to some degree to some god or other. It only makes sense that this fictional religion in this fictional world also would pray. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise.
I think this is the best answer to this

MW7

I, on the other hand, am a vegetarian who is having a ball murdering thousands of fictional animals to make it rain with rupees. If you take a step back, everything in the game is imaginary and just pixels on a screen. You aren't praying to a statue. Pixels on a screen come together to portray a fictional character praying to a statue. That's just how I view it, and I'm very religious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom