• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Praise for Skyward Sword

I think these guys got it right. You should read what what they think, it has some pretty heartwarming stuff in it

http://www.gamexplain.com/article-210-1277772613-e3-2010-our-favorite-games.html

Schuyler

You can imagine my apprehension when I was playing Zelda: Skyward Sword with all weapons mapped to motion controls. We got to go behind the scenes and play it, and I wasn’t too excited about putting my hands on. Technically, yes, I’m pretty impressed with it, but it just wasn’t my thing. I tried slicing one of the Deku Babas in two, and it was difficult to imagine where the Wii thought my arm was so I could get it to register my slash at the right angle (I’m 6’5”, you see, so I’m used to things not fitting). I got the vetical slash movement down at what looked like the correct angle to me, but my sword merely bounced off as if I had missed entirely. Groan. Again, and again, and again. My fears of playing this game all the way through were mounting. I know what I want to do, but the process is obfuscated by these controls, like MGS: Peace Walker.

I was about to move on when the exhibitor took a hard look at what I was doing. “Turn your wrist,” he said. “You’re hitting it with the flat side of the sword.” I did as I was instructed, and slice! Like Arnold with his skin ripped off, I was suddenly a cold blooded Deku Baba Terminator. It felt like a real sword, and when I would swing it as such, I felt like I was really using one, like the screen manifested what you thought of when you played pretend when you were young. I rained fear down on that forest like so many leaves during the fall. I slit the throats of Moblins and watched them explode. It was a rough minute and a half to be an enemy in the Lost Woods, friends.

This game is my game of the show, and it’s getting 14 stars when it comes out.

Micah

Unlike Schuyler (and probably a good deal of other gamers out there), I am pretty into the whole motion control idea. Ever since the Wii was first announced, I have relished the idea of slicing my enemies apart with 1:1 precision. Imagine my surprise when year after year went by and we weren't getting any closer to this fully realized sword-fighting game I had been expecting. Red Steel 2 was huge step in the right direction, and became a fun, involved shooter with the perfect blend of motion-control-based accuracy and digital precision, but it still left something to be desired in the actual sword combat. After playing The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword at E3 this year, I'm fairly confident that Wii gamers will finally be getting that epic, robust, motion controlled adventure that they've always wanted.

I'm proud to say that I was one of the first members of the gaming community at large to get my hands on Skyward Sword. As the demo kiosks rose from the floor at Nintendo's press conference, I leapt over several rows of chairs in LA's Nokia Theater just to make sure that I got to hold the Master Sword in my hand for the first time. After breezing through the demo in what seemed like the bat of an eye, my only wish was that I could just go through it all again. o.o

Right now, I am anticipating a whole lot of out of Skyward Sword. It is really the first expansive, traditional game to be constructed entirely around motion controls, so there is naturally a lot riding on its success. This game must finally prove to gamers everywhere that motion controls aren't synonymous with decreased accuracy and random flailing. Motion controls can bring with them a huge subtlety to game controls that is currently not being exploited. Hopefully, this game can live up to the incredible promise of the E3 demo. There needs to be a lot more changes to the Zelda formula in the end if I'm going to love this game as much as I want to. Still, making players actually think about and time the angle and speed of every swing is a great step in the right direction.

Seeing motion controls utilized so elegantly to facilitate massive changes to a traditional game experience was no doubt the highlight of the show for me. As much as Move and Kinect impressed in different ways, neither Sony nor Microsoft had a game that looked to make as advanced use of motion controls as Skyward Sword. This is the sort of game experience that I have been waiting to see since the Revolution was first announced five years ago. Yes, it took awhile, but as of now I'm pretty confident that it will have been worth it.

Eskhandar

or khan he?
Yeah it's encouraging reading stuff like this. Makes me even more impatient for my dosage of Skyward Sword!

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I think the new official artwork of Link is praiseworthy, it just goes to show you how far they have gone with their art styles and I hope the final version of the game reflects that artwork more. Future games will feature quality art and I'm sure lots of other main characters in Skyward Sword will get their own rad artwork when the game is released (maybe in the manual or on the back of the game box). Also I'd like to mention that the bokoblins are praiseworthy, I think this will be a common enemy in the game, but it is still a challenging one. Big thumbs up for SS.

MOTLEYlink

...No your other left
Okay, I was really excited for SS before and this is just making me more excited. Now it's going feel like forever until this game is realeased.

I was about to move on when the exhibitor took a hard look at what I was doing. “Turn your wrist,” he said. “You’re hitting it with the flat side of the sword.” I did as I was instructed, and slice!

I don't know about you guys but this part made me happy, looks like Ninty really focused on detailed 1:1 sword controlls like they said they where. I knew that if they where to get it right they would on a Wii exclusive Zelda game, Zelda always has to be nearly perfect. The reason I take so much pride in Zelda games and Nintendo is because Nintendo really takes care of their main series (Zelda, Mario, etc.) . Sorry fanboy moment. :)

Beeker

Wild Card
Sorry fanboy moment. :)

There's nothing wrong with Fanboy/girl moments, I have them all the time.:) The moment I saw the stuff at E3, I was excited, after reading poeple's thoughts on it,I got more excited, and I think I'll probably get even more excited slowly each and every day.

Reading these comments about the controls makes me really confident that the the controls and the game overall will be epic. They did say they wanted to make this game perfect, did they not? Who knows, this has the potential to be pretty close to that(if not, of course;)).

Here's to waiting for 2011. :)

MOTLEYlink

...No your other left
Yeah if you think about it waiting another couple of months dosent hurt a bit, it just gives them time to make final adjustments and make sure they get it right.

Linebeck1000

Legendary Captain
I don't know about you guys but this part made me happy, looks like Ninty really focused on detailed 1:1 sword controlls like they said they where.

Yeah I have to admit, I was very surprised when I read that part too. I never imagined the sword would follow your movements that closely. I didn't think Nintendo would pay any attention to whether you hit the enemy with the blade or the flat part of the sword. It looks like Nintendo really went all out to make the swordplay as realistic as possible. I have to say, I'm impressed.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
You can imagine my apprehension when I was playing Zelda: Skyward Sword with all weapons mapped to motion controls. We got to go behind the scenes and play it, and I wasn’t too excited about putting my hands on. Technically, yes, I’m pretty impressed with it, but it just wasn’t my thing. I tried slicing one of the Deku Babas in two, and it was difficult to imagine where the Wii thought my arm was so I could get it to register my slash at the right angle (I’m 6’5”, you see, so I’m used to things not fitting). I got the vetical slash movement down at what looked like the correct angle to me, but my sword merely bounced off as if I had missed entirely. Groan. Again, and again, and again. My fears of playing this game all the way through were mounting. I know what I want to do, but the process is obfuscated by these controls, like MGS: Peace Walker.

I was about to move on when the exhibitor took a hard look at what I was doing. “Turn your wrist,” he said. “You’re hitting it with the flat side of the sword.” I did as I was instructed, and slice! Like Arnold with his skin ripped off, I was suddenly a cold blooded Deku Baba Terminator. It felt like a real sword, and when I would swing it as such, I felt like I was really using one, like the screen manifested what you thought of when you played pretend when you were young. I rained fear down on that forest like so many leaves during the fall. I slit the throats of Moblins and watched them explode. It was a rough minute and a half to be an enemy in the Lost Woods, friends.

This game is my game of the show, and it’s getting 14 stars when it comes out.

This makes me incredibly excited. It's incredible that Schuyler was actually converted from being a "buttons and control stick" gamer to being all for the motion controls. Maybe I'm misintrepretting the stuff after he sliced the Deku Baba in half and he's still not exactly converted, it's still impressive that what he said wasn't his thing not only gets almost three times as many stars as possible, but also being his game of the entire show for E3 is very impressive.

Not to mention, I'm actually glad you use just like a real sword. Like, you don't just swing down to do a virtical slice, you also twist your arm so that you don't hit your foe with the flat side of your sword.

That combined with how awesome the gameplay will be (I'm all for the motion controls), how the sword combat will be just like AoL in 3D (AoL's intense focus on the swordplay was one of the best things about the game and having another with huge focus on how you do the swordplay is amazing), how it's probably going to be hard, more "dense" like MM or WW (I think I heard Aonuma say it would be more dense in terms of what you could do in terms of sidequests like WW or MM, either him or Aonuma), and how classic things (sword beam, Land Octos, stuff like that) on top of how awesome the formula will be (I have faith that Nintendo will create an awesome new Zelda Formula) makes me feel as though SS is going to be by far my absolute favorite of all the series.

shan-tastic

nine thousand and one.
I have a really good feeling that this may be the best game in the series. First of all, the art and graphics are beautiful, and will allow for a lot of variety for monsters, NPCs and locations.
The mechanics sound absolutely incredible and I cannot wait to actually fight against enemies instead of punching buttons, and it's also making me extremely curious to see what other monsters are going to be in this game. I'm hoping for some dueling action, personally, and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't throw in a few darknut or iron knuckle type monsters to fight against.

I'm also completely for a shorter-but-denser game. TP's overworld was gorgeous, but it was incredibly empty. There were many dungeons, but you basically forgot all about them once you completed it. And the lack of sidequests was extremely disappointing. I'm hoping for something like a combination of MM and Wind Waker, where you have a lot of freedom to do and go wherever but everything ties together very nicely and every thing you do is relevant to the plot in one way or another.

Gah, this just made me so excited. Revival of classic elements, awesome controls, so far interesting story...I couldn't ask for more. :]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom