• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Power Metal

Hanyou

didn't build that
What is power metal?

It's fast, bombastic, loud, probably a bit cheesy, and technically spectacular. Sometimes it's gothic. Sometimes it's neoclassical. Sometimes it's fully orchestrated. Regardless, it's always spectacular.

For those who are familiar with the genre, what are your opinions? Love it? Can't stand it? What are your favorite/least favorite bands? Talk about it here.

--------------------

For the uninitiated, here's a bit of a primer.
First listen to this song by one of the early power metal prototype bands, Helloween:

Then read about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_metal

Then, if you still have time, check out some self-deprecating humor: http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/fun_comments.php?fun_id=6

While I'll post my own opinions later*, here are some recommended, universally-acclaimed Power Metal bands: Helloween, Blind Guardian, Manowar, Sonata Arctica, Symphony X, Rhapsody of Fire, Kamelot, Nightwish, Galneryus, Edguy

Keep in mind that while these bands are power metal, they were also heavily influenced by other heavy metal bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Saxon, etc.--listen to those and you might get an idea about what to expect from the genre.

Discuss.

*Hint: ALL the listed bands are personal favorites, but there are a few more. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
Well. I'll say that I love what you showed us there.
It's got a sort of theatrical feel that is missing from a lot of music and, for me, it saves it from being too boring. (not all of it just some songs which kind of drone on with a repetitive riff/beat)
What I really like is the vocals. Especially doing something so simple as adding the one line of harmonies on the second time through a verse. Of course the vocals are powerful which is a huge plus for me.

I can't say that this is my favorite type of music, but I really do enjoy hearing it. And the guitar solos sound pretty standard for metal and are epic as always!:nod:

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Power Metal is one of my favorite genres today.

Some of my favorite bands include Nightwish and Magica, who are classified as power metal. Although a lot of the other bands I like are considered Symphonic and Gothic.

I also like one or two Heavy Metal songs by Iron Maiden, though it's far from being my favorite kind of music.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
The only real Power Metal band I like is Dragonforce, and even then only a few songs.
I personally am more of a fan for Metalcore.

With Power Metal, I feel that the vocals are too soft and underexaggerated in comparison to the level of noise coming from the instruments in the background. It's not necassarily a bad thing, it just isn't my style.

With Metalcore, the vocalists shout and scream more at the prime moments of the song, just when you get that huge kick of adrenaline. It's just so beautiful.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
After you showed me that song. I <3 Power metal!
I agree with you that it's " Sometimes it's gothic. Sometimes it's neoclassical. Sometimes it's fully orchestrated." But it's excellent!
My Favorite is Iron Maiden

I never knew that Iron Maiden was Power Metal?
I thought they were just the archaic version of Heavy Metal.
In which case, Power Metal has gone up a bit in my books.

Hanyou

didn't build that
@ TheGreen: Glad you liked it. ^^ You may like other stuff more or less--Helloween's Keeper albums were early examples of metal, but there has been variety in the genre since then. A lot of bands, like Avantasia, might have just what you're looking for.

@athenian: That's good stuff. I'm not much into the gothic side, but there is crossover. Nightwish and Kamelot, both power metal, are about as close as I've gotten to listening to gothic metal.

The only real Power Metal band I like is Dragonforce, and even then only a few songs.
I personally am more of a fan for Metalcore.

With Power Metal, I feel that the vocals are too soft and underexaggerated in comparison to the level of noise coming from the instruments in the background. It's not necassarily a bad thing, it just isn't my style.

That's funny, because I don't like Dragonforce much myself, and I'm also not a fan of metalcore. Admittedly, I don't have much experience with the genre. That said, my favorite metal vocalists, like Dickinson (Maiden), Kiske (Helloween), Turunen (Nightwish), and Khan (Kamelot), tend to have operatic styles.

FierceDiety said:
In terms of Metal, I'm more into older Metal, Thrash Metal (Mainly Megadeth), and progressive. But I can't say Power Metal is bad at all, I'm getting quite fond of high vocals (I blame Dream Theater) and the instrumental isn't bad at all. I guess all I can say is that Power Metal isn't exactly my style.

You have good taste in music. :3 Dream Theater's one of my favorite bands, I love prog rock/metal, and older metal bands like Blue Oyster Cult, Black Sabbath, etc are great. Also, prog and power metal are similar in some ways, and there are some bands that dabble in both. Symphony X is a prime example, and stylistically they're compared to Dream Theater quite a lot. The following song is by no means definitive, but it gives you an example of what they write. Check out longer songs to get an idea of the scope and diversity of their music.

After you showed me that song. I <3 Power metal!
I agree with you that it's " Sometimes it's gothic. Sometimes it's neoclassical. Sometimes it's fully orchestrated." But it's excellent!
My Favorite is Iron Maiden

Glad you enjoyed it! Iron Maiden actually isn't considered Power Metal, but they're essential to it and one of the strongest influences on it. The lyrical content, some of the musical style (gallopping riffs, etc.), energy, and vocal style all heavily influenced Power Metal. There's a good chance that if someone likes Iron Maiden, they'll like some Power Metal and vice-versa.

@yann: I wouldn't call Iron Maiden archaic by any stretch of the imagination. Deep Purple might arguably fit that description, but not the post-Sabbath, post-Judas Priest Maiden. XP

Last edited by a moderator:

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
@yann: I wouldn't call Iron Maiden archaic by any stretch of the imagination. Deep Purple might arguably fit that description, but not the post-Sabbath, post-Judas Priest Maiden. XP

This is very true. Although, at my age I would consider IM archaic purely because they pre-date Slipknot. My music taste in rock/metal doesn't really go much further back before mid 90's, even though IM are still producing music now they just feel like more of an 80's band. I prefer more modern acts such as Bullet For My Valentine, It Dies Today and Lamb Of God.

I never knew that Iron Maiden was Power Metal?
I thought they were just the archaic version of Heavy Metal.
In which case, Power Metal has gone up a bit in my books.

As far as I'm aware, they aren't, I believe Heavy Metal, and one of the best damn Metal bands on the planet, and one of the best bands I've ever listened to.

Well, I think Hanyou will know what I believe about all forms of Metal, as he was the man that introduced me to it, and I thank him for that. At one stage, I couldn't get enough of listening to Power Metal because I loved the intensity of the instruments, and the pure speed compared to your normal music. However, since then I've relaxed a bit on the genre, and it's become part of my regular library. Although, even though I've said that, I've found some Blind Guardian songs to be more than amazing, such as Imaginations on the Other Side and Mirror Mirror, I just love the style, especially the vocal style. I don't know what it is, but I find the way that vocals are performed to be rather unique, and quite impressive.

T

ThatzNOTmetaL

I'm a massive metal fan as you can gather by my username but power metal has always been a genre I sort of ignored not cos I don't like it just cos I'm more into brutal/ slam death metal bands like Amputated, Kraanium, Waking The Cadaver, Devourment and so on but recently I've got a fair bit more into power metal I've been listening to Rhapsody, Hammerfall and Power Quest a lot, if anyone here is looking to get more into power metal but has only heard Dragonforce then I highly reccomend Power Quest they feature a lot of Ex Dragonforce members and are similar in style but a lot better and more epic

S

Spartan

Metal is by far my favorite genre of music. I think power metal embodies the diversity of metal: from fast, high and heavy to epic, dark, and thrilling.
I find it quite amazing. Blind Guardian and Savatage are my favorite examples by far, making some of my favorite tunes to rock out to. Helloween's pretty awesome, too.
Props to you Tim, actually, for introducing this to me a while back.
\m/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom