• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Potions or Fairies?

Which Do You Prefer More?

• Potions!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fairies!

• I hate making decisions!

• Total voters

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
This question magically popped into my head...

To me, personally, I've always found fairies more useful in terms of healing in the Zelda franchise. They heal a bunch and are used automatically if you fail. I hate being in a bind and not getting the chance to use a potion, especially in the heat of battle. At the same time, potions are much better in terms of healing value, healing you up entirely (in most of the games). Even though they do come at a price, they can be much more useful when in a pinch.

So, which do you prefer? Potions or Fairies?

I don't have a particular preference for either; both of them are useful in their own respective ways when the need arises...

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
I like fairies more mostly for their revival use, given a second chance, and provided you don't get killed by the monsters that have no doubt surrounded you, it gives you an extra usable life. Which is always good. Unless there are Redeads or something like that.

I use both depending on how many heart containers I have. Early in a game a fairy can easily recover all or most of your heart containers but later on they can't fill enough of them which is detrimental against a hard boss or dungeon.
In the later stages of a game when I have most of the heart containers I'll use life potions. If I use a life potion in a dungeon and free up a bottle I'll then grab a fairy as a back up.

Last edited:

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Well, in OoT at least, when I start playing I collect milk in my bottles, since I can heal myself twice with one bottle, however once I get enough heart containers that milk gets less useful I collect fairies and don't really give potions a glance...

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Most games I stick to fairies. Most of the time I'm good in how I handle my health and can usually find enough hearts out in the wild to get myself out of a bind, and the fairies act as a backup in case I can't do that in time. Plus I can almost always get out of that hot 'n heavy situation if needed and run back to town to fill up my health.

Some games, though, fairies aren't quite as useful. Sometimes the danger in games is such that I can't rely on fairies and have to more actively use my health potions to keep my health up, with one fairy as a failsafe. SS is an example of such a game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
In games where I use healing consumables (read: none except where I mess around), fairies are always my staple. They're a functioning one-up in every game they appear in, and I daresay they're overpowered; sure, in modern Zelda they do not heal all of your health after revival, but they still allow you to take a hit and still come back. Think of it as the Miracle skill from FE13, only it triggers all of the time on a fatal blow. :P

That is something I want to see rectified, though. I do not think that fairies should be able to revive you 100% of the time, and I think potions should be far more effective than fairies since you have to pay for the buggers.

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?
I prefer fairies for the most part, because I like to be able to get as much mileage as possible out of my life force, especially in a boss fight. Having to drink a 150 ruppee potion when I still have two hearts left bums me out. Occasionally though, especially in the second half of ALTTP where my wallet is always full and fairies only give me half my hearts, I'll stock up on potions for a boss that I know I have a hard time with.

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
Depends on the game. Any game besides SS, Faries are SOOOO much more convenient! I usually just lug around a bunch if them and just reload before each Dungeon, if the need arises that is.
SS .. eh, and TP too, I use Potions more. The faries aren't quite as plentiful in those games. Plus the SS Faries only gave you 6 hearts :yuck:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Always fairies for me...For one they are very easy to obtain and in the likes of OoT they are heavily overpowered and free! Plus if you do manage to die in the game you don't have to worry about actual death as you will be revived automatically. However with a potion you have to select it manually and take the time to drink it, if in battle you are vulnerable to attack.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Fairies are the obvious choice. They are fun to catch, can be implemented in world-building (fairy queens and what not), and they don't have to be selected to use. Potions can go to wherever they stuck the cdi games.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
i use fairies, i like haveing that backup plan, you know? however i usually do go and get ONE potion if i have already been beat by a boss, that way when i return i got three fairies and a potion on harder bosses. i will use up my fairies, then on my last life, if he takes me down to 3 hearts, i will use the potion. this is late in the game strategy mind you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom