• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Potential of a new 2D side scrolling Zelda

In a recent interview Aonuma mentioned that he was pushing the handheld Zelda team to evolve the 2D Zelda style.

We've seen a few different takes on 2D Zelda games. Some almost verging on the 2.5D (See PH/ST) and Multiplayer linking with home consoles.

Most of the 2D titles are top down but Adventure of Linm exists and the side scrolling nature of that gane hasnt really been touched outside of small not-quite-the-same sections in Link's Awakening and the Oracle games.

The technology and freedom exists now to make impressive and immersive action adventure 2D games. Games like Odin Sphere is something how i imagine a new sidescrolling Zelda game turn out.

The Zelda team havent explored the idea of sidescrolling since AoL. Do you think that they may look to AoL and consider another sidescroller while pondering how to evolve the 2D style of Zelda?

Would you want a new side scroller?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Would you want a new side scroller?

In a word. No.

I dont particularly like side scrollers apart from just to pass time on my phone. Side scrollers aren't really the best type of games for storytelling either and since that is the reason I play Zelda I would be concerned about that.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
No. I think it's talking about a 2D Zelda game: like an actual one. Like ALBW. Of which. If this is true, I am hyped. I love the 2D Zelda formula, and I feel like ALBW's formula could be even better if it used original ideas, stories, and mechanics.
In a word. No.

I dont particularly like side scrollers apart from just to pass time on my phone. Side scrollers aren't really the best type of games for storytelling either and since that is the reason I play Zelda I would be concerned about that.
I disagree with this. 2D Side Scrollers can tell an excellent story when it tries. See:
Ori and the Blind Forest
Metroid Fusion
Super Metroid
Castelvania

Now I don't think they will take Zelda on this direction. But I don't think that statement is exactly true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom