• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Potential Implications of the Breath of the Wild Sequel Teaser

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Ever since the E3 Direct I can't help but feel like the sequel to Breath of the Wild is taking influences from Skyward Sword. I keep wondering what the significance of the sky is, and if it will link back to Skyloft, or maybe to another civilization that existed further in the past?

I won't be going too in depth since I plan to editoralize on this for the frontpage, but I think just getting my thoughts out will help in the long run. I'm definitely not the first to ponder this, but it feels like it'd be a waste to have us exploring the sky and not let us stumble upon locations from the past that were in the sky. There are already ruins of the springs from Skyward Sword in BotW, so why not have Skyloft in the sequel? It doesn't even have to be ruins of Skyloft, it could be cool to discover that there are still Skyloftians who never migrated down to the surface. Another idea I've had is there has always been an unknown sky civilization that Hylia was from, and perhaps we will discover this?

At the very least, I think there is some civilization in the sky, and if these are not options, perhaps it will be the Zonai? The Zonai are the greatest mystery of BotW, their ruins are found in every corner of Hyrule, meaning their presence was extremely widespread, but they've somehow vanished. I saw some ideas elsewhere that maybe Link will be using the portals the dragons use to reach an unseen sky realm that exists above Hyrule. From that I thought about how there are a lot of references on Zonai architecture to the dragons, so it might not be too far-fetched to wonder if the Zonai exist in the sky realm that the dragons disappear to when they go through those portals. I also wonder if the Great Plateau is linked to the sky people as well, considering it is a mysteriously raised piece of land?

Just some rudimentry ideas. I'd like to see what others are thinking from the teaser!

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
I always believed that the floating islands rose up with Hyrule castle; they haven't been floating around the whole time, they've just risen up because of Ganon. I could see your theory being true due to simply a desire for different terrain than the first game.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
tbh never heard the word zonai before the trailer dropped
In Creating a Champion they say the ruins in the Faron Region and the Labyrinths were created by the Zonai, an advance warrior race that vanished from Hyrule. Their ruins are scattered throughout the game, you can tell when something is Zonai ruin by the style.

Last edited:

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
In Creating a Champion they say the ruins in the Faron Region and the Labyrinths wete created by the Zonai, an advance warrior race that vanished from Hyrule. Their ruins are scattered throughout the game, you can tell when something is Zonai ruin by the style.
nice, another race that appears and disappears entirely off screen!
well, yeah I don't think they would create an entire race and then never follow up on it so that seems like a good lead

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I always believed that the floating islands rose up with Hyrule castle; they haven't been floating around the whole time, they've just risen up because of Ganon. I could see your theory being true due to simply a desire for different terrain than the first game.
Possibly. See the thing about SS that always bothered me was the Sky barrier implies there should be some portion of the sky that always has a stantionary body of clouds. But sometimes from the surface you can look up and there isn't a cloud in sight. So I think maybe the sky in SS is literally a realm, and that is why to get to and from the surface it required going through a portal? But even if that wasn't the case in SS, I could maybe see it being true in BotW 2. The idea of some higher realm that dragons go to that we will be exploring seems exciting, at least, if true.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
Possibly. See the thing about SS that always bothered me was the Sky barrier implies there should be some portion of the sky that always has a stantionary body of clouds. But sometimes from the surface you can look up and there isn't a cloud in sight. So I think maybe the sky in SS is literally a realm, and that is why to get to and from the surface it required going through a portal? But even if that wasn't the case in SS, I could maybe see it being true in BotW 2. The idea of some higher realm that dragons go to that we will be exploring seems exciting, at least, if true.
only problem is items can fall to the surface through the cloud barrier. It has to have been something that dissipated when skyloft fell.

as for the islands, I think there's a mix of pre-existing islands and islands that rise up, since we can see architecture and enemies that (honestly are reminiscent of the temple of winds architecture/enemies from minish cap?) don't fit in with hyrule's surface

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
only problem is items can fall to the surface through the cloud barrier. It has to have been something that dissipated when skyloft fell.

as for the islands, I think there's a mix of pre-existing islands and islands that rise up, since we can see architecture and enemies that (honestly are reminiscent of the temple of winds architecture/enemies from minish cap?) don't fit in with hyrule's surface
Yeah I think it would be wasted potential not to have like an area that is pretty clearly ruins of the Temple of Winds or something. Maybe elsewhere we come across the City in the Sky from TP. That is a potential route I could see them taking, which wouldn't be bad. I kind of want some lore with this game though rather than ruins of places where we have to fill in the blanks ourself, or just disregard them as easter eggs.

My thoguhts:

-Ganondorf has round ears, and considering the fact that he only ever had round ears in his human form in the DT(he got pointed ears in both TWW and TP), and the fact that CaC mentions a time when Gerudo only had round ears(coughtheEraoftheHeroofTimecough) and that the Gerudo in BotW all had pointed ears, this is more evidence for a DT placement of BotW/BotW2 IMO.

-The sky islands could relate to Skyloft, or it could be an unrelated sky theme like how City in the Sky in TP isn't necessarily related to Skyloft.

-Zelda might explore the underground while Link exlores the Overworld based on Zelda falling, which could lend to Zelda having playable moments in BotW2.

Even in Skyward Sword, we still see sky through the clouds, from the ground. I have always felt that the barrier was illusory. Looking at it from below would show nothing but sky, while looking at it from above would show nothing but clouds. When we see anything pass through, be it a falling Link, or an ascending dragon, we aren't really seeing a portal, as much as an open door; allowing objects, and images to pass through.

On a side note, I hope you don't mind my skipping the article, at least for now. I plan on theorizing about the squeal, only after I have the game in my hands. I get it that a huge amount of people are nuts for Breath 2 content, right now. It's better to feed them, and stay current. I just want my first play through to be as pure as possible, without throwing my router and phone out the window.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Even in Skyward Sword, we still see sky through the clouds, from the ground. I have always felt that the barrier was illusory. Looking at it from below would show nothing but sky, while looking at it from above would show nothing but clouds. When we see anything pass through, be it a falling Link, or an ascending dragon, we aren't really seeing a portal, as much as an open door; allowing objects, and images to pass through.
This made me realize something, perhaps other have noticed this and I'm just slow, but in the botw 2 trailer we can see the surface from the sky islands. Is it possible that the cloud barrier has broken down? Or perhaps only partially, considering there are shots on the surface where we can't see any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom