• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Post Game or Post Completion Options?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Sorry if I'm flooding, but ever since I've made that silly Tunic Options thread, I've been thinking about what could possibly be done with a single SS file once you beat the game once. Zelda games aren't known for having post game content like RPGs are (specifically the Star Ocean series), but every once in a while we got to do something different. For example, on completion of The Wind Waker you are allowed to restart that same file but you get a new costume. Another example is obtaining the Mirror Shield in Minish Cap, you can only do that once you beat the final boss.

I was thinking for Skyward Sword (because I didn't get what I wanted in OoT3D), we could possibly have bonus dungeons upon viewing the ending of the game. They could be completely puzzle based, action based (ooh, aaaction based), or even a mix between. That would add to replayability as I've said in another thread about 'the difficulty of Zelda Wii', "[somethingalongthelinesof] There could be a Master Quest mode unlocked on completion of the game[/somethingalongthelinesof]". What I mean by quoting that sentence is that maybe on each completion, the bonus dungeons would continue to get harder and harder. The problem with that proposal though, is the tedium required to make a harder dungeon, both on the DEV side and on the player's side.

More to the point though, I'd like to hear your thoughts on any post game (game completion, continue on same file) or post completion (game completion, restart on same file) ideas!

I really like this idea!!! :D It would add a lot of replay value and give people yet another reason to come back and replay the game. Well on my ideas I would like a "Master quest" and maybe even have a large alternate sidequest that is only unlockable after you beat the game. Ur idea is by far the best though.

Phantom Zelda

Mostly Harmless
What about a sort of Chrono Trigger esque New Game+ idea. You could do more stuff after you beat the game but on a different file. Now I'm not sure if this would work in a Zelda game but it sounds cooler and cooler just thinking about it.

I enjoy having things to do after I beat the game, pretty much no matter what. Especially in Zelda games, because they're so fun in the first place. It's nice knowing that there's something you have yet to do, other than getting all of the pieces of heart or some such thing. For example, the 2nd quest in LoZ was a really cool idea: having an entirely new layout, along with more difficulty, adds a lot of replay value. Just like the Master Quest in OoT3DS (for those of us who didn't play it on the GC anyways.)

Lots of times, when I beat a game, I feel kind of sad, knowing that that's the end of the adventure. Having stuff to do afterwards helps with that a lot. Still though, I'm not sure if it matters much whether you have to beat the game before getting these extras or not. For example, in MC you can't get the Mirror Shield until after you beat it: however, there were so many other secrets I missed when I beat the game the first time that I didn't really notice the Mirror Shield was a post-game item. Same kind of thing with MM: there were so many side-quests, it didn't matter that I could've completed them before the game ended, because I missed a lot of them, and still went back to get them after beating it. What I'm saying is, as long as there's plenty to do, it doesn't matter when you get to do it.

Post-completion extras are a bit different though. If they're good, they give you reason to play through the whole game again (as mentioned above: LoZ 2nd quest, Master Quest.) As long as it's good enough incentive to play again, I love the idea: however, if it's just like WW, where you just look a bit different (and yes, I know you get the Deluxe Picto Box from the start too, but that's not really a big deal at all either), I really couldn't care less. Whether or which, I kind of doubt SS will have anything akin to a 2nd Quest/Master Quest. By the sound of it, it's going to be quite a large game, so they probably wouldn't have room for something like that.

Anyways, as long as SS has a lot of side-quests to complete, it won't bother me much whether there's post-game extras or not. And it sounds like it will. :D

I think there should be some post game bonuses (at least a lot of sidequest to distract you from the real game for that matter) because when I finished Assassin's Creed II there was nothing, nada, to do except collect feathers on buildings or find little treasure chests for money which you don't need any more. There wasn't even a level replay option! I think that bonuses and sidequest add a certain something that makes you love it.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I want it to stay the same as we have always had in zelda, once the game is complete it is complete. If there is after content then the game will feel still incomplete even though you have vanquished the evil from the land.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I understand what you mean there, but that's also what stumped me about recent Zelda games. Once you beat the game, all there is left to do is tidy up your inventory, get any upgrades you may have missed, collect any heart pieces, etc...and that gets boring, fast. Once you beat the last boss, you either have to restart the entire file or live with a finished overworld (not including the last boss as you can't save).

With post game content, you could achieve more but still have it not count in the story (if that's anyone's gripe). For example, there is the game series "Star Ocean" by a company called triAce. They pull off PG content very easily in the way of (usu.) two or three bonus dungeons that really test the skills of the player. Every encounter in the post game is strictly noncanon so it allows for almost infinite flexibility - even recoloring many bosses and having alternate dialogue. You won't ever find that in a game that is done on final boss defeat! :D

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
There will probably be a master quest or even more backtracking into dungeons revealing more bosses and more creative uses of equipment.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
There will probably be a master quest or even more backtracking into dungeons revealing more bosses and more creative uses of equipment.

I love the idea of entering elder dungeons for more bosses and/or conditions to be faced, and in a way that would be another 'Master' Quest - you would have all of your equipment and have to use it to the very best of your ability. xD

After you complete the game you unlock a three-heart run boss challenge.
So something like MQ Boss Challenge from OoT3D? That's a good idea as well, but from what I've seen of the boss (Ghirahim) is that he could be able to KO you nearly on the spot. It would be challenging, but then again that's what challenges are for!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom