• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Possible Delay for Skyward Sword

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!
So, while I was watching a video about a possible sequel to Final Fantasy; I saw this video on IGN indicating that Skyward Sword might be delayed to mid/late 2011 (RAGE!!!). Here's the video:

Also, here's the article that I found as well:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...ays-Zelda-Skyward-Sword-Is-Only-Half-Complete
Miyamoto Says Zelda: Skyward Sword Is Only Half-Complete

The next Zelda game missed the 2010 Holiday release and it may just miss 2011 as well.
Watching Shigeru Miyamoto fumble around with the Wii Remote during Nintendo's 2010 E3 presentation and complain more than once of the interference that the audience's cellphones were having on his control scheme didn't really instill me with a lot of confidence for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Nintendo had originally pegged the next Zelda to be one of its "Big Three" releases for 2010, along with Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid: Other M. Pushing back the release of Skyward Sword to "early" 2011 was a disappointment for many fans, but we were willing to suffer delays if it meant a good game. Now though, it seems that the release date has slipped even more as Miyamoto has said that work on Skyward Sword is only partially finished.
"What we are focused on is creating gameplay mechanics so the gameplay experience feels very dense. In fact, the overall experience is going to feel more dense," Miyamoto said. "We hope that people will want to go back and replay the game once they finish it."
Skyward Sword is "over half complete," Miyamoto said.
Now, Miyamoto could have just been speaking in generalities, and there may be a bit of a language/culture barrier, but at this point in development other game designers might say that they were in polish mode or that they were testing to make sure that all of the systems work well together. Especially if the game in question was trying to be ready to ship in the first six months of 2011.
But no, it's just "half-complete" and Miyamoto is still working on mechanics.
You heard it here first: I don't think we'll see Skyward Sword until the Holiday 2011 season and I wouldn't be very surprised if it comes out in 2012.
Source: Pocket-lint
"Half-complete" means that the game is only 50%(+) completed. Even the article on this website is saying the exact same thing: http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/851226-zelda-skyward-sword-is-50-complete

What do you guys think? Am I wrong? Its kind of a let down, but at least they're fixing the bugs that were messing up the controls during E3. I'm glad Nintendo is taking the time to making sure this game is perfect, but in a way..it doesn't make sense why its only half way finished. Maybe its because I'm not smart when it comes to game development, but when I saw it at E3 it looked like it was around 60%+ completed? Its pretty safe to assume the story is finished though, right? :S

Last edited:

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
at least they're fixing the bugs that were messing up the controls during E3. At least, its pretty safe to assume the story is finished though, right? :S

To be fair, the bugs at E3 were due to technical difficulties with the presentation...it worked just fine when people got to play the demos, but there was too much interference or something on stage when Miyamoto was playing it during the presentation. Everyone who played it later said the controls work well...

That said. This is a let down. I have heard people contradict this article in which Miyamoto says the game is only over half complete by saying that it is an old interview or that the translation was off...but the fact of the mater is, if this is wrong, Nintendo would correct it. The idea that the game is not coming out in early 2011 is pretty widespread (it's been reported on Destructoid, IGN, et al.) so if this was false, Nintendo would make comments to the contrary.

I am guessing the game will come out in August. And the more I think about it, maybe it will be more like October or November.

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!
That said. This is a let down. I have heard people contradict this article in which Miyamoto says the game is only over half complete by saying that it is an old interview or that the translation was off...but the fact of the mater is, if this is wrong, Nintendo would correct it. The idea that the game is not coming out in early 2011 is pretty widespread (it's been reported on Destructoid, IGN, et al.) so if this was false, Nintendo would make comments to the contrary.

I am guessing the game will come out in August. And the more I think about it, maybe it will be more like October or November.

I totally agree with you. After the holidays, I was planning on buying Skyward sword first before Marvel vs Capcom 3, but now since this pretty much indicates the game will be delayed until possibly fall/winter 2011 (<- I'm guessing it'll be released for the holidays); I'll have to find something else to get into. I don't understand how its only 50% complete though. It looked great at E3.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
I don't understand how its only 50% complete though. It looked great at E3.

Yeah, I mean, they have been working on the game for YEARS...how could it be just over 50%?? I think that there is some sort of issue they are working through, something they are not happy with...

L

link999

Miyamoto said it was OVER half way done. This could mean from 50% to even 70%(UNlikely). If they do delay it, It is better then them cutting stuff to reach the deadline(WW, anyone?). The longer the delay, the more time they have the to polish it.

J

jack-o-lantern

I never beleive IGN anymore, some of the writers there just post BS. And the fact that they are still reporting that they are worried about the controls from E3, shows me they don't know what they're talking about. The way I feel is that, Nintendo wouldn't comment about this and try to correct these people, because I cant remember a time that they did. Also, over half complete could be from 50 to 100% and it's not like he would say it's done because then people will expect a release date. So I will trust Nintendo for now. At latest, I see May. Definatly not 2012.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
I 100% agree with what jack-o-lantern said. "Over half way complete" can mean anything from 50.0000001% complete to 100% finished :D. IGN isn't a trustable source, I don't even know why I ever went too that site for news. I honestly believe that that article despite the uproar its gotten is nothing more than a old article spiced up with new info, just look how they address the Zelda game. Oh and why would nintendo correct something if theres nothing wrong with it. Miyamoto said "over half way" because saying anything different would cause to many problems/hype.

There're couple of things I'm thinking of:

First of all: 'Over half' can mean anything, from 51% to 99%
Second: 'complete' means something else to Miyamoto than to most people. To us it means more or less done; dungeons done, gameplay done, etc. To Miyamoto it means completely finished; polished touched up, ready to ship. It's very much possible they're just polishing everything right now, which (correct me if I'm wrong) is the least time-consuming aspect of game development.
Third: I'm guessing their source for this quote is the Pocket-Lint article (I'm pretty sure actually).
There is a possibility that the 'interview' part of the article (I'm talking about the Miyamoto quotes in the article) is in fact old, and thrown in with the rest. I'll try to explain.
First I suggest you read the whole article (I'm sorry if I seem like a smartass, but just to be sure :p)
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3742...nintendo-zelda

Then to start off, you'll see that somewhere near the end of the article, they start talking about 3D. Not specifically the 3DS, just 3D. That's odd, but not noteworthy. But when the writer says something about Mario Kart 3DS (that it presumably looks great) Miyamoto reacts weird.
Specifically: "For the briefest of moments, Miyamoto looks like Pocket-lint has stolen a prized biscuit from his private cookie jar, since no announcement of Mario Kart in 3D has been made."
As we all know, Mario Kart 3DS was oficially announced at E3 in June. This would mean that at least this part of the interview is at least 5 months old.
If you go back and read some of the Zelda stuff, you'll also see that Miyamoto never refers to SS by it's title, just calling it 'the new Zelda game'.
Now, with this there are 2 possibilities:
1: This article is made up of at least 2 different interviews, the one with Mario Kart (which is before sometime E3), and a recent one about Zelda, with Miyamoto just not wanting to say 'Skyward Sword' all the time thus saying 'new Zelda'.
2: It's just one pre-E3 interview, so Miyamoto isn't allowed to name Skyward Sword.

To me, the second possibility seems more likely. Especially since the article seems to stress the part about SS being over half complete at the time of the meeting.

I can't really say this is the truth, but the interview(s) used in the article seem strange enough.

:nerd:

remmber nintendo's roundtable at E3? they said that they were in "the final strech" .
scondly, during nintendo's E3 presentesion, they said " it looks like development might take throughout this year, so you can all wait to play skyward sword next year!"

these lines pretty much says that it will be an early 2011 release.

Alar

Clothed in Green
Well if we Havnt got a confirmed date, we can not tell whether it has been delayed or not. And i dont think Nintendo will announce a release date unless they are 100% sure that they will get the game on time

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
I don't belive IGN as well. They aren't the most reliable source of info on the internet. Also, "over half complete" sounds like 80-90% done. I think Mr. Miyamoto wasn't allowed to say exactly and accurately how much is finished, so he gave us the most general answer: "Over half complete". The game could in fact be already finished, it's just that they are probably polishing it. Besides, if there was a delay, wouldn't Nintendo say so? Wouldn't they informed the people that the certain game is going to be delayed? Probably yes.

I don't think it's actually delayed, they've been working on Skyward Sword for more than 3 years now. At E3, they said it's done, just need to add some stuff here and there. I think this whole "over half complete" fiasco is just a simple misunderstanding. Shigeru Miyamoto gave us a really general answer, he probably isn't allowed to say the official information, and besides, it's Nintendo's specialty to just be all secretive like that right? If it were to be officially delayed, Nintendo would annouce it.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
even if there was a delay it's either already happened or it's gunna happen and we might end up not hearing about it. SS could be done right now, and their just delaying it while Nintendo does the last minute paperwork which could take months, while they test for bugs and glitches. I'm stuck with this idea that it'll come out in 5 months or so, I can't see it being any later than that so hopfully in my case SS comes out earlier. Then I'd be wrong about my guess but it would still be a good thing. That's my ideal prediction concerning the new Zelda games delay. Though as a counterpoint to that SS could be delayed untill the spring or summer if things went really bad. But I have no idea what might cause such a situation, I find it's not worth it to worry about these things in advance, at least wait until we're told there's going to be a delay before we start wondering if there could be one. Guess it does help the time go by if you think about this stuff. I feel like the game is being delayed even as I type this. Now that Miyamoto has stated that the game is over half finished I'd like it if they kept us even more updated. It's just that I don't expect to hear anything since it's been so quite lately.

SS won't get delayed. IGN is so stupid for saying in that video that "Skyward Sword is Only Half Done. I mean, in the interview Miyamoto CLEARLY said Over Halfway Finished. My best guess is someone over at IGN is still having nightmares about the OoT Water Temple and is loathing Zelda, and decided to find a way to make it seem like SS may get delayed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom