• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Possible Beginnings and Plot Catalysts for Future Zelda Games

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
Hey all! I finally have time to spend here on ZD, so I though I would make a thread about a subject that's been crossing my mind for a while.

I recently saw an awesome piece of fanart featuring a bruised and run-down looking Link sneaking his way through through an evil landscape crawling with monsters. The blade of the Master Sword was broken in half, but Link was still wielding it as his main weapon. The description stated that the piece was inspired by the idea of Ganon/Ganondorf's forces successfully taking over Hyrule, and having the basis of Link's adventure be his fight to restore the sword and drive the evil out (rather than prevent it from arising, like in many other games). I began to think what an awesome start that would make to a Zelda game. One could argue that this is basically post time-travel OoT, but in this scenario, I imagine the game to begin with chaos; to begin at the bottom rung without much explanation of what happened to the land, discovering bits of the plot as you fight your way through with limited resources. In my head, I imagine a combination of the freeform, blind exploration of LoZ and the stealth segment of Eldin Volcano in SS.

Many of Link's adventures begin with him searching for an important person. That's all fine and good, and I think it works well in a choice few games, but there are so many other interesting avenues that can be taken to start up the sequence of events. This was just one that I thought sounded very appealing. There are others I've heard that involve Dark Link and the concept of the Anti-Hero. And I think it would really interesting to see a game that puts Dark Link in focus and explains his existence and why he manifested in the first place. Maybe that idea could be connected to the Zelda motif of "multiple dimensions" and Dark Link could exist in that game's alternate universe.

Even though SS followed the "chasing after an important person" thing and did it well, I would like to see more creative starts in the future. Many people complained how slow and bland some of the more recent games start out. I think abandoning the quiet village outset would be a refreshing change. Giving Link some new origins would make for something more engaging from the beginning.

Do you guys have any fleshed out Zelda plots of your own? Do you think that the recurring plot catalysts of going from
simple life to Chosen Hero have become their own Zelda motif?

You had me at broken master sword. I think it would be great to have the master sword break and then get repaired. I know picori/four sword already did this but come on the master sword is an icon. Yup thats my new favortie plot. Link gets beat up in the begining, master sword breaks, evil takes over, almost lost all hope and then the master sword is forged anew (without the annoying fi being part of it :) ) but its done in a cooler way then in SS

LanceLercher

The White Knight Alien
I like the ruggid beggining to a game; this is similar to how A Link to the Past started, but this is more extreme. I feel that Link should be born into a time when fighting has already begun, and he leads the rebellion against it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom