• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Popular Dungeons You Dislike

JC, why you complain about the Ancient Cistern? I'll have to address that at a later point in another thread.

Maybe it's just JuicieJ constantly asserting this dungeon is amazing and not of a view of the Zelda community as a whole but the Lanayru Mining Facility never clicked with me. Skyward Sword relied too heavily on pushing few themes with some tweaks in between. Two sand dungeons? Two fire dungeons? I prefer variety.

The Gust Bellows are a boring item and using them to blow on objects and move platforms failed to satisfy me. Blowing on the sand to reveal Moldarch's location disappointed me as well. When I first saw Moldarach's concept during SS's E3 2010 reveal, I was excited to fight a giant scorpion. Unfortunately, it was a very standard battle which Nintendo later chose to reuse in the overworld.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I have to go with the Fire Sanctuary in this one. I've heard a lot of people say this dungeon is great, but I just don't see it. The main thing I dislike about it is that it's a repeated theme (Earth Temple, come on!) I know the Sandship was too, but I liked that dungeon because of its uniqueness. The Fire Sanctuary just isn't all that unique or interesting, IMO. There were too many lizalfos, and also too many burrow mazes (and those moldorms were REALLY annoying to fight sometimes). Also, it had a rather underwhelming and easy miniboss, which I defeated in less than a minute on my first playthrough of the game... ya. The miniboss of the 3rd dungeon shouldn't be like that! The lizalfos were harder, like seriously! It also had a recycled boss, which was a little disappointing, even though I love Ghirahim, because it wasn't the right dungeon for it. There should have been some epic battle with a fire monster, not like Scaldera either.
Overall, the Fire Sanctuary is one of my least favourite dungeons in the series... You know what, it might acually be my least favourite, I dunno...

One more thing. I've seen a lot of people hate on the City in the Sky in the past... I honestly don't know why. I love that dungeon! That is all.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
JC, why you complain about the Ancient Cistern? I'll have to address that at a later point in another thread.

Because the Ancient Cistern is extremely basic and poorly-designed. It's like a dungeon straight out of The Wind Waker or Twilight Princess's second half.

Maybe it's just JuicieJ constantly asserting this dungeon is amazing and not of a view of the Zelda community as a whole but the Lanayru Mining Facility never clicked with me.

That'd be Axle. I emphasize the Sandship's excellence. ;)

Skyward Sword relied too heavily on pushing few themes with some tweaks in between. Two sand dungeons? Two fire dungeons? I prefer variety.

How does that have anything to do with you not enjoying the LMF?

One more thing. I've seen a lot of people hate on the City in the Sky in the past... I honestly don't know why. I love that dungeon! That is all.

Twilight Princess Dungeons: City in the Sky

^ Pretty much sums it up in great detail.

JuicieJ said:
Because the Ancient Cistern is extremely basic and poorly-designed. It's like a dungeon straight out of The Wind Waker or Twilight Princess's second half.

Rhetorical question but fair enough. As promised, I explained my reasoning for enjoying the Ancient Cistern here.

JuicieJ said:
How does that have anything to do with you not enjoying the LMF?

The Lanayru Mining Facility left me with an unfavorable initial opinion. This was further dampened by the Sandship-a dungeon with the same theme but better executed.

While I only alluded to this, the Fire Sanctuary and Sandship differentiated themselves far too little from the previous dungeons of the same theme. The Sandship at least had large portions on the exterior whereas the Fire Sanctuary offered little more than the Earth Temple prior. In this sense, the Ancient Cistern presented something unique upon revisiting a region.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The Lanayru Mining Facility left me with an unfavorable initial opinion. This was further dampened by the Sandship-a dungeon with the same theme but better executed.

While I only alluded to this, the Fire Sanctuary and Sandship differentiated themselves far too little from the previous dungeons of the same theme. The Sandship at least had large portions on the exterior whereas the Fire Sanctuary offered little more than the Earth Temple prior. In this sense, the Ancient Cistern presented something unique upon revisiting a region.

I don't see how future dungeons can possibly lead to disliking previous dungeons. That's reverse logic.

I don't see how future dungeons can possibly lead to disliking previous dungeons. That's reverse logic.

It's perfectly comprehensible to me. A gamer can play Ocarina of Time first and enjoy it but prefer Majora's Mask. This leads to them disliking certain aspects of Ocarina of Time.

When I first played the Lanayru Mining Facility, I formed an opinion. After completing the Sandship, that opinion changed for the worse.

Stone tower temple from Majora's Mask was one I really, really disliked. Not sure why, but it sticks out in my memory.
Another is the Shadow Temple from Ocarina of Time. It was too linear for my liking.
Finally, I'm not sure if this is a popular one people like, but Lanayru Mining Facility from Skyward Sword. I've played that game 3 times and i'm currently playing it a 4th, and I just reached the LMF, and I don't even want to go play it because I hate this dungeon so much. It is so bland looking and it all looks the same. Plus, the music drives me nuts. Also, after making my way to the LMF I'd hit enough timeshift stones to last me a lifetime, so imagine my disappointment when...
Other than that, I'm not a big fan of any of the dungeons in Majora's Mask, actually.. now that I think of it, the only one I liked was the Snowhead Temple.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium

No. I could have played a dungeon I thought it was good, then played another dungeon that was better and decided that I didn't like the first dungeon because it was not as good compared to the other dungeon. The way you say "future dungeons", suggests that they are dungeons the player hasn't gone through yet, when in fact both the dungeons are past dungeons that can be compared to each other. A Link In Time's opinion about the LMF changed after he played the the Sandship, because what he thought was done in the facility was done better in the Sandship.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Gonna hafta agree with coolguy, Ancient Cistern is the only dungeon in SS I don't care for (even if I love its boss).

As for others, hmm...

I only really liked the Tower of the Gods in WW, the other dungeons just fell flat for me.
The first 3 dungeons in OoT are pretty boring, though I don't know if they were ever considered popular to begin with...
I don't care for Hyrule Castle in TP. After the surreal setting of the Palace of Twilight and the great buildup to the showdown with Zant, HC deflated that buildup until the last few floors.

I don't know if they're popular or not, but I generally disliked TP's dungeons. I don't know why, but they felt more like "a tedious pain in the butt" than challenges that made me think. I mean WW was easy for me too, but just didn't like TP's dungeons at all.
Not a dungeon, but I also hated the hunting and pecking in SS (find all the ___ using the dowsing method). It made me afraid to progress in the game, for fear of bumping into another "find the ___" chore.

MW7

I didn't like the Goron Mines very much. It probably would be my least favorite dungeon in Twilight Princess if not for the Palace of Twilight. Three things bothered me. First the boss felt contrived even by the standards of Twilight Princess. It just annoyed me how they went out of their way to include the bow and the iron boots in defeating the boss, and they didn't even make it halfway challenging to make things worse. Second, walking with the iron boots on magnets was a great idea that was used ad nauseum. This was compounded by the fact that you were noticeably slower during these segments. Finally breaking up a boss key is a really great idea for a nonlinear dungeon but totally pointless in a linear one. All it did for me was serve as a reminder of how unnecessarily structured Twilight Princess is.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I could never pull myself to like the Sandship from SS. No matter how many times I tried to convince myself it was good, it just wasn't to me. I also have a strong dislike for the Shadow Temple (and Bottom of the Well if that counts as a Dungeon) from OoT. I don't do creepy themes; however, I did enjoy Arbiter's Grounds from TP (for the most part anyways). I also disliked the Earth Temple from SS. I just found it cramped and uneventful.

Not Take Mirror

Sage of Ice
I'm having a hard time thinking of one. I like almost every dungeon thought of as popular. The closest thing that comes to mind would be City in the Sky from Twilight Princess. I'm not sure how popular it is though. It's loved by many but also hated by many. My problems with it is just that it feels long and tedious to do. If you miss a clawshot target you have to do a huge segment over. The Ooccoo creep me out and the music is annoying. It doesn't really feel like a City. I had high expectations first going into the dungeon and it failed to meet it for me. The final boss fight is cool though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom