• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pop "Music"

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
Do you actually like it? I hate it. It's not music, it's "music". Electronic beeps and bloops with electronically edited singing certainly does not equal actual music. I especially hate Adele. The sound of her voice makes me cringe. :sick:

What are your thoughts on pop "music"?

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
Adele, in my opinion, is one of the few good musical artists of today. About 70% of it is autotuned crap, or stupid hip-hop. Fun is a good band, as are several others, but there isn't much talent today.

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
[video=youtube;Leb2xG2XkEw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Leb2xG2XkEw[/video]

The epitome of pop music... and I love it. <3

I like pop music. Honestly, I don't care what is genuine or not in music. If I like the sound, then I like the song. Done.

Nsync is the worst boyband ever. Even worse that One Direction. :sick:

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
"Good pop" is an oxymoron. Pop music is terrible, in my opinion. I honestly don't understand why people can like it. But, that's just me.

Thank you, somebody agrees with me. "Good pop" is totally an oxymoron.

chrisplushado

All I want is Wii friends
I like poop en español (that's pretty much how it's pronounced in spanish)
[video=youtube;Y_44WuuARa8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_44WuuARa8[/video]

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
No, pop is generally generic-sounding garbage designed to appeal to the masses. It's not all bad though, Although I barely listen to any of it myself I'm sure there are at least a few halfway decent pop artists out there. Unfortunately, even those artists are mostly only listened to for their catchy sound and nothing else.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
I think the biggest problem with pop music is that they all sound alike (are they all sang by two or three different people?). And they're all about the same freaking stuff. Pop stars, you've written enough songs about heartbreaks and girl's eyes! How about something that's a bit more intelligent and serious? Even if you still want to write a song about love you don't need to use words like heart and baby over and over again. Compare any of them to Aneurysm, by Nirvana. It's basically a love song Kurt wrote to get back with his ex-girlfriend and it's awesome.

Go_Skyward

Seek a door that carries a [9]
I don't like pop too much. I'm more of a rock/metal head kind of person. I think pop is just like everyone else says, bleeps with auto tune. Most pop music is about drugs, sex or pointless break up songs. That's great for our future generations to heard :L

Honestly, there is no point to it. I like songs with real meaning. I don't completely 'hate' pop. I just dislike it and it's not really my thing.

But that's my two sense on that matter. Ciao c:

Fiveoclock

Error 404- Life not found
Glad I'm not the only one who hates that sorry excuse for a sound. I hate all pop music, almost no exceptions. I could rant on and on about how it's uncreative and horrible, but I'll refrain.
And if pop "music" is so good, why does nobody care about it a few months after release? Real music never dies.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Okay here goes....

I have nothing against pop. It is not my favorite genre but that doesn't mean I won't listen to it occasionally. Generally speaking I listen to what most people call "screamo" but I find that it's good to open myself up to other styles. There are some pop artists who I do hold a bit of higher regard for than others. For instance both Katy Perry and Owl City are pop artists but both can actually play an instrument besides just making music using a synthesizer. Both do play guitar so I think that they deserve a bit more credit than what they get.

I don't like pop too much. I'm more of a rock/metal head kind of person. I think pop is just like everyone else says, bleeps with auto tune. Most pop music is about drugs, sex or pointless break up songs. That's great for our future generations to heard :L

Honestly, there is no point to it. I like songs with real meaning. I don't completely 'hate' pop. I just dislike it and it's not really my thing.

Not all pop music is that way and some of what I listen to (that I know you also listen to ;)) has talk about drugs, sex, and breakups. Owl City writes love songs that are about going the distance for someone he loves. I find it to be quite moving and hopeful.

I would agree that a lot of pop sounds the same and that's why I usually stick to Indie artists if I listen to pop at all.

Now as for electronic music, you're better off actually listening to something in the genres of Trance or Drum&Bass (especially Pendulum) if you want good electronic music because your not going to find "good" electronic music in pop. Groups like Nsync and One Republic don't write their own stuff. They have their own input on what they want to hear but they even touch a computer to add in sound. They sing. Good electronic music comes from the sub genres of Electronica (ie. Trance, House, Dub, Dubstep, DJ, Drum&Bass, etc.).

Now I also listen to a few other types that are "semi-pop" artists. Pop Punk and Power Pop are both types that focus on using Alt. Rock in a pop fashion. But I would not say that they are even remotely similar to pop. Here's a couple of examples.

I See Stars (Power Pop)
-Over It
-Filth Friends Unite
-It Will Be Up (High School Never Ends)

Taking Back Sunday (Pop Punk)
-MakeDamnSure
-Cute Without the E (Cut From the Team)

Make Me Famous (Power Pop)
-It's Now Or Never

Chunk! No Captain Chunk! (Power Pop/Pop Punk)
-In Friends We Trust
-Captain Blood
-Born For Adversity

Hopefully this helps in clarifying the specific types that I listed in my last sentence.

Dan

I personally don't like "modern pop music" ... I think there might be some songs I like, although most I hate, I barely know much music, not really in the loop when it comes to music and movies...

I have to admit I usually have the radio off in the car, it does give me a bit of a headache too, I dislike the sounds... :I

Although when it does come to music preferences I'm not one to judge. It's all about taste when it comes to hearing.
Oh and also I never understood the argument people made that if a piece of music doesn't get produced by a real instrument it's bad... Who the **** cares ? As long it sounds good to the ears I don't see why it would matter...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom