• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Poll The Hedgehog

Sonic; yay or nay

• Yay

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Nay

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Good character with poor games

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Poor character with good games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What is Sanic?

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
Sonic.

Yay or nay?

Some of us grew up with him and remember the good old days.

Some of us grew up with him and remember the Dreamcast days.

Do you like Sonic?
Do you like him but not his games?

Do you hate him?
Do you want to like him even though he makes it hard to do so?

Where do you stand with Sonic?

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Yay
I grew up with a few Sonic games. We had the Mega Collection for Gamecube, which gave us the original Trilogy & Knuckles, 3D Blast, Spinball, and Mean Bean Machine. We also owned Heroes and Shadow, both of which I adore but admit a certain amount of nostalgia, especially for the latter. I kinda dropped off playing them for a while but started again maybe two years ago when I found the Mega drive games on Steam.
I find his character to be interesting too. However, it's been flandarized in order to put out that "too cool" vibe. Sega needs to stop living in the '90s. That edge can only bring in so many players.
As a whole I like the comics and the shows almost as much as I love the games. Very much a well-rounded franchise.

Ninja

Well well well
Do you like Sonic?
Do you like him but not his games?

Do you hate him?
Do you want to like him even though he makes it hard to do so?

Where do you stand with Sonic?

I voted for great character, but mostly poor games. My favorite titles include Sonic Adventure, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and Sonic Heroes. I haven't really enjoyed any of the newer games.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I grew up wth Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Sonic and Knuckles. Those were all good (1 and 2 were great). After that, it got bad.

Yay up until that point

Mido

Version 1
DISCLAIMER: A small tinge of Mido Fanboy is about to leak from the jar. Reader discretion is advised.

I think in the grand scene of things, the Sonic franchise has received more hate than it deserves. As made obvious by this note, I am a big fan of the series, and is arguable my most nostalgic game series, having played since Adventure and then returned to the early games. Overall, I think that the 2D Sonic years were great as many say, but I also hold a distinct love for the Dreamcast Era of 3D games. This era is why I say the series gets too much hate. Don't get me wrong, the games are by no means perfect and have flaws, but they are not bad games in the slightest. I would pinpoint the downfall of the series at around 2005 with Shadow the Hedgehog (which is more of a guilty pleasure game for me, as it's not really a great game). After that, I can see where the series went wrong and I agree with the sentiments for the most part. I never played Unleashed, and I heard that was okay. I liked Generations, but I also haven't played a game since save for Sonic 4: Episode 1 and Colors, which while all right, was a bit too easy from the bits I've played.

With all this in mind, I suppose it leads to one question. Am I just a nostalgia-filled curmudgeon lamenting over the state of the franchise's reputation? Perhaps. Maybe I tend to be too forgiving towards certain flaws, I don't know. But in essence, I do still like the series even though I haven't bought a game since 2011.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
DISCLAIMER: A small tinge of Mido Fanboy is about to leak from the jar. Reader discretion is advised.

I think in the grand scene of things, the Sonic franchise has received more hate than it deserves. As made obvious by this note, I am a big fan of the series, and is arguable my most nostalgic game series, having played since Adventure and then returned to the early games. Overall, I think that the 2D Sonic years were great as many say, but I also hold a distinct love for the Dreamcast Era of 3D games. This era is why I say the series gets too much hate. Don't get me wrong, the games are by no means perfect and have flaws, but they are not bad games in the slightest. I would pinpoint the downfall of the series at around 2005 with Shadow the Hedgehog (which is more of a guilty pleasure game for me, as it's not really a great game). After that, I can see where the series went wrong and I agree with the sentiments for the most part. I never played Unleashed, and I heard that was okay. I liked Generations, but I also haven't played a game since save for Sonic 4: Episode 1 and Colors, which while all right, was a bit too easy from the bits I've played.

With all this in mind, I suppose it leads to one question. Am I just a nostalgia-filled curmudgeon lamenting over the state of the franchise's reputation? Perhaps. Maybe I tend to be too forgiving towards certain flaws, I don't know. But in essence, I do still like the series even though I haven't bought a game since 2011.
Well, if you are one of those people, then Mania was made for you. So there's that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom