• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon Types to Get to Beat the Johto Gym Leaders

I know this doesn't have any water type pokemon to surf with, so this is only the pokemon types you need to beat the gym leaders of Johto. This does not cover the moves. This is for Soulsilver and Heartgold. You would also want to get Cyndaquil as your starter pokemon.

Types of Gym leaders Type you need Pokemon types you might need
Flying Electric/Rock Fire=Cyndaquil
Bug Fire Dark
Normal Fighting Flying=Spearow/Pidgey/Zubat
Ghost Dark Fighting
Fighting Flying Ice and Ground=Swinub
Steel Fire, Fighting Electric/Rock=Mareep/Onix
Ice Fire, Fighting
Dragon Ice
Psychic Dark
Fighting Flying
Poison Ground
Dark Fighting
The pokemon types you might need are empty on Dark and Fighting because there are no Fighting or Dark type pokemon that appear before there gym leader(s). You could trade someone else to get these types. Sorry it's so hard to read.

Last edited:

ComposerBrother

Composer of Hyrule
In the early stages of development, Game Freak intended the starters to be each more difficult to play than the next. Basically it boils down to:

Cyndaquil-Easy
Tododile-Medium
Chickorita-Hard

This setup was for the Johto gym leaders, where cyndaquil had the most type advantages while chickorita had the most type weaknesses. But once you beat the game and go to kanto, it is reversed.

It really would help to know what your starter is before suggesting any other pokemon. :)

In the early stages of development, Game Freak intended the starters to be each more difficult to play than the next. Basically it boils down to:

Cyndaquil-Easy
Tododile-Medium
Chickorita-Hard

This setup was for the Johto gym leaders, where cyndaquil had the most type advantages while chickorita had the most type weaknesses. But once you beat the game and go to kanto, it is reversed.

It really would help to know what your starter is before suggesting any other pokemon. :)

Upon further investigation, while that may have been the intended order, and that's what I've always heard, I found that Totodile was actually easier than Cyndaquil. I wrote an article on it for Pokemon Dungeon, but I forget where it went ... when I find it, I'll post it here.

ComposerBrother

Composer of Hyrule
Upon further investigation, while that may have been the intended order, and that's what I've always heard, I found that Totodile was actually easier than Cyndaquil. I wrote an article on it for Pokemon Dungeon, but I forget where it went ... when I find it, I'll post it here.

Overall, totodile is much easier than cyndaquil because of its balance in both regions.

Though if all you want to do is finish the game and roll to the credits, Cyndaquil's high attacks and low final evolution level fit the bill.

F

Forever Impa

Cyndaquil-Easy
Tododile-Medium
Chickorita-Hard

This explains why my gameplay was extensively longer than my brother's when we had the originals (I had silver, he had gold). He started with cyndaquil, I started with Chickorita. But in the end, he never was able to beat the power of the Meganium I had; body slam usually could take out Typhlosion in 1 hit, even though he was only about 5 levels higher whenever we battled (in the 80+ level range)

Kevin

Original PD
Site Staff
One thing I would always do to beat Falkner easily was catch a Geodude and level him up till he knew Rock Throw to beat his Pidgeotto. Otherwise I'd level up Cyndaquil or Totodile if I used them. Chikorita just makes the beginning hard. Eventually I'd pick up Wooper, and Sudowoodo or someone else to take out Whitney. As the game goes on it gets easier to match types. I remember that Falkner and Whitney were tough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom