• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon TV Series

Recently ive been watching the pokemon series online (series 1 up to ep. 10) and i've been really enjoying it. I heard alot of people giving it a lot of stick for being bad. What do you guys think? I think the tv program is just as good as the games as I get the same amount of enjoyment watching as I do playing them.

The first season i would recommend to anyone, after that it just goes downhill. Each episode after season 2 is repetitive. It's always...

1. Meet new pokemon or battle
2. Team rocket steals a Pokemon
3. beat team rocket
4.Catch new Pokemon or get badge

There are a few episodes that don't follow this though. Some even have a new team trying to steal from Ash. I like the pokemon league episodes because they're different.
I'm not mocking it, i liked it but they need to change something. My favorite episode is "Attack of the Prehistoric Pokemon".

They do change the whole thing up later, some of it not for the best... For instance, Pikachu went from being a tiny electric powerhouse in the Kanto region to being pathetic in just about every other one... With the amount of traveling and the experience Ash has had... with all the regions and all the pokemon, legendary at that, Ash shouldn't lose any battles, especially with Pikachu... And the new girl in the newest season is just ********... telling Ash to give up on catching a pokemon... it's ridiculous but at the same time, the most recent season is also kind of getting back to how the series was originally.

ComposerBrother

Composer of Hyrule
It was a major part of my childhood lol, but many are right when it went downhill

Most of the characters seemed to have been more mild over time and less energetic, as if ash's fire and competitive side ran away so he can be a calm wuss.
Even though its the remains of a good series, i still occasionally find myself watching it from time to time... :D

C

CreamyBumCheeks

The first season is very good, but the newer ones (especially the Black and White episodes) are very repetitive. I personally find the movies to be consistently entertaining, however.

I like the pokemon series, I just recently started watching them as a whole rather than just sometimes on TV too. But I do have to say they have gone downhill, I miss Ash's childish-competative side, and everytime I see one of the first episodes in a season/new region (minus the first) I get kind of unimpressed because, as Crash said, Pikachu is super strong, and then as weak as when you first get a starter pokemon in the other regions, but if you fought a starter aginst another starter from a different region the battle would be close to equal (Taking into account thier weaknesses etc.)

Dragon Master

Master of Dragon Pokemon
I agree with those talking about how it went downhill, but I'm surprised no one has bothered to point out Ash's signature that he did before catching a Pokemon or went into battle. He would always turn his hat backwards. That may seem like a little thing to most people, but to me that seemed like his entire ego. Without the trademark, the constant downgrading of Pikachu's strength, and the fact that Ash always leaves his Pokemon that are actually strong behind, the series is going downhill. I know they don't want him overpowered, but at the same time they're making him look stupid and weak. He appears to be a rookie trainer in every new generation regardless that he's had much experience, and the whole Team Rocket plot has become redundant. Why don't they just move on and stalk another kid with a Pikachu, because obviously they aren't going to get his.

I agree with those talking about how it went downhill, but I'm surprised no one has bothered to point out Ash's signature that he did before catching a Pokemon or went into battle. He would always turn his hat backwards. That may seem like a little thing to most people, but to me that seemed like his entire ego. Without the trademark, the constant downgrading of Pikachu's strength, and the fact that Ash always leaves his Pokemon that are actually strong behind, the series is going downhill. I know they don't want him overpowered, but at the same time they're making him look stupid and weak. He appears to be a rookie trainer in every new generation regardless that he's had much experience, and the whole Team Rocket plot has become redundant. Why don't they just move on and stalk another kid with a Pikachu, because obviously they aren't going to get his.

I agree 100% with you on the hat thing, and the rookie part!

The first season i would recommend to anyone, after that it just goes downhill. Each episode after season 2 is repetitive. It's always...

1. Meet new pokemon or battle
2. Team rocket steals a Pokemon
3. beat team rocket
4.Catch new Pokemon or get badge

There are a few episodes that don't follow this though. Some even have a new team trying to steal from Ash. I like the pokemon league episodes because they're different.
I'm not mocking it, i liked it but they need to change something. My favorite episode is "Attack of the Prehistoric Pokemon".

This. ^ However, I did continue watching the show up until Gen V. I've only seen a few episodes of Gen V due to the fact that I'm usually into something else on Saturdays, but I plan to catch up online at some point. The episodes I HAVE seen left me with the impression that they've changed the formula of a typical episode a bit. I find this gen most interesting, as there seems to be better characters, settings, Pokemon, etc. (so far). Sure, it has flaws, but overall, it's pretty neat...

I just feel when 4Kids stopped dubbing the episodes they went downhill. But i got into the recent Black and White episodes, they remind me of the first season, i haven't watched them in the past couple of months, been doing other things. :/

I really haven't seen the show in a while, but I remember as far back as Gen II it was getting extremely repetitive. I realize as long as kids keep tuning in to watch it they probably won't bother to change it. If I were hypothetically hired as a head writer though I would try to change it up, I say they should make it serialized. Instead of Pokemon of the week (or however often they make a new episode) I say they should make it more serialized.

Ash has won a million badges and leagues, the whole premise is now absurd and even more unrealistic then it ever was before. I think they should create some huge challenge that takes an entire season to solve. Think like a multi-part show that spans a couple dozen or more episodes. Forget badges and what not make Ash and friends face a serious challenge that threatens their world. As a writer I think it would be interesting to see them tackle the darker side of what a world with Pokemon would be like.

We know groups like Team Rocket and what not, criminal organizations in Pokemon. But realistically there is no doubt someone would try to use Pokemon is true warfare. Maybe a series could be developed where Ash has to face an evil power hungry individual or origination that uses Pokemon to terrorize people and conquer the world. That's off the top of my head with a little time I could come up with something better.

Then again the idea of Ash in a war is kind of laughable but hey. It would be cool seeing Pokemon tackle real world issues in a way kids could connect to and understand. it would be probably the only thing that would make me the least bit interested in watching the show again. Even if they don't use such a dark plot it would be a refreshing change to see them go into a more serialized format instead of challenge of the week over and over.

Fig

The Altruist
All of the seasons are all good, no matter what people say or think about how terrible they could actually be. A real Pokemon fan would just enjoy watching the Pokemon anime series, which is fun to watch and always gives us fans a chance to not stress from the hard day's work of school, college, etc. Pokemon is just that awesome.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom