• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon Theory: The Player Kills Blue's Raticate

Kevin

Original PD
Site Staff
This may seem like a very morbid thing so if you can be a bit squeamish please click away now.

It's a pretty debatable theory but there are just a few things with this concept that make sense.

-On the S.S. Anne you fight your rival in Pokemon Red and Blue (In Yellow his Pokemon are different)
-After this battle the next time you can fight him is at Pokemon Tower
-Why would Blue be at Pokemon Tower? To grieve for the Raticate which mysteriously vanishes from his party and isn't replaced by another Pokemon.
-When encountered Blue says 'Your Pokemon don't look dead' and then challenges you soon after
-Blue starts to act a bit more serious from this point on and fills the spot that his Raticate leaves before he becomes the Pokemon Champion

I'm open to disagreements with this. It seems like a rather morbid idea in a Pokemon game, but some of this evidence points towards your character either killing his Raticate, the Raticate from not being able to be healed, or it just dying from other causes. Regardless, Blue's Raticate vanishes, he ends up in Pokemon Tower and it just seems to add up.

Let me know what you all think.

I've seen this theory around the web a lot of times. I'd say it's plausible, even though the game never directly said it (which may have been more of a censorship type move then anything). Considering all the circumstantial evidence it is hard to ignore that this theory has merit. So, yeah, I think it's definitely in the realm of possibility.

Link-of-Lylat

It's me!
OMG it all makes sense now! That or he shot it because he wanted something he thought was good. My brother's strongest pokemon in crystal is a raticate and he likes it!!!

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
It does make sense. I don't know whether Nintendo meant for this to be a theory about the game but I do think that the idea has merit. Mostly I think it is just a fan made idea but I think that it adds a more adult feel to a game that is deemed a child's game. Either way I like it so it makes no difference to me.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
i've heard of it before, it may not be you that kills it but it's plausible it dies at some point

I have always had a counter for that theory, Blue simply put Raticate in the Pokémon Box, you are not the only person in the Pokémon world that uses the PC in the Pokémon Center. Raticate Is not really a Powerful Pokémon and Blue focused more on Power then strategy, So I can see why he wouldn't use Raticate again. And that quote 'Your Pokemon don't look dead' that was just a Joke to annoy Red, that doesn't prove that one of Blue's Pokemon died, he would of said it out loud otherwise.

Kevin

Original PD
Site Staff
I have always had a counter for that theory, Blue simply put Raticate in the Pokémon Box, you are not the only person in the Pokémon world that uses the PC in the Pokémon Center. Raticate Is not really a Powerful Pokémon and Blue focused more on Power then strategy, So I can see why he wouldn't use Raticate again. And that quote 'Your Pokemon don't look dead' that was just a Joke to annoy Red, that doesn't prove that one of Blue's Pokemon died, he would of said it out loud otherwise.

Yeah that's plausible, but why would Blue put a Pokemon in his PC Box if he didn't have a substitute for it?

This theory definitely has merit, there is substantial evidence to say that this theory isn't just a stab in the dark. The interesting part is that, yes, Blue could have put Raticate in the box but as Kevin stated, why do this without having a replacement Pokémon to take his place?

why would Blue put a Pokemon in his PC Box if he didn't have a substitute for it?

Who says he needs a substitute? He doesn't need a replacement for Raticate. However looking at his team I think either Exeggcute, Gyarados or Growlithe replace Raticate.

Kevin

Original PD
Site Staff
Who says he needs a substitute? He doesn't need a replacement for Raticate. However looking at his team I think either Exeggcute, Gyarados or Growlithe replace Raticate.

It is a bit suspicious that Blue would box his Raticate, then go to a place where dead Pokemon are mourned, and then replace that Raticate with something else. It's not a juicy theory if Blue just puts his Raticate in the PC Box.

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
The player doesn't have to KILL Raticate. Maybe Raticate died of other causes. That scenario would lead to the same outcome, and makes a bit more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom