• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon Theory: Mixed Up Evolutions

KaeporaGaebora

TheOwlSage
I disagree with both. While Butterfree does look more like Venonat, Caterpie's evolution is based of the cycle of a butterfly, not a moth. On the Dratini/Gyarados and Magikarp/Dragonite thing, Dratini is a dragon, Magikarp is a fish. Gyarados is a fish/dragon thing based off of some mythology. While Dratini is just a standard newborn dragon.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
The first one is interesting, but I have my doubts. One thing is that the final evolutions don't really look like what they're supposed to be even though they match up with those Pokemon. "Butterfree" does not look like a butterfly and "Venomoth" doesn't look like a moth.

With the second one, again interesting, but still doubtful. The head style of Dragonair and Dragonite are more similar than that of Gyarados and Dragonair, Gyarados shares similar whiskers as Magikarp, and the style of Dragonite just doesn't fit with Magikarp AT ALL. It's one thing for this puny Pokemon to become longer and grow large teeth, but it's another thing for it to grow arms, legs, and wings.

Hmm... I dunno.

Your theory doesn't seem too far off, though. Many things are often changed, rearranged, and/or scrapped altogether during the developmental process of video games, anime, and other media; the instances that you provided might serve to attest to this fact. However, one can never be entirely sure.

To contribute my own take on this, I present to you Blaziken:

150px-257Blaziken.png

There is evidence to suggest that its design was either 1.) recycled after a scrapped design of an entirely different Pokemon, or 2.) was originally going to be a pre-evolved form of Latias and/or Latios who - given the fact that legendaries do not evolve - were probably originally just going to be regular old Pokemon (not legendaries). Whatever the case, the Pokemon seen in the per-alpha illustration below shares many physical attributes of the three aforementioned Pokemon, and the peculiarities are striking to say the very least.

800px-Latias_Blaziken.jpg

The Pokemon in the illustration above has been dubbed "Latiken" or "Latiaziken" by fans, and the rider appears to resemble the Dragon-Type Gym Leader Claire.

Prototype Pokemon and Characters

I can see the first ones, sure, but I can't really see the Magikarp to Dragonite or Dragonair to Gyarados, I guess because I'm just too used to it. Magikarp I can understand based on the head fringes.

Kevin

Original PD
Site Staff
Hmm... I dunno.

Your theory doesn't seem too far off, though. Many things are often changed, rearranged, and/or scrapped altogether during the developmental process of video games, anime, and other media; the instances that you provided might serve to attest to this fact. However, one can never be entirely sure.

To contribute my own take on this, I present to you Blaziken:

150px-257Blaziken.png

There is evidence to suggest that its design was either 1.) recycled after a scrapped design of an entirely different Pokemon, or 2.) was originally going to be a pre-evolved form of Latias and/or Latios who - given the fact that legendaries do not evolve - were probably originally just going to be regular old Pokemon (not legendaries). Whatever the case, the Pokemon seen in the per-alpha illustration below shares many physical attributes of the three aforementioned Pokemon, and the peculiarities are striking to say the very least.

800px-Latias_Blaziken.jpg

The Pokemon in the illustration above has been dubbed "Latiken" or "Latiaziken" by fans, and the rider appears to resemble the Dragon-Type Gym Leader Claire.

Prototype Pokemon and Characters

Wow! This is awesome I totally see it!

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
The Butterfree one seems pretty legit actually.
Although I'm not so sure about the other two.
Especially the Magikarp one.
Magikarp is strictly a fish more than a dragon. Although Gyrados is very dragon like, nontheless, it's still classified as a 'fish'.
Whereas Dragonair and Dratini have dragon characteristics just like Dragonite.
Also, I think that theory only wraps around the color of their skin.
Which is ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom