• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon Theory: Mixed Up Evolutions

Kevin

Original PD
Site Staff
These have been floating around the Internet for a while, but I figured I'd share them here. It's believed that due to programming errors, or not being able to implement things like holdable items that Game Freak changed evolutions around. It's been deemed programming errors, or just oversights. Keep in mind these are just theories and I may not agree with some of them, but there are a few which may leave you scratching your head.

venonatbutterfreesprite.png

Venonat-> Butterfree
--Mouth matches up and seems more plausible--
Caterpie-> Metapod -> Venomoth
--Metapods slender body seems to fit Venomoth better--

Dragonite+%2526+gyarados.png

Magikarp -> Dragonite
--Similar color, and has a similar underbelly
Dratini -> Dragonair -> Gyarados
--Color scheme stays the same, height and weight increase proportionally. Gyarados is a sea serpent similar to how Dragonair looks. Red Gyarados is later explained in Generation II as a cover-up--

That's where people normally draw the line with these but there's one more that I've thought up.

Togepi as Chansey's child form
-Chansey originally referred to as 'Lucky' in the Red and Blue Beta. Togepi's hidden ability is 'Super Luck' which seems like a stretch. However Togepi is one of the first Pokemon to be introduced to Generation II which brings up the idea that Pokemon eggs were planned for Generation I and couldn't be worked into the game so Togepi was scrapped altogether in place of Happiny in Generation II. Less plausible, but I think Togepi was a special Pokemon that was relevant in the anime. So this one is a bit offbeat and probably not true.

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
The Venonat makes sense, so does the Dratini one. The only one that doesn't is Magikarp, I think it was Supposed to be: Datini, Dragonair, and either Gyrados or Dragonite. I think it would make more sense if Magikarp was related to the Goldeen/Seaking line. But Magikarp has the same thing in his back as Gyarados so you can somewhat see what they did there.

Pie Master

Master of cakes and pies
Somewhere in the jungles of Qoetzacotloal's
Gyarados is based on the tale that if a koi jumps up a waterfall it becomes a dragon, so, there is a reason the useless Magikarp becomes Gyarados (with it not being Water/Dragon because it would be incredibly broken in Generation I)
But I agree with the rest.

Chameleon

Down for maintenance.
Every evolution stated here may be true for me, except the Magikarp one. It kind of fails to prove it as the others do. I mean, similar underbelly? Not enough proof for me. If this theory is correct, I guess Magikarp was planned to be just Magikarp and that's it, but that would contradict with what Pie Master states above. Anyway, the rest seem pretty reasonable.

I agree with Venonat -> Butterfree. You can clearly see that Venonat and Butterfree have similar, if not, the same features.

I'm not sure about Caterpie -> Metapod -> Venomoth. Caterpie's evolution line is based off the life cycle of a butterfly, and it would be really weird if the final stage came out as a moth rather than a Butterfly. However the eyes are somewhat similar, and as you say, metapod's body matches Venomoth's body better.

I disagree with Magikarp -> Dragonite. I Understand where you're coming from with similar colour, but they have similar underbelly? Absolutely not.

I disagree with Dratini -> Dragonair -> Gyarados. Gyarados looks nothing like Dragonair, the only similarity is the shape of the body. It just doesn't make sense that a elegant Sea serpent evolves into a Rough, Brutal Monster. I mean yeah it dosn't make sense that a useless fish evolves into a Monster but Magikarp does have similar features to Gyarados, like the mouth, the hairs dangling from it's mouth etc.

I think the venonat butterfree thing is a nice catch, but the magikarp and dratini lines are good the way they are. Dragonair doesn't have scales like Gyrados. I've always loved the dratini line because Dratini is adorable and it turns into noble strong dragonair and then dragonair evolves from a water snake/dragon into a full on story book dragon. Dragonite is actually my favorite pokemon in the first generation.

Fig

The Altruist
I always believed in the Dratini/Gyrados and Venonat/Butterfree theories. The Magikarp/Dragonite theory is a little bit Farfetch'D, pun intended. XD It just sounds unreal and not plausible for anyone to comprehend. But the other theories are very plausible and it could have been a misplacement in development of the original Pokemon games, but that is just my opinion.

I do belive that based on appearance your sayings match up but the designers could have wanted the evolutions set as they are

erceos33

8====D Shovel :D
I've seen this before and it seems legit, also want to point out that Venonat eyes are the same as Butterfree and that Magikarp has some whiskers things that you can also see in Dragonite's head.

dragonair has a horn as does dragonite. the togepi theory was interesting though, hadn't heard that one yet.

Kevin

Original PD
Site Staff
Gyarados is based on the tale that if a koi jumps up a waterfall it becomes a dragon, so, there is a reason the useless Magikarp becomes Gyarados (with it not being Water/Dragon because it would be incredibly broken in Generation I)
But I agree with the rest.

But couldn't the tale be true if Magikarp turns into Dragonite then because it's a dragon? I think it'd be cool if Dragonite was Dragon/Water

Dracoburn

Lance's Protégé
It makes sense that some Pokemon look like they could be related to others in RBGY. The games had limited graphics and even more limited color abilities. Though Butterfree and Venonat look strikingly similar, I think the Pokemon were supposed to be in the evolution chains that they're in. Otherwise, I think that's where egg groups come in; Pokemon with shared physical qualities being able to breed.

univpark

Heart of Steel
OOOOOO, very plausible looking. Except the Magikarp/Dragonite, that's a bit of a stretch! Cool, though. Hmm. I think that the one that looks the most real is the Venonat/Butterfree one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom