• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon Sword and Shield first impressions

Starters:

Grookey: Not a fan of any monkeys tbh, plus grass types have too many weaknesses for my liking. Just a leafy Chimchar.

Scorbunny: I’m hoping for this to be a fire/electric or even fire/fairy type and that it’s final evolution doesn’t end up looking stupid. I’m expecting it to end up football themed though, which I’m not a fan of.

Sobble: it looks like it’s Mudkip’s sad cousin.

When it comes to starters, one thing I’m not a fan of is starters that look like one gender. Primarina and Incineroar are just too feminine/masculine for how humanoid they are, plus their gender ratios being so skewed.

I like the fact that it’s based in the UK and I feel like it will be more familiar than other regions.
I saw some Stonehenge-like features in the trailer and I feel like they may play a part in the storyline, as relics like those are often though of as being mystical.
The game names are daft, but I’m interested to know that the twin wolf heads represent.

I think it'd be great if Scorbunny ended up Fire/Steel with a knight motif. It'd be a fun nod to Monty Python or the Redwall series.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
After watching the trailer again, the characters appear to walk more like normal people compared to Sun & Moon. We didn’t really see any cutscenes but hopefully they learned their lesson from last time with frozen faces. If the walking animation looks more natural, hopefully their expressions will, too.

Night Owl

~Momentai
Im excited to explore England as a pokemon trainer. From the map, it appears to be a pretty interesting place to explore.

Probably the only think I'm not excited for are the starters. I tend to get the grass starter since green is my favorite color, but im not too sure about the monkey. Ill have to see when the other evolutions get revealed. I'm willing to give a pokemon a chance if I like it's evolutions.

I don't think a grass starter will ever top Rowlett though.

Quin

Disaster Master
Pretty disappointed. I expected way more from a switch title, but I probably shouldn't have knowing gamefreak.
It just looks like an upscaled 3ds game. The graphics look subpar. battle animations are exactly the same, and other than some black outline so do the pokemon. I don't think I can handle another gen with cool pokemon like salamence and charizard looking ******** in battle.

The most disappointing thing from me was bringing back random battles. There was one thing I liked about the lets go games and that was how battles were handled. Random battles should have died in the snes era honestly, and if even dragon quest can move away from them, so can pokemon.
Don't like any of the starters, but the water lizard has some potential in its evolutions for me.

I'll still be keeping my eye on this, but they have to show something amazing before im willing to shell out 60 bucks on this.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
it's a no for me, dawg.

Seriously though, the starter designs are god awful. Looks like Pokemon OCs from deviantart

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
tumblr_inline_po29cw2awW1snya1j_1280.png

Sort of official confirmation that the gyms are in fact the soccer thing. Guess I'll die, then. ._.

Woyogoyo

The Oncoming Storm
I do believe my first impression was something like this: *squees*. On a more serious note, I do like the look of it so far, though I'll need more information before solidifying my opinion.

Honestly, my first impressions are pretty negative... While the region itself looks good, the graphics look like they're just upscaled 3DS graphics, the starters are bland, and the characters don't really interest me.

Granted, this impression is based on a short trailer... but Pokemon is going to have to do a lot to impress me, or I'll probably skip these games, sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom