• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon Sword and Shield first impressions

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I think the graphics look stunning and the town they showed us looked amazing. I’m trying to remain optimistic for some good exploration outside of the usual hallways. I love the girl trainer’s design but I’m not feeling the boy trainer’s look. Hoping for some good customization. I am completely uninterested in the soccer thing so I really hope it’s optional.

It looks good. I like that they're going for more human proportions like in Gen 7 instead of revisiting the chibi look of Gen 6 and Let's Go.

Galar looks very promising. The city clearly based on London has a bit of a steampunk vibe to it. Saw some people mentioning that the stadium we saw was a gym, which I certainly hope is the case.

Don't like the starters much, that's for sure. The boy trainer looks lame as usual, thank God for customization, but I really hope they make more facial expressions instead of having that same soulless look glued to their heads all the time. World looks alright.

As a Brit I feel as if there is a lot to unpack here.

Positive;
-I like that it's in the UK. The first original home console Pokemon game is in the UK, that's great.

-I like the map, it's England but upside down, which is funny.

-Sobble and Grookey are quite nicr looking.

-The graphics are what I expected. GameFreak never push the boat out so I wasn't expecting them to.

-I like all the nice little flourishes in the world, the Hillside Giant, the industrial and rural theme. Tasty. The gyms on the map seem to be modelled after sport stadiums which is nice.

Negative
-I'm quite worried about how hard they're leaning on the football/soccer theme.

-I don't like Scorbunny, at all.

pff... what dumb titles.....

Ok aside from that, I'm intrigued about these titles. I like the fact they've gone back to using Gyms, I didn't like Sun/Moon's trails. Different yeah, just not a fan. The graphics look alright, But I don't think they are quite as good a Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, then again this is a online video were talking about so the graphics will most likely look better on the actual Switch. The starters look good, though I have to admit, Scorbunny is a little weird.

Overall, I'm on board and will most likey enjoy these games, but still.... the titles are a little rediculous....

As a Brit I feel as if there is a lot to unpack here.

Positive;
-I like that it's in the UK. The first original home console Pokemon game is in the UK, that's great.

-I like the map, it's England but upside down, which is funny.

You know of all the time I've seen you on this forum, I never knew you were a fellow Brit. Glad I'm not the only one here :D.

And yeah, I do see a British Vibe coming from this new reigon, It took me a while, but The lass trainer and the look of the player's house in the trailer were big giveaways for me.

Sobble: Derp. Could be worse

Grookey: A big gross mass of colors. Bad

Scorbunny: “Band aid! I’m gonna be fire fighting!” Awful

The England region is good.
The logos are meh.
Hope the legends are good.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Sword and Shield looking pretty nice. The starters are ok, but if Scorbunny ends up fire/fighting I will lose any potential for liking it. The two characters look alright. Glad they went for a more normal looking person as opposed to the chibi look. Overall it just looks interesting and I'm excited to see more of it.

Sobble: Derp. Could be worse

Awwww but he's cute!

Banner-Pokemon-Sword-Shield-Sobble.jpg

His face is all "What plate? I didn't break the plate, I have no idea which plate you mean... can I go now?"

Starters:

Grookey: Not a fan of any monkeys tbh, plus grass types have too many weaknesses for my liking. Just a leafy Chimchar.

Scorbunny: I’m hoping for this to be a fire/electric or even fire/fairy type and that it’s final evolution doesn’t end up looking stupid. I’m expecting it to end up football themed though, which I’m not a fan of.

Sobble: it looks like it’s Mudkip’s sad cousin.

When it comes to starters, one thing I’m not a fan of is starters that look like one gender. Primarina and Incineroar are just too feminine/masculine for how humanoid they are, plus their gender ratios being so skewed.

I like the fact that it’s based in the UK and I feel like it will be more familiar than other regions.
I saw some Stonehenge-like features in the trailer and I feel like they may play a part in the storyline, as relics like those are often though of as being mystical.
The game names are daft, but I’m interested to know that the twin wolf heads represent.

I'm indifferent to the starters. They're not as out there as Sun & Moon's, which could be a good thing, but I'm not sure yet. I wasn't particularly fond of any of the Gen 7 starters; and I didn't keep mine on my team after a certain point. Of the three shown, I think I like Sobble the best, though mostly because he got that semi-transparency visuals going on in the cinematic trailer showcasing them. Wonder if its ability will reflect that?

Graphically and artistically, the game looks fantastic. Specifically, all the detail on the grass and foliage has me impressed. Can't wait to see what the rain looks like. If it really wants to be based on England, it's gonna need quite a bit of that

Great name. The starters are a bit bland and generic and I'm annoyed that we got another monkey and chameleon starter, instead of something unique. The region looks pretty. I'm liking that Scorbunny, but I could see myself choosing Sobble too. I'm curious to see the other Pokemon and legendaries.

Furthermore, if there was ever a time to expand fairy types, this gen is it! Since the UK has a lot of lore about the fairy folk.

I'm waiting to hear if pokebank will be made available.

I'm a bit bummed because my daughter and I can't trade. I'm not paying another $300 for a second switch just to do so. I suspect that online trading and battling will be tied to the Nintendo Online Service.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom